Rat ride pov video

FigmentJedi

And the other big thing is that, doesn't Cars take place in California? Therefore, it is a good way to add Disney magic, while "pretty much" following the theme of the park

Carburetor County is in Arizona.

It is set in Arizona, but it functions pretty well in representing California's Car Culture as well as Route 66 which was the classic way to drive to California. Additionally, Carsland's proximity to Paradise Pier recalls where Route 66 ends: The Santa Monica Pier.

Ratatouille has the same problem as Mystic Manor. If every vehicle is following a linear path through the ride and every ride vehicle is looking at the same thing, in the same order, and the ride vehicles aren't interacting...then why not just build a tracked ride? You aren't using the trackless function to any purpose.
Mystic Manor has some minor path splits with the mirrored Frost Chambers and the forked path through the Armory. Plus the vehicle dancing in the Monkey King finale.

tirian

There's no doubt about it, Gringott's will be the premier attraction this year.

I realize that you can't fully judge a ride by an online video, but I'm shocked at how underwhelming Ratatouille turned out to be. Like others already mentioned, the vehicle just moves from screen to screen with hardly anything happening in between. The animated scenes simply cut off at the floors and there's nothing to extend the animation into your physical space.

I heard so much excitement about this attraction within the company, and now that I see it, I'm tempted to repeat Michael Eisner's words when he got off Imagination 2.0 and ask where the money went.

DonaldDoleWhip

I heard so much excitement about this attraction within the company, and now that I see it, I'm tempted to repeat Michael Eisner's words when he got off Imagination 2.0 and ask where the money went.
The exterior? The revenue-generating restaurant? Otherwise, I'm equally baffled.

lazyboy97o

There's no doubt about it, Gringott's will be the premier attraction this year.

I realize that you can't fully judge a ride by an online video, but I'm shocked at how underwhelming Ratatouille turned out to be. Like others already mentioned, the vehicle just moves from screen to screen with hardly anything happening in between. The animated scenes simply cut off at the floors and there's nothing to extend the animation into your physical space.

The exterior? The revenue-generating restaurant? Otherwise, I'm equally baffled.
Maybe they spent it all on the non-details that are supposed to convince us we are entering a version of Paris where rats are celebrated, but then we enter a ride where the rats are attacked...

Bairstow

I don't understand, what's the point of having a trackless ride system if you're not going to do anything with it?

That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Ease of construction/maintenance/reliability? The attraction is not dependent on any one mechanical system to function- if a "rat" is having problems, they can just cycle it off the track.

kap91

Ease of construction/maintenance/reliability? The attraction is not dependent on any one mechanical system to function- if a "rat" is having problems, they can just cycle it off the track.

Well to be fair it does look like some of the capabilities are being used - the ability to have more than one vehicle side by side in the same room, the ability to spin on a dime, and move forwards as well as backwards seem to be used.

tirian

I don't think it looks so bad, honestly I would be glad to see it added to WDW!
But it would still be a mediocre attraction compared to what a previous generation of Imagineers did at TDL a decade ago. If they're going to add this to WDW, they need to kick it up a couple notches, like how Splash in the MK is significantly better than the original in DL.

But at this point, have the best creatives at WDI left for other companies? The latest generation of Imagineers definitely hasn't broken any new ground lately. NFL is lovely but it's just more of the same rockwork as every other Disney park, and the attractions are solid but not great. Ratatouille has beautiful architecture and a mediocre ride. TSMM is a moving Wii game (don't get me wrong; I do enjoy it!). Even RSR at Carsland is basically Test Track with rockwork.

Everest is a decade old and Rohde is struggling to get his budgetary dreams realized for Avatar.

The real innovation and dreaming — dare I say Imagineering? — seem to be at Universal right now, and I'm not a Uni fanboy. I'm one of those people who thinks HP is the only reason to go to Uni; the rest of their IP does nothing for me. Just the same, I can't deny that their philosophy of "build it and they will come" feels refreshingly like Old School Disney.

NiarrNDisney

But it would still be a mediocre attraction compared to what a previous generation of Imagineers did at TDL a decade ago. If they're going to add this to WDW, they need to kick it up a couple notches, like how Splash in the MK is significantly better than the original in DL.

But at this point, have the best creatives at WDI left for other companies? The latest generation of Imagineers definitely hasn't broken any new ground lately. NFL is lovely but it's just more of the same rockwork as every other Disney park, and the attractions are solid but not great. Ratatouille has beautiful architecture and a mediocre ride. TSMM is a moving Wii game (don't get me wrong; I do enjoy it!). Even RSR at Carsland is basically Test Track with rockwork.

Everest is a decade old and Rohde is struggling to get his budgetary dreams realized for Avatar.

The real innovation and dreaming — dare I say Imagineering? — seem to be at Universal right now, and I'm not a Uni fanboy. I'm one of those people who thinks HP is the only reason to go to Uni; the rest of their IP does nothing for me. Just the same, I can't deny that their philosophy of "build it and they will come" feels refreshingly like Old School Disney.

Maybe so! But at least it would be a new attraction to either DHS or the rumored France Pavillion just kick it up a notch!

champdisney

Do you know what makes a great screen based ride? Wen you can easily differentiate between screen and set pieces.

I think this ride is just adorable and well done. Looking forward to seeing a little more clear video, but fwiw it's rather good. Good job, WDI!
To be honest, I would be more than happy to welcome this attraction with open arms if it were to be cloned to Epcot. No one can deny the fact that it's a perfect match for a starving for attention Epcot. I hope Tom Fitzgerald delivers this beauty to the park that is now his.

Of course they can plus it up for its WDW version, though highly unlikely.

Last edited:

choco choco

Mystic Manor has some minor path splits with the mirrored Frost Chambers and the forked path through the Armory. Plus the vehicle dancing in the Monkey King finale.

The path splits into identical Frost chamber scenes, which is a waste really. The armory does give some variety, it seems that scene was actually thought out a little. The vehicles at the end don't dance so much as they circle the monkey statue.

I don't want to rag on Mystic Manor, as I do think it is quality, but there's nothing about it that couldn't have been accomplished with the Midway Mania ride system.

choco choco

Apparently the trackless ride system is a 30 million premium. So there's no way it was a cost saving issue. If this is the route they were going, I would have rathered they built a tracked system and spent 30 million on show effect/ extra scenes/ more ride/ at least some animatronics.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Guys never judge something if you don't experience it. Ride reviews have been very positive.

Unfortunately it could be months or years before people here can ride this, and a lot will never get the opportunity, so I don't have a problem expressing their opinions based on available information. It's not like this is a movie where we all have equal opportunity to see it within a very small time frame.

FigmentJedi

The path splits into identical Frost chamber scenes, which is a waste really. The armory does give some variety, it seems that scene was actually thought out a little. The vehicles at the end don't dance so much as they circle the monkey statue.

I don't want to rag on Mystic Manor, as I do think it is quality, but there's nothing about it that couldn't have been accomplished with the Midway Mania ride system.
Not identical, the image is flipped between rooms. Only reason they even split it was to give it a sense of intimacy while still getting multiple vehicles through.

kap91

Everest isn't exactly an example of great imagineering and carsland and rrsr are amazing. The animatronics alone there make it 500% better than tt and are evidence of imagineers still doing their job. But yes as far as ride systems and scale go - universal is definitely taking the lead. Here's hoping it's momentary. Because that combined with Disney's story sense and sceneic design could really be something.

Disneyhead'71

I was stunned at how little effort was put into blending the animation and the physical sets./floor. Particularly the scenes with the black and white tile floor animation. How it just chops off at the floor is distracting. And I am not sure how much I care for the parts where several ride vehicles stop side by side to clearly watch a movie.

I think both Spider-man and Transformers do this trick better. That said, it looks like a fun ride and I think it will be popular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom