Cars Land, Star Wars Land, Monstropolis...

Jose

Original Poster
What happens with all these projects? they have been stalled because of the MyMagic+ plan?
Thanks

Mike S

I really don't see why they won't go ahead with Star Wars Land already. Do they not see that it would attract the same or more amount of people that Harry Potter did when it first opened? If money is the reason than that's even more stupid cause they would easily make their money back and more within one year, I guarantee it. I just don't get TDO's idiocy.

Jose

Original Poster
I really don't see why they won't go ahead with Star Wars Land already. Do they not see that it would attract the same or more amount of people that Harry Potter did when it first opened? If money is the reason than that's even more stupid cause they would easily make their money back and more within one year, I guarantee it. I just don't get TDO's idiocy.
+10000000000000

doctornick

The only reason I can see stalling for a Star Wars land is if they want to finalize any details from the new trilogy to use such ideas for the new land. And they might not want WDI getting their hands on too much inside info re: Episode VII for fear of leaks/spoilers (and Abrams has a rep for being secretive so he might be resistant to giving out details).

Still, I don't see why you couldn't do a "Phase 1" now and make a "Phase 2" more new-sequel heavy. At a minimum, convert Backlot Express to the Mos Eisley Cantina already.

BrianLo

The only reason I can see stalling for a Star Wars land is if they want to finalize any details from the new trilogy to use such ideas for the new land.

This. They've even acknowledged as much and have shifted resources to a dedicated Star Wars portion of WDI. It's coming, the plans just aren't yet finalized.

Carsland and Monstropolis also suffered from the "better idea" coming along before the trigger was pulled. In this case Monstropolis was pushed aside by Carsland, which was pushed aside by the Star Wars purchase. Any "toon" additions that may have been percolating will realistically be pushed aside by Frozen now.

Of course in a better world they'd just green light them as they go along. DHS should have already opened the Door Coaster, be mid construction on another major Pixar addition and have Starwars ready to start construction in a year or two.

Alas it sits with nothing happening...

zweltar

As much as MM+ has seemingly hindered progress on new projects, it seems that indecisiveness and inaction have equal roles in the stalling of new attractions being built. They, from all appearances, sit around until everything is perfect, but by then a new flavor-of-the-month arrives and the previous idea is forgotten about.
Just DO something (I don't mean close things or cut entertainment, though).

Kman101

If they had greenlit Monsters Inc. back in 2008/2009, golly gee it would probably be open by now, but then they wouldn't have a place to shill overpriced Star Wars merch (and I love Star Wars, don't take that the wrong way anyone). Or it could have opened with Monsters University last year.

Cars Land would have been under construction by this point if it had been truly greenlit in 2013 (I would assume it would be) ... one project should lead right to another.

Sigh. So much potential and they refuse to spend any money at DHS or Epcot. It's really frustrating.

The problem is though, people continue to spend money and visit many stale (to us) attractions and WDW uses the excuse of "well it's new to them". Don't they SEE what Cars Land and a small overhaul of DCA did? They REALLY don't believe a small re-do of DHS wouldn't drive traffic even more? I'm just not getting how they operate.

PhotoDave219

If SWW is a ridiculous success this year, I predict that Glendale will greenlight the project.

They need the numbers to back up the ideas..... sadly

JohnD

I think Disney will wait until after Ep VII. They're probably banking on the $$$ flowing in from ticket sales. Then they'll have extra money to spend on a SW land.

Bolt

On a positive note - most of the MM+ roll out team ends their project in less than a month so less being spent.

Magenta Panther

Regarding (ugh) Star Wars Land...maybe Disney is waiting to see if there really IS a demand for more Star Wars movies before committing any land to the franchise. After all, look what happened with the Muppets... ;)

The high attendance for Star Wars Weekends should be a little reassuring to the suits, though. But is that attraction based on fresh new interest, or mere nostalgia?

Disney ought to be focusing any new "Land" or attraction dollars on Frozen, IMO. First of all, it's a Disney-spawned film. And it fits perfectly into the aesthetics of WDW. And if anything could be a Potter Swatter, it's that film, since, as I understand it, little boys are quite into it as well.

tl77

Yeah I agree Star Wars Land is inevitable not only because of how much money they stand to make but because of how much money they spent to buy it.

But Star Wars Land probably knocks Carsland down a few notches in terms of priory for DHS, and Tomorrowland already has a Monster's Inc. show. Maybe something like the Crush Coaster or the new Ratatouille ride from Paris instead?

jt04

I would also like to add that once Pandora opens that the entire "quadrant" of DAK on the north and west portion of the park will be entirely "matured". This seems to me to be a fairly rare occurance for WDW parks. And it is an important milestone. It will have reached the point that we know the parks should reach. It seems to me they are trying to do this with all new adds. The FLE, the new HUB and crowd management systems for the MK and establishing Soarin as a long term fixture. These are adds that will last many decades. It all seems too slow to us but they are moving in the right direction when they do act. TDO/TWDC are not just treading water.

~glass half full~

David Matte

Why do people assume a new Star Wars expansion in HS is stalled? Regardless of what they might have reported in the past, the second Disney officially acquired Lucasfilm I'm certain they committed resources toward future development. Before Disney will announce anything, they need to decide precisely what they plan to do and what current attractions will need to be removed or modified. I doubt money is really an issue considering that Disney Parks is seeing record profits.

It makes complete sense that they would be tight lipped right now. First, Episode VII doesn't come out until next year and if they plan to integrate any of that plot into future attractions they aren't going to spill the beans so early. Second, fans are crazy. We tend to psychoanalyze every bit of news and structure vacations around this stuff. I know people who cancelled plans just because SDMC wouldn't be open during visit, and that's just one ride. I'm not saying it's rational...only that some fans are crazy.

Truthfully, the only really f'up thing I see in all of this is that Disney signed the contract for the Avatar expansion before they knew what they had. The next Avatar movie is still 2 years away. Plenty of time for people to tire of 3D and realize that Avatar was only as successful as it was because of the 3D gimmick (sorry James Cameron).

If I were Disney, I would do everything I could to add a robust Star Wars expansion to HS with an opening day in Spring 2016 with full tie-in with the new trilogy.

My .02

jt04

Why do people assume a new Star Wars expansion in HS is stalled? Regardless of what they might have reported in the past, the second Disney officially acquired Lucasfilm I'm certain they committed resources toward future development. Before Disney will announce anything, they need to decide precisely what they plan to do and what current attractions will need to be removed or modified. I doubt money is really an issue considering that Disney Parks is seeing record profits.

It makes complete sense that they would be tight lipped right now. First, Episode VII doesn't come out until next year and if they plan to integrate any of that plot into future attractions they aren't going to spill the beans so early. Second, fans are crazy. We tend to psychoanalyze every bit of news and structure vacations around this stuff. I know people who cancelled plans just because SDMC wouldn't be open during visit, and that's just one ride. I'm not saying it's rational...only that some fans are crazy.

Truthfully, the only really f'up thing I see in all of this is that Disney signed the contract for the Avatar expansion before they knew what they had. The next Avatar movie is still 2 years away. Plenty of time for people to tire of 3D and realize that Avatar was only as successful as it was because of the 3D gimmick (sorry James Cameron).

If I were Disney, I would do everything I could to add a robust Star Wars expansion to HS with an opening day in Spring 2016 with full tie-in with the new trilogy.

My .02

Second guessing Cameron? Good luck with that.

Kman101

No, WDW isn't hurting for money (IMO they sure shouldn't be!) But Team Disney Orlando is notoriously cheap and refuses to spend money. So I'd assume the heads in Burbank would have to push them to do any improvements. Unless the controlling forces behind the cash spending refuses to approve anything until MM+ shows profit so it really very well could be stalled, delayed or pushed off until later this year or next year. It's pretty clear SWW will happen, IMO, it's just a matter of when.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom