Avatar construction aerial updates

doctornick

I'm cool with two Avatar rides. If they were to add a third I would hope it were in another section of the park or a method of transportation.

Oh, I agree. I think that two Avatar themed rides is fine. But I would love to hear plans for adding other rides to the park as part of this expansion. It needs more than two additional rides to help with the capacity issues it has -- especially with the plans to extend hours into the evening.

JLipnick

since the ground breaking almost a month ago now, has there been any sign of any ground clearing or construction yet?

ml123_9

Good catch. Here's a closer view

i-mCMhqP6-XL.jpg

Now that's progress! Thanks for the photos.

mm121

If you look at the old theatre there were a number of support buildings behind it, these were probably consolidated into the structure that is now attached to the new building.

some of the old buildings by the old FofLK were also apparently used for the parade, which has now been canceled, as such those buildings aren't being replaced :(

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Latest view...even the ground breaking sand is still there after all the rain we've had :)

Click to enlarge...

So it looks like the have built a staging area and there is a little excavation going on at the top of the picture but not much else has changed since last time. Actually the staging area may have been there last time but the picture didn't cover that area.

Sassagoula-Rvr

In my limited experience following large scale construction...(and I mean just watching buildings/complexes be built when I say "experience") it always seems to me like clearing land/building staging areas/site infastructure. is half the battle...it always feels like once that is done...boom...holes are dug...footings are poured...and we have construction.

Tom

Beta Return
So it looks like the have built a staging area and there is a little excavation going on at the top of the picture but not much else has changed since last time. Actually the staging area may have been there last time but the picture didn't cover that area.

I assume we'll see some demolition permits soon, for FotLK and the old MnG area. Unless they lump it into one larger permit for Area Development.

The staging area is carved into the site more than I expected. And the site, in general, just doesn't look very big....or at least not big enough to do what they're proposing. It might end up being cramped. But it will most definitely been seen from outside the park, so everything will likely be themed 360*.

Tom

Beta Return
In my limited experience following large scale construction...(and I mean just watching buildings/complexes be built when I say "experience") it always seems to me like clearing land/building staging areas/site infastructure. is half the battle...it always feels like once that is done...boom...holes are dug...footings are poured...and we have construction.

Yes. Site Development takes a while. For a small footprint like this, they'll need to have all the underground utilities and infrastructure in before they start working too hard on the buildings. Storm sewer, sanitary sewer, power, communication, water, steam, gas....all needs to go in so they can leave as much room open for traffic as possible.

They'll also need to grade the entire place to as close to final elevations as possible, since it's very difficult to do that once buildings are in place.

Then excavation, footings, and you bring it up out of the ground. Then, we all watch and think nothing is going on for two years.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I assume we'll see some demolition permits soon, for FotLK and the old MnG area. Unless they lump it into one larger permit for Area Development.

The staging area is carved into the site more than I expected. And the site, in general, just doesn't look very big....or at least not big enough to do what they're proposing. It might end up being cramped. But it will most definitely been seen from outside the park, so everything will likely be themed 360*.

Good point about the staging area. Looks like the majority of Avatar land is going to be within the footprint of the existing CMM.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's interesting to note that according to Google Earth, the fence around that staging area has been there since at least as far back as 10/15/2012.

Tom

Beta Return
I'd rather it was smaller with higher quality then larger with expanses of nothingness.

But if you've ever been to Disneyland, you'll know that leaving room for large pathways is critical. Pathways are inexpensive, so using more of the land and just spacing things out more would be the best option for guests and traffic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom