Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

ParentsOf4

Guests at UNI resorts are of a noticeably higher caliber than guests at Disney resorts.
I gotta jump in here. I was pleasantly surprised at the apparent uptick in Animal Kingdom Lodge clientele during my visit last week. Plenty of respectably dressed families.

At night, the crowd at Jiko had a distinctly upscale vibe to it. You remember, sort of like the 1990s when professional adult couples used to visit WDW sans children.

Maybe the word is getting out that Animal Kingdom Lodge is WDW's best hotel. :D

Or maybe the Honey Boo Boo crowd is spending the family fortune so they can stay at a Monorail Resort. :rolleyes:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Cabana Bay. ... Where do I start?

Hmm ... well, about the time my trip was starting, all the local Lifestylers were staying there because they just have to be at the opening of any/everything (well, not Shanghai Disneyland, but ...) and, apparently, Tom Schroeder and Company actually had the gall to make them pay for rooms like anyone else and boy, were they up a storm in the Twitverse.

Quite entertaining really. Like watching mentally challenged kitties trying to catch their tails.

But the resort is quite stunning in some ways. It's just like Pop Century at WDW. That is, if PC had class, large rooms, actual amenities and real theming.

It was quite beautiful to walk around at night. Oh, and they can afford themed merchandise including retro candy!!! Must have cost Disney a small fortune to make mugs and ASMu keychains and tees.

It's hard to call any resort with a bowling alley, lazy river, Starbucks, modern Jack Lalane workout facility etc a 'value' resort ... but Disney calls motels with tacky decorations that were charging $140 a night for a standard room last week (Hyatt Regency O-Town, former Peabody, was going for $143) 'resorts' so whatever.

One major complaint. They wouldn't show me a room. Seriously. You are a guest at their sister property and want to check out a room and the manager refuses? BTW, the front desk clerk knew the manager was not making the right call but ...

From what I could see, the rooms are still way too small for me, the TV is on top of the door and I don't have fond memories of the old motor inns that they are romanticizing. ... When comparing to AoA, they also lose out by having only one bathroom. ... But when you look at the prices, well, there is real value AND quality to be had here.

StageFrenzy

Honestly, this thing doesn't impress me anymore in completed form than it did when I heard the announcement. Sure, it will have absurd lines ... and even absurder reviews from Lifestylers. But the biggest positive I see from it is the return of kinetics to an area that lost so much with the subs and Skyway removal.
The 7DMT and FLE as a whole are an interesting duality. They represent the height of Imagineering, place making and theming on the outside. On the inside they seem to be filled with shallow experiences and half measures. I think the 7DMT and surrounding environs look amazing but ultimately it is a kiddie coaster, a poorly executed dark ride and M+G. 7DMT should have been the icing on the cake not the cake, or the icing on the icing.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I gotta jump in here. I was pleasantly surprised at the apparent uptick in Animal Kingdom Lodge clientele during my visit last week. Plenty of respectably dressed families.

At night, the crowd at Jiko had a distinctly upscale vibe to it. You remember, sort of like the 1990s when professional adult couples used to visit WDW sans children.

Or maybe the Honey Boo Boo crowd is spending the family fortune so they can stay at a Monorail Resort. :rolleyes:

I had a similar experience last spring at DAK Lodge. But remember, many of the Pixie Dusters don't like it because it is too far away from the fiberglass castle at the outlet mall gone bad theme park. ... I also had a great meal at Jiko where most (not all) of the folks actually looked like they belonged in a restaurant with no burgers or chicken fingers on the menu.

I do believe the MK resorts and EPCOT resorts attract more of a lower element on average ... purely my anecdotal (though highly educated) opinion.

Shame we weren't able to touch base. I think it would have been fascinating ...

jlsHouston

Honey Boo Boo ?:oops::hilarious:

WDW1974

Original Poster
The 7DMT and FLE as a whole are an interesting duality. They represent the height of Imagineering, place making and theming on the outside. On the inside they seem to be filled with shallow experiences and half measures. I think the 7DMT and surrounding environs look amazing but ultimately it is a kiddie coaster, a poorly executed dark ride and M+G. 7DMT should have been the icing on the cake not the cake, or the icing on the icing.

'New Fantasyland' remains a major FAIL to me. Sure, it absolutely looks good. especially at night. Hell, it even has a themed merchandise location.

But there is no substance there whatsoever. A $425 million project and no substance. Just how can that be? It's all so fake and plastic and superficial.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Poly remains a mess, although the fountain was still there and on ... and Captain Cook's was still there and open.
But major work is ongoing on some of the longhouses and those bungalows on the water ... well, who wouldn't want to pay the equivalent to $2,000 a night to be on top of the TTC, right?

Talked to a DVC pal and Disney really wants a BLT South, but there are many reasons why that can't happen without loads of infrastructure work ... and they won't pay for the RC site, so it really appears that an EPCOT DVC resort is the next up (and will likely be announced before 10/1).

Kuzcotopia

Out of curiosity, is the difference you see solely about the way their dressed? Or are we talking behavior? Is there a weight limit or a facial asymmetry I am not aware of?

What separates a "respectable family" from a "Honey Boo Boo" crowd?

WDW1974

Original Poster
MK's new parade?

Certainly the best parade in decades. A huge improvement. Dragon even worked for me. ... Still, for a Steve Davison joint, it is weak. Music isn't really memorable and it has a 'best of' feel. Still, great improvement. Fun and beautiful floats. Let's just hope it isn't still playing in 2024.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Went to both Disney water parks, but didn't manage to set foot in EPCOT (illness, weather, circumstances, do NOT ask!) and one thing is crystal clear: TL is kept to a much higher standard than BB is. I have no idea what happens when BB closes for three months every year, but my strong guess is Disney saves on three months worth of labor and electricity and water etc. because the park is showing some signs of neglect and TL looks like it opened yesterday.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I drove by. I glared. I snorted. I may have passed gas too.

But I didn't stop at TSFKaDD. It is a mess and I have no need or desire to go anywhere near it right now. One thing not lacking in FL would be malls.

If you are by the Mall at Millenia, I have a burger suggestion for you ...Burger21.com

bhg469

So, Disney doesn't sell Marvel merchandise in the MK anymore. But UNI sells DC Comics and Star Wars merchandise. Interesting.

Oh, and Mythos is still great. Stories of its demise are flat out not true.
Mythos was delicious for our visit, and I would have never gone there if it weren't for these threads. Wonderfully cooked steak and the wife had some very tasty pasta.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom