The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebeau

It's nice we can have a discussion in a discussion forum.:) Debate is fun.

Right, I never said Frozen was a bad movie (I believe my exact words were "solid double.") I also never said the songs were bad, I said they "aren't quite there," which basically means another pass at them, maybe fleshing out a verse or melody here or there, could have resulted in more. I believe the Lopez's are capable of better work (get thee to BOOK OF MORMON!).

I tend to critique movies based on potential. This is why I'm so hard on Brave, which was a great idea chopped to incoherence - that makes it bad. But I think Monsters University is pretty good. That idea always sucked, so them getting anything watchable out of it at all is amazing, and I'm willing to call it good. Frozen as a tale of sisterly relations is brilliant, and I don't think they got as deep as they could have. Points docked for wasted potential.

It's good you liked the movie. It's good your kids like musicals!!!! Nothing would be worse than for this movie to flop, Disney misinterpreting it as people not liking musicals, like they did with hand-drawn animation, and then never making another one. Never leave me, Disney musicals.

I gather I'm alone on the Wreck-It-Ralph branch. Not just in this forum but among people I know too. Something about it just didn't sit right with me.

Now that I have heard your criteria, I can better understand your opinion. I agree about Brave. A lot of wasted potential there. Monsters U was better than I expected, but that's not saying much. It was okay. Less than what I expect from Pixar more than I expected from a Monsters Inc sequel.

I liked Frozen more than you, but I can respect your opinion. You have supported it. So, okay, you weren't wrong. ;)

I have a friend who shares your opinion of Wreck It Ralph. I enjoyed it a lot, but fall short of loving it. I think I gave it extra points because I was still smarting from the disappointment of Brave.

GiveMeTheMusic

There's no accounting for kids and toddlers. My 4 and 8 year old liked it a lot. But you know, there's just no telling what kids will or will not like. We didn't have any bored kids in our screening. My 4 year old was kind of bored with the Mickey short. *shrug*

Your four year old is clearly a UNI FANBOI who hates Disney. Why did your four year old even watch the short if they didn't like it? Why didn't he/she/it just stay home?! Mickey doesn't need him/her/it. This was the first Mickey Mouse short I have ever seen, and it is obvious that Mickey has never been better, so take your negativity elsewhere good sir/ma'am/it.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I thought Frozen was pretty solid as far as the script went....but since I write music, (my partner handled lyrics), the songs (with the exception of Olaf's ditty), did absolutely nothing for me. Let it Go seems as if it was written for Idena's vocal chops, as it's all over the place, but didn't go anywhere, for me. A truly memorable song, needs to only be listened to once to be remembered. I actually purchased the soundtrack before seeing the movie, and found myself skipping through each song, trying to find the real meat. All I found were veggie options.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
New Fantasyland could have easily been improved by adding an updated, multi-leveled version of Snow Whites Scary Adventures, into the new Mine Train ride. Having those two attractions, intertwined, would have been really interesting. Imagine seeing those little dark ride carts, emerging out around the mountain in various spots, while the coaster cars go whizzing by. There would seem to be plenty of "nooks and crannies" that this could have been squeezed in without much effort. That one addition to the new "peak" would have created another level of depth to the whole area.

Funmeister

True story. Shortly after Mission: SPACE opened there was a smaller room that was used or going to be used for a break room. After some numbers were ran they figured the value of the square footage of the pavilion was too much to justify the price tag for such a break room. The room was already built. No extra costs would be added at this point. Basically took the price to build pavilion, divided by total square footage and applied that value to the square footage of the break room.

Solution? They brought in a trailer and parked it out back to use as another break room. The room inside the pavilion sat empty. Not sure how it is now but it would not surprise me if it is still the same.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Frozen Thoughts:

Saw it. Liked it. Liked it a lot. Easily the best piece of work to come out of WDFA since the 1990s. Animation was great, story was generally well done (there were some holes), sidekicks were generally not annoying (although the trolls reminded me an awful lot of the gargoyles in Hunchback) and music was good, but beyond "Let It Go'' not at all memorable.

That probably would be the weakest part of a wonderful film. In every film from 1989's Little Mermaid to 1999's Tarzan there were multiple songs that stuck with you, some that literally were seared into your consciousness. That wouldn't be Frozen.

Still, that's more of a quibble. The music wasn't bad. And as many Pixar films have shown, music doesn't have to equate with a great film. Now, is The Snow Queen (what the film is and should have been called) a great film? I dunno. It stands head and shoulders above many good films that Disney has put out (Meet The Robinsons, Princess and Frog, Tangled, Wreck It Ralph) while climbing back from the edge of the abyss. BUT ... I'll have to let it simmer inside for a bit before deciding how good it was. Obviously, though, that is a very good sign.

As for the 'Get a Horse' short, I loved it (no, didn't see it in 3D). No, it didn't fool me into thinking it was 1928 again (I'm an ancient Spirit so I was around before Mickey! ... Here's a secret, Walt didn't really like Oswald!) but I liked the look and style and the 'surprises' (no spoilers, please) associated with it. One thing that bothered me: Horace wearing a Captain America shirt. That was Iger ego all the way. All about the Disney BRANDS. I wasn't aware of this 'rotten fanboi egg' being tossed into the short. Still, it was superb.

I don't see how Oscar doesn't go to Disney for both of the above.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I will keep in touch with you in regards to BGW. I would be more than happy to play guide for you and show the hidden gem view as I did for @WDW1974 a year ago. In the Fall some of the iconic buildings are done up entirely different for HoS than they are at regular season. Depending how many days I might be able to find some deep ticket discounts.

And a mighty fine host you were! I'll vouch for you with the Lifestyler Super Couple!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nah, Universal is having a presser on the 12th.

I don't even know how I forgot that (oh yeah, work stress plus planning for two months in Europe!) ... but I was largely speaking of surprising news. I don't believe UNI will have anything surprising to announce ... so much has leaked anyway.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, I like to think ours is better than what you describe. At the very least, it's 4 friends discussing something they're passionate about.

I appreciate that. And you know I think highly of you. I also wouldn't want to comment specifically on what you do without listening.

On the larger point of podcasts:

In general, at the end of the day, it's sorta like four Yankees or Bears or USC (or Saints or LSU for you!) fans talking about their teams. Passion and enjoyment are great, but it doesn't mean it's a conversation that I want to hear.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I wrote a lengthy piece on the Walking Dead mid-season finale. It also serves as my overall thoughts on the first half of the fourth season. Lots of comparisons between the show and the source material.

My reaction, having read the comic book, is the exact opposite of yours. I suspect it is because I knew how the story ended. To my mind, the gory finale was not the travesty. I always saw that as inevitable. The bad writing was the way they stretched a single season storyline into a season and a bloated season and a half.

The show tells the story out of sequence which completely changes the context of events. Sometimes the changes make sense and sometimes I really wonder how people who haven't read the comic book are even following things. For example, the entire sequence with "the Governor's" new family" actually occurred prior to him becoming the Governor. He met them on his way to Woodbury. Also, Penny was still alive. Meghan was invented for the show as a stand-in for Penny. armed with that knowledge, I knew she was a goner from the second she appeared on screen and wasn't remotely disappointed when that plot thread was quickly wrapped up.

The Governor greatly outlasted his welcome. This is how season 3 should have ended. I breathed a sigh of relief to be done with the prison and the Gov forever. Shame about Hershel though. He was a bit player in the comic book who wound up taking over other character's story lines on the show because he was played by such a dynamic actor. I'm less bummed about losing the character than I am about losing Scott Wilson. He will be missed.

There is still a lot of room for improvement on the show. But the first half of season 4 was a huge step up from the disater that was the last half of season 3. So, I'll take it. I'm cautiously optimistic that Gimple can do better with a clean slate in the second half of the season.

I get that perspective a lot from people who read the comics. I never did. And just because they tell a story in one way, doesn't mean the TV show should have to follow them as ... what do the fanbois call it? ... cannon?

The bloodbath may have been a forgone conclusions IF you read Kirkman's writing. But I still think it's a weak explanation. When do superhero films follow the comics religiously? They don't. They pick and choose storylines, characters and elements and then create totally different ones as well. If they know what they're doing, they pick up entirely new audiences. Walking Dead did with me.

Comparing the comics with the TV show is sort of like comparing the Potter films and the books, only worse because the comics keep going and going and going, which leaves the door open to all sorts of scenarios. No matter how popular it is, Walking Dead is not likely to be around in five years let alone 10. Hence, AMC already working on a spin-off.

Kirkman may know geek comics, but he doesn't know TV and that's why showrunners ... talented showrunners keep dropping like they were attacked by walkers. It also explains why he doesn't really care about actors or developing characters, he cares about gore ... like the fanbois who love Horror Nights to the point of absurdity (paging Mr. -- or Mrs. -- Ricky to the thread). I like gore if there's a story to go along with it. And if his only story is everyone is going to die gruesome deaths, then I really don't care to be part of his fandom.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In general, at the end of the day, it's sorta like four Yankees or Bears or USC (or Saints or LSU for you!) fans talking about their teams. Passion and enjoyment are great, but it doesn't mean it's a conversation that I want to hear.

Yes, which is why the people involved are so important. A good 'solid' in the space is TWIT. It's technology focused, but the reason it works is because the core guy has a long history in radio and TV. The production quality, along with his anchoring, and good guests with meaningful insight and analysis has kept the show going on for many years now. They have a few stinkers.. and there is some 'inside baseball' - but it's a great show that illustrates how to use 'the week's news' as a stepping stone and not just read the news.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
If they totally imploded Tomorrowland Speedway for Alice and Wreck-it Ralph, I don't think anyone would bat an eye :D

Alice maze
Alice dark ride
Cheshire Cat family coaster (theming and swooping)
Red Queen dining hall
Tea Cups relocated and enclosed (neon and SFX are added)
Wreck-it Ralph E-ticket (MIB:AA meets Test Track)

Over... a gas-guzzling kiddie ride :p

Not to mention Storybook Circus where Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is (Mickey fun house C-ticket and Dueling Dumbos), Little Mermaid upgraded to E-ticket status, BATB area and Tangled bathrooms are same as is, Snow White stays as is but gets a massive facelift while World Dr. is reworked to allow for Frozen and Giants (the next Disney musical) to get a shoot-the-chutes (38" height requirement) and mini-ToT (34") respectively.

In the end... you get 3-5 additions with ZERO replacements :) but TDO would never think like this lol
I can only "like" this once. Pity.

Funmeister

So, Disney now has full control over Indiana Jones from Paramount...what next? I see that Paramount will still have some sort of financial interest in future outings of the whipster but what do you think Disney will do with Indy next? BTW Paramount will still own rights to the first four films. Movies? Attractions? Television shows? Thoughts?

jdmdisney99

So, Disney now has full control over Indiana Jones from Paramount...what next? I see that Paramount will still have some sort of financial interest in future outings of the whipster but what do you think Disney will do with Indy next? BTW Paramount will still own rights to the first four films. Movies? Attractions? Television shows? Thoughts?
I;m seeing a CGI show for DXD because they no the popularity CW had and what Rebels probably will have.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've told you before - it's not the format, but the content you are exposed to. If we shared more in common I'd point you to some incredible 1on1 interview series... or great insight/story telling podcasts. Really good podcasts keep you yearning for the next episode like your favorite TV show but can be informative and not just entertainment. I have yet to find a disney podcast that I could stomach for more than 1-3 minutes.

I am sure this is true and a great point. Much like I am sure Twitter has some value somewhere ... I just haven't found it yet, except in reporting inaccurate news as soon as people think it happened!

WDW1974

Original Poster

Will answer this out of order because I saw it and I have a pile of breathless fanboi notes on the subject.

I don't think Disney will do a whole lot with Indy right now. They're not that interested in the franchise. Ford, who is ancient, has really pushed for one more film (after years of not wanting to do the fourth!) and he'll likely get it. But after that? It's dead. Shia Le Beoff (do not care whether that is remotely correct) is no talent and isn't replacing Harrison. Do they try and reboot? Maybe down the line. But their interest isn't that high. Star Wars is where they are concerned.

And despite what fanbois want, Disney hasn't seriously considered a new Indy attraction since plans for Paris died over a decade ago.

WDW1974

Original Poster
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-holmes-vice-president-of-magic-kingdom-park/

"As part of “Limited Time Magic,” we’re offering a walk in Magic Kingdom Park that’s never before been offered to guests – hosted by Phil Holmes, vice president of Magic Kingdom Park."

Wow, it doesn't get much more magical than this. Really TDO, this is an actual promotion. How pathetic. Maybe we should all sign up and pepper him with questions on why he cancels all the plussing the parks attractions where supposed to get over the years and all the cuts in entertainment.

No one with serious issues with the way the MK is run will ever be selected for this. Ever. But bet some lifestylers get the honor ...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I am sure this is true and a great point. Much like I am sure Twitter has some value somewhere ... I just haven't found it yet, except in reporting inaccurate news as soon as people think it happened!

Twitter has almost no value. However, the Epcot Centre account is incredibly funny. Here is the most recent "Epcot Centre" tweet from 3 hours ago - "We do not have & we never have had a mosquito problem here at Epcot. It sickens me when anonymous cowards make these perfidious claims." Here is an out take from the 12/4 Q and A session with fans - "Q. Can they accomodate a group of 16 at Coral Reef Restaurant? – Aoife (Athlone, Ireland) --- A. Good question."

WDW1974

Original Poster
You could not be more wrong. You could try, but you would fail.

There was quite a bit of info in the opening scenes. And it ALL paid off later. Maybe it could have paid off bigger than it did.

And the songs? You're along in that opinion. Every review praises the songs as ready for Broadway.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. The movie isn't perfect. But your particular criticisms mystify me.

Of course, Wreck It Ralph was good too. So, I suppose we just have wildly different taste in movies.

I think that's stretching it a bit. Even some glowing reviews have had some issues with the music by the Lopez's ... I really, really enjoyed the film. But music was definitely a weak point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom