Cars Land, Star Wars Land, Monstropolis...

Mike S

Oddly enough this is not the strategy for Pandora or Carsland at DCA. Perhaps SWL will also be a complete land at ribbon cutting--- if it gets built at WDW.
I'm confident it will get built here, someday. Star Wars is too big for them to do absolutely nothing here while other parks would get it. Plus, we're in the unique situation of not having Star Tours in Tomorrowland meaning we could just build around it. I really don't see how Disneyland would get a full land unless that rumor of them basically turning their TL into SWL comes true, which is really stupid IMO. They could just add a new Star Wars ride to DCA though which would be better. I don't know about the other parks worldwide, but those are my thoughts on the US resorts.

jt04

I'm confident it will get built here, someday. Star Wars is too big for them to do absolutely nothing here while other parks would get it. Plus, we're in the unique situation of not having Star Tours in Tomorrowland meaning we could just build around it. I really don't see how Disneyland would get a full land unless that rumor of them basically turning their TL into SWL comes true, which is really stupid IMO. They could just add a new Star Wars ride to DCA though which would be better. I don't know about the other parks worldwide, but those are my thoughts on the US resorts.

Fortunately WDW has no such problems. If WDW turned Tomorrowland into SWL, they could still have a Tomorrowland. It would just be called Future World. Nothing would be better in my opinion.

LaunchPadMcQuack

Holy crap. Not that I'm interested in SW Land, but what's with the lack of will? Is Disney waiting to see how the first new SW installment does in theaters, or what?

Hopefully, though, something Frozen-related will happen. Something ambitious, something good, something soon. Or is that too much to hope for?

For SW Land, I don't think they would be waiting to see how the new movies do. They green-lit Pandora without knowing how the new Avatar trilogy will do.

This is hard to understand because I know a gazillion Star Wars fans and I do not know a single Avatar fan.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For SW Land, I don't think they would be waiting to see how the new movies do. They green-lit Pandora without knowing how the new Avatar trilogy will do.

This is hard to understand because I know a gazillion Star Wars fans and I do not know a single Avatar fan.
I agree. They will likely break ground on something Star Wars before the new movies come out. It's just unlikely it will be at WDW. The guy from WDI who is in charge of Star Wars is also in charge of special projects at DLR. It's a safe bet that a Star Wars expansion will open on the west coast first.

aladdin2007

I agree. They will likely break ground on something Star Wars before the new movies come out. It's just unlikely it will be at WDW. The guy from WDI who is in charge of Star Wars is also in charge of special projects at DLR. It's a safe bet that a Star Wars expansion will open on the west coast first.

Yeah and then we will get some half done cheaper version of whatever they get. sigh

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah and then we will get some half done cheaper version of whatever they get. sigh
Probably. But WDW will have a larger meet and greet area;)

The sad part is that DHS has a perfect space to build a very nice, very large Star Wars Land. At DLR it has to be crammed into some corner of Tomorrowland where it won't fit or have as much space. This should be the one exception to the rule that DLR gets the better version. They should be building a fully integrated SW Land at DHS and then clone the e-ticket ride and maybe the Cantina at DL.

Kman101

That's what I just don't get with this company. They'd rather shoehorn it into Disneyland's Tomorrowland and Disneyland Paris when Hollywood Studios sits there begging for something and already has a very mini SW 'land' right there. It's just dumb. It has to be TDO. I'd like a better understanding of how things actually work. Does TDO get a set amount of money and they just refuse to do anything with it? Yet they cut and cut. How Disney operates makes very little sense to me. Yet they can throw billions at the other parks like it's nothing?

DinoInstitute

Tomorrowland should just be renamed Sci-Fi City considering that's what the first half of Tomorrowland has become
I agree- and leave "future" like things to Epcot

That's what I just don't get with this company. They'd rather shoehorn it into Disneyland's Tomorrowland and Disneyland Paris when Hollywood Studios sits there begging for something and already has a very mini SW 'land' right there. It's just dumb. It has to be TDO. I'd like a better understanding of how things actually work. Does TDO get a set amount of money and they just refuse to do anything with it? Yet they cut and cut. How Disney operates makes very little sense to me. Yet they can throw billions at the other parks like it's nothing?
Its a shame, because that means that there wouldn't be a new addition to WDW parks until 2017... its like they don't care to update WDW because "there is already so much to do here!" or "We just finnished the LARGEST expansion in MK's history!" and "We are starting the LARGEST expansion in DAK's history!"

Also, for those of you who don't mind the hat, do you guys think this would make a pretty coolupdate? I stumbled across it earlier.
3225.dhs_2D00_guide_2D00_2_2D00_hat.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think something this large comes down from Burbank not local management. One issue with WDW is the multi-day tickets and the heavy dependence on hotel room revenues. If having a large SW Land means adding 1 extra day to a 5 or 7 day trip that means next to nothing in theme park ticket sales. They would need to make most of the profit from food and merchandise. On the West coast it's a lot more day trips and AP holders. With Carsland a lot of people are visiting DCA, but they need to keep DL fresh or people will just visit DCA instead of DL. The goal there is to force people to spend 2 days (1 at each park).

I do think Star Wars is one of the few franchises that can draw brand new guests to WDW. There are definitely a huge number of SW fans worldwide and I bet there are a lot of people who would plan a trip to WDW just to see new SW stuff. I think the issue is quantifying the numbers and projecting a ROI. In this case I think they can do it.

Where TDO might come in is that once the project is built they have to operate and maintain it. The "value engineering" that we hear about is to save money on construction but also sometimes to save money on maintenance. If the ride has complex AAs and a lot of physical sets it cost more to maintain then a screen based attraction. What could happen is if they add SW related stuff to DHS they could cut other areas to pay for the increased operations costs. Cut a show or a parade or close another expensive ride.

Mouse Trap

A Frozen overlay to Maelstrom is actually pure genius by the WDW. It'll turn Maelstrom from just an attraction to an OMG I MUST TAKE MY KIDS attraction. I'm sure we would see lengthy waits and increased attendance in EPCOT from such a simple change.

It really is total genius by WDW. Minimal cost, maximum appeal. Sure it's cutting corners, but the children sure won't be happy if mom and dad skip the Mael-err Frozen ride.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree- and leave "future" like things to Epcot

Its a shame, because that means that there wouldn't be a new addition to WDW parks until 2017... its like they don't care to update WDW because "there is already so much to do here!" or "We just finnished the LARGEST expansion in MK's history!" and "We are starting the LARGEST expansion in DAK's history!"

Also, for those of you who don't mind the hat, do you guys think this would make a pretty coolupdate? I stumbled across it earlier.
3225.dhs_2D00_guide_2D00_2_2D00_hat.jpg

Well, Frozen/Maelstrom could open by the end of 2015 or sooner as well as the additional theater and updated movie for Soarin. Neither is a new attraction. The night show at DAK is slated for 2016 now too. No new rides, but some stuff.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A Frozen overlay to Maelstrom is actually pure genius by the WDW. It'll turn Maelstrom from just an attraction to an OMG I MUST TAKE MY KIDS attraction. I'm sure we would see lengthy waits and increased attendance in EPCOT from such a simple change.

It really is total genius by WDW. Minimal cost, maximum appeal. Sure it's cutting corners, but the children sure won't be happy if mom and dad skip the Mael-err Frozen ride.
This is all true. It would also be true if they had a full Frozen section at DHS complete with a longer, more filled out dark ride, a proper meet and greet area and possibly even a restaurant. It's not that Frozen in the parks is a bad idea, it's just the choice of venue. The only real benefit to guests is it should open much faster than a new ride. I personally would rather wait and have something better plus keep Maelstrom.

Mouse Trap

This is all true. It would also be true if they had a full Frozen section at DHS complete with a longer, more filled out dark ride, a proper meet and greet area and possibly even a restaurant. It's not that Frozen in the parks is a bad idea, it's just the choice of venue. The only real benefit to guests is it should open much faster than a new ride. I personally would rather wait and have something better plus keep Maelstrom.

I'm with you, but I'm not sure what is more plausible. I could easily see Disney announcing a Frozen "something" in EPCOT followed by Star Wars Land at DHS. This would spread out major attractions between two parks and ramping up the appeal at both parks rather than just one.

doctornick

I dunno that Mater's would be a 'kiddie ride'. It seems fun to me and I've heard a lot of praise for it. The Flying Tires seems to be hit or miss.

I wouldn't label Mater's as a "kiddie ride" -- in fact, the way you get thrown around could potential bang up a smaller child (and the ride does have a height restriction, so there's no handheld infants). For a flat ride, it's actually quite enjoyable for adults, if you are into that sort of things. I know some people don't like to be jostled around in a ride, but if you tolerate/like that sort of thing, it's a very well done ride to experience it with both the appearance, the queue and the music.

Kman101

That sounds likely as to what they will do (just a matter of which decade ...) but it's still just a band-aid fix. Epcot and DHS need a lot more than just Soarin upgrades, Frozen and Star Wars Land.

Mouse Trap

That sounds likely as to what they will do (just a matter of which decade ...) but it's still just a band-aid fix. Epcot and DHS need a lot more than just Soarin upgrades, Frozen and Star Wars Land.

I think DHS would be just fine with a Star Wars Land. Realistically, a new ride, quick service restaurant, larger themed dining and a large character meet-and-greet. Sure we would all like to see more, but those additions would put DHS on the top of many to do lists.

doctornick

I think if they did a fully fleshed out Star Wars Land (2+ additional rides, a show, maybe a walk though Millenium Falcon, M&Gs and food) that it would be a lot of what DHS needs. Another Pixar ride (use Soundstage 1 already!) and changing over VOLTM or BatB to new shows and you'd have a refreshed park and still be able to use Backlot Tour/LMA for a large scale expansion in the future.

Kman101

Agreed. If it's a FULLY fleshed out Star Wars Land, and they would still need to replace either VOTLM or B&TB (really, both, even though I like them still), but that would be exactly what the park needs. I think JUST SW Land and leaving the theaters with the same shows would be a mistake, even though it would be a hit and draw crowds. And at this point, they should just leave Backlot Tour and LMA. LMA seems to be fairly well liked and I still appreciate the idea behind the Backlot Tour. They also need to fill that empy soundstage next to Toy Story Mania.

DinoInstitute

Actually, I thought of the idea the other day-- I think Frozen would be a good replacement for VOTLM. Think about it, they could really take advantage of the film, light, and other special effect uses in that show and give Frozen the respect in the parks it deserves.

I think B&TB is popular enough right now as it is and keeps some older movies in the parks.

SWL, IMO, would be best over the area that is Indy, Back lot express, and parts of commissary and echo lake area. Im sure that they could fit a m&g, restaurant, new e- ticket ride, and a spinner still with plenty of space to spread around (well, maybe not plenty...).

Pixar Place really needs 1 more ride at worst to make it feel completer...*coughs*.... and would be great in SS1. It really doesn't even have to be an e-ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom