Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

tracyandalex

If you want to see Cars Land that bad, then get the hopper. There's more to DCA than just Cars Land.

There are great quick service spots. You should be fine with quick service.

Do you think we would be able to see enough of both parks to make it worth the additional almost $200?
Glad to hear there is good QS with such limited time we don't want to waste time on TS.

Californian Elitist

Do you think we would be able to see enough of both parks to make it worth the additional almost $200?
Glad to hear there is good QS with such limited time we don't want to waste time on TS.

Honestly, no. There are way too many attractions in both parks to see in one day. If you really don't want to spend the extra money, which is what I'm sensing, just go to Disneyland.

For food, I'd recommend French Market, Plaza Inn, Rancho Del Zocalo, etc.

tracyandalex

Honestly, no. There are way too many attractions in both parks to see in one day. If you really don't want to spend the extra money, which is what I'm sensing, just go to Disneyland.

For food, I'd recommend French Market, Plaza Inn, Rancho Del Zocalo, etc.

Hhhmmm something to think about. Thank you for all of your help!

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
So glad i found this thread. I have been searching for trip info for Xmas week planning.

Does anybody know what the Carthay Circle or Storytellers did for the recent Thanksgiving menus? I assume Xmas Day will be similar. I have looked and searched and googled to try to get specific info because I am trying to decide between the two. I am also worried about exiting DCA on Xmas Day for Noon meal. Will we have trouble re-entering the park due to crowds? I also am considering the World of Color dining package. I wonder if Disney allows any discounts (PAP or DVC) or if they have the holiday up charge I have heard about…
Thanks for any info and help. Really appreciate it since we will have a large family group visiting from AZ , TX and KS.

Carthay won't have a special menu for Christmas Day, it will be the normal winter menu. I'd recommend getting the dining package for WOC with Carthay Circle (or one of the other restaurants that offer it) to ensure World of Color seating on what will be a very crowded day. It's unlikely you'd have trouble re-entering the park, but it will be very crowded nonetheless. You will be able to get a Premium AP discount at Carthay on your meal.

And LOL @ holiday period food prices - DLR doesn't pull that kind of crap on its guests like WDW does.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
WDW jacks up the food prices during Christmas, or something?

Yup, and other "peak" periods. Take a look at this page to see the "price range" for dinner at Akershus (princess dining in Epcot). There's almost a $10 difference between the adult non-peak price and the adult peak price.

http://allears.net/menu/menu_nor.htm

They really have balls of steel down there.

Californian Elitist

Yup, and other "peak" periods. Take a look at this page to see the "price range" for dinner at Akershus (princess dining in Epcot). There's almost a $10 difference between the adult non-peak price and the adult peak price.

http://allears.net/menu/menu_nor.htm

They really have balls of steel down there.

Don't even get me started....:facepalm:

Wow. Note to self: Don't visit WDW during holiday and peak seasons. That's just mean.

sweetpee_1993

Wow. Note to self: Don't visit WDW during holiday and peak seasons. That's just mean.
Its opportunistic. To me, it's something I'd rather not know they do. The food doesn't cost more, the utilities aren't more expensive, and I promise with the exception of specific holiday days the CMs aren't making a higher wage. They do it because they can get away with it and it really, deeply bothers me. Feels so shamelessly shady. Ugh!

So happy to be joining y'all happy Californians for a week this spring. Flights booked this morning! WooHOO!

Nemo14

Its opportunistic. To me, it's something I'd rather not know they do. The food doesn't cost more, the utilities aren't more expensive, and I promise with the exception of specific holiday days the CMs aren't making a higher wage. They do it because they can get away with it and it really, deeply bothers me. Feels so shamelessly shady. Ugh!

But it's more Magical!

Californian Elitist

So happy to be joining y'all happy Californians for a week this spring. Flights booked this morning! WooHOO!

What?! That's great!
clapping.gif
How many days are you devoting to the DLR?

sweetpee_1993

What?! That's great!
clapping.gif
How many days are you devoting to the DLR?
Are you kidding???? 5+. LOL! I know y'all think I'm crazy for putting so many days in. In my defense, here's my thinking: of all the things I will someday do in California, DL tops the list. Next on my list is San Fran but with only Sunday thru Saturday I know feeling satisfied with time for both isn't going to happen. My first trip to CA I really wanna keep it simple and not chance spreading myself thin. Its vacation. We won't be full commando sun-up to sun-down. I don't work that way. I need a nap or someone could get hurt in the late afternoon. ;) I want to take it slow and explore every nook and cranny. I don't want to leave with regrets. So, to keep it simple, we'll plan for DL for this trip. That's not to say I wouldn't rent a car on the fly and go go go if that becomes the thing to do. I've been carefully watching y'all's "other things" thread and making mental notes. I don't super crazy micro-plan. Mostly I'm keeping the slate clear and thrilled to be experiencing Uncle Walt's park. If we decide on the fly to venture off a bit, well, that's all lagniappe for us. ;)

So, yeah! Arriving Sunday, 4/27 and staying thru Saturday, 5/3. WooHOO! I'm so stinkin' excited!

Californian Elitist

Are you kidding???? 5+. LOL! I know y'all think I'm crazy for putting so many days in. In my defense, here's my thinking: of all the things I will someday do in California, DL tops the list. Next on my list is San Fran but with only Sunday thru Saturday I know feeling satisfied with time for both isn't going to happen. My first trip to CA I really wanna keep it simple and not chance spreading myself thin. Its vacation. We won't be full commando sun-up to sun-down. I don't work that way. I need a nap or someone could get hurt in the late afternoon. ;) I want to take it slow and explore every nook and cranny. I don't want to leave with regrets. So, to keep it simple, we'll plan for DL for this trip. That's not to say I wouldn't rent a car on the fly and go go go if that becomes the thing to do. I've been carefully watching y'all's "other things" thread and making mental notes. I don't super crazy micro-plan. Mostly I'm keeping the slate clear and thrilled to be experiencing Uncle Walt's park. If we decide on the fly to venture off a bit, well, that's all lagniappe for us. ;)

So, yeah! Arriving Sunday, 4/27 and staying thru Saturday, 5/3. WooHOO! I'm so stinkin' excited!

I think you've got a great plan. It sounds like you've thought everything through. Awesome.

Let us know if you have questions!

sweetpee_1993

I think you've got a great plan. It sounds like you've thought everything through. Awesome.

Let us know if you have questions!
I just thought of one but I can prob'ly go look it up. Shucks, I'll just be lazy. LOL! Is there an In-N-Out in SNA or somewhat within a reasonable distance to DLR??? We don't have those here and I looooove cheeseburgers so dearly. ;)

Californian Elitist

I just thought of one but I can prob'ly go look it up. Shucks, I'll just be lazy. LOL! Is there an In-N-Out in SNA or somewhat within a reasonable distance to DLR??? We don't have those here and I looooove cheeseburgers so dearly. ;)

Yes! There's one right down Harbor, the street DL sits on. It's about a seven to ten minute drive away.

Make sure to consult us on what to order when your vacation trip gets closer.;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Food expectations
Food prices in DLR are pretty high - (tho recent price increases have closed the gap at WDW). The table service is good at DLR's locations - but there is far less of it (no EPCOT or deluge of hotel restaurants). You don't do ADRs at DLR the same as WDW. Advanced Reservations for DLR are done via phone (714) 781-DINE or online - https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/#/reservations-accepted a max of 30(?) days out. Typically you can get away with short notice reservations for most places (like week of) or walk-ins are available depending on location/time of year. It's not 'do or die' like WDW.. but is still recommended at least for week of.

DLR quick service food has had a bad rep for quality/value in the past.. but more recent additions in DCA are all significant improvements (Paradise Garden, Cars Land, Pig Cafe).

Character meals are much more limited at DLR vs WDW (if that is good or bad is a personal preference).

You will see less plastic plates/forks in DLR Quick Service compared to WDW.

The Dining Plan is not the same animal as it is at WDW. The plan at DLR is basically buying pre-paid vouchers with a cash value with no benefit for their use over direct payment and are limited where they are accepted. The plan offers no legitimate benefit - just ignore it.

Downtown Disney is a much more accessible dining location due to it's proximity to the parks compared to WDW and is quite nice.

In short... food at DLR is a much more adhoc experience compared to WDW, but expect to pay slightly higher prices than you may be used to and leave your 'DDP war plans' at home. Dining at DLR is like dining at any other resort.. not what WDW has turned dining into.

IndianaJones

I've never done it this way. I've always gone 3 days. 1 day at DL, 1 day at DCA, and one day of park hopping. I think the next time we go I'll do it your way. Really soak in everything.

Anyways, as far as your first trip goes, I hope you guys have a blast. IMHO, DLR blows WDW out of the water. I'd go every year if I could. These west coasters really know what they're talking about and give awesome advice!

Any idea on where you are staying yet?

Figments Friend

Not just the food Raven, but the on-site Disney Resorts on property at WDW are also priced higher during peak and holiday seasons.
This has been going on for years.

It is indeed good advice to visit off-season.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom