T-shirts! Getchya Magic Band T-shirts

rael ramone

Can't speak for the haters, but,
A lot of people feel that the MagicBands exist primarily to encourage even more irresponsible guest spending rather than to enhance the guest experience in any meaningful way. For guests to buy a T-shirt commemorating the devices is celebrating something that was created to their detriment, so Disney's willingness to offer such T-shirts is evidence of absolute hubris on their part.

Kinda like wearing a Joe Camel t-shirt...

Victor Kelly

Money grab pure and simple.

Step One: Institute a program that is way over priced, complex, and not really needed.
Step two: Make the bands hideous and uncomfortable
Step three: Make crap to make them feel and look nicer. Then add on other merchandise that the rank and file touron will buy.
Step Four: Profit, in the millions.

NearTheEars

For some reason I think if the park down the road developed a "universal band" it would be hailed here as revolutionary, with discussions about how Disney is way behind the times on technology and too cheap to upgrade their ticketing system while Universal spares no expense.

Just a hypothetical, though haha.

NearTheEars

Then add on other merchandise that the rank and file touron will buy.

I count believe you were intentionally being mean, but that's a bit insulting.
What's so wrong with just being an average vacationer?
I don't think I'm better than anyone else at the park just because I happen to visit often.
What's wrong with a business providing merchandise that they know will sell to these lowly "tourons"?

I mean, I know people seem to dislike hearing about how it's a business, but they are trying to make money. I'd rather see WDW profitable and around for years to come instead of bankrupt because they were afraid to offer at shirt. (Admittedly, that's a little extreme)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I mean, I know people seem to dislike hearing about how it's a business, but they are trying to make money. I'd rather see WDW profitable and around for years to come instead of bankrupt because they were afraid to offer at shirt. (Admittedly, that's a little extreme)
If Disney is that concerned about profitability and attendance, let them build new rides and attractions to bring the masses in. Like they've done out west. And just down the road....

Californian Elitist

For some reason I think if the park down the road developed a "universal band" it would be hailed here as revolutionary, with discussions about how Disney is way behind the times on technology and too cheap to upgrade their ticketing system while Universal spares no expense.

False. The shirts promote something some of us don't like. Simple as that. It'd be the same reactions if Universal started selling these shirts.

Bairstow

I think there may be some truth to this.

A lot of people on this board have had it in for the bands and MyMagicPlus from day one, in large part because they seem to think that Disney is spending a billion dollars on making it so that people register for Fastpasses months in advance, or that Cinderalla knows your kid's name or whatever. The perception is that Disney chose to buy all these bands rather than invest in a new E-ticket ride or six. What people don't realize is that the billion dollar price tag for nextgen refers to a slew of much-needed IT infrastructure improvements across the board, with the guest interface app and the bands only being a small component of that.

luv

Not me. Uni created a better system and spent a whole lot less on it. Yay them.

If sparing no expense was important, we'd all be thrilled with Disney and their billion dollars on nothing. If they could afford that billion dollars and still have basic things like litter-free queues and reliable, running water in the ladies' room sinks, I'd be slightly happier about it. But I don't care about any of the stuff they've spent their billion dollars to buy...and I do care about washing my hands.

I am really happy for people who are excited to get a wristband. But I don't want one...and I certainly don't want a t-shirt that celebrates the wristband I don't want.

Some of us see this as total silliness and a huge waste of money.

Tom Morrow

I think most of us agree that the technology behind FP+/MM+ and the bands is kind of cool. The issue all along has been "is this what WDW really needs, and what people really want?"

wild01ride

Can't speak for the haters, but,
A lot of people feel that the MagicBands exist primarily to encourage even more irresponsible guest spending rather than to enhance the guest experience in any meaningful way. For guests to buy a T-shirt commemorating the devices is celebrating something that was created to their detriment, so Disney's willingness to offer such T-shirts is evidence of absolute hubris on their part.

Hmm...it's crummy that people always seem to go to worst possible case (/"glass half empty")...I realize that there is a lot of potential for side-effects of the Magic Bands being intrusive to the dedicated/faithful guests' experiences.
However, my pass [unfortunately?] can't be registered with the system, and thus, I can't use it for selecting FP+'s.
Nevertheless, I see it as a convenient way to just plain and simple access my hotel room. I travel a lot, and even when I am going to my room with even an imbalanced suitcase, for example, there are often times where there would be some value to simply wave my wrist near the door lock to enter the room.
Heck, in the Spring, even with the RF room key, it still wouldn't work by just touching my wallet against the door handle - it required removing the key, holding my wallet in one hand and touching the key to the door separately.

I don't know if any of the "haters" have ever done a Boardwalk Bakery run in the morning, bringing back even the simplest selection of two coffees, a hot chocolate and a bag of pastries for three. I have, and I can find value to even the simple feature of being able to bump my wrist against the door lock with drinks and bag in my hands without the risk of spilling my precious coffee right outside my hotel room door.

Anyhow, to me, there is benefit of just having the convenience of tapping a wristband against a door, entrance gate, etc. rather than juggling my wallet and tickets in a crowd.

And as someone mentioned above about the fact that there will never come a point where everyone has Magic Bands, you are absolutely right! For the conspiracy theorists that think that "everyone" is going to have them and that the system is going to cause "mass, irresponsible" vacationing by all...just think: look around at all of the luxury cars out there that you see with people holding a cell phone in their hand to talk on the phone. About 75% of cars are available with Bluetooth phone pairing these days, yet a HUGE amount of people still hold their phone to talk without using the technology. And this is a technology that is included in a car that they spent potentially $15,000-$100,000 for.

Yes, there will absolutely be people who take utmost advantage of the system.
No, not everyone will use and abuse the system.

And finally, how much can people complain about "corny" or "lame" T-shirts in WDW? Look around! Every piece of merchandise in WDW is exploiting some figure, character, place, theme, etc. That's what merchandise IS. It is not there to add value to your life. It is there to make money for the company.

doctornick

A few months ago, there was a press release about how they were introducing some new resort specific merchandise at some of the hotels. When I read the article, my immediate thought was "who is going to buy stuff that says 'Old Key West' on it?" And yet, a bunch of posters hailed this as a great thing and bemoaned that more resorts didn't have unique merch anymore.

Now, I bring that up not to insult anyone who wants such merchandise -- more power to you. But one man's treasure is another man's trash. If a guest went to WDW, thought the Magic Band was a great innovation and liked the look of a t-shirt, why wouldn't said guest buy said shirt? It doesn't seem like an odd idea to me and yet you have multiple posters in this thread opening insulting other guests who simply have different shopping interests. To each their own.

In an ironic twist, I would expect that these "magic band" stuff would be unique to WDW and reflective of the entire resort, as opposed to the "generic stuff that you can find in your local Disney store" that seems to fill all the shops at WDW. Isn't that what people here always seem to want?

[Full disclosure -- I generally buy absolutely no merchandise for myself when I am in Disney. Generally the only shops I walk in to are the ones that I get dumped into after rides. I might buy the occasional little trinket to amuse my children if they ask and are behaving.]

Sped2424

I know the anger for the magic bands comes from the new system and how it works, and the fact that Disney is spending a billion and counting on this, when many just want new attractions and entertainment options or refurbs to the old ones they loved. The issue is, is that Disney thinks new attractions don't pull in the numbers worth spending on the attraction. Universal saw the direct benefit from harry potter and know Comcast is going full speed ahead. While magic bands could simply the formula or ruin it is really to early to tell, the average guest couldn't care less, as long as they can still see Cinderella and ride space mountain they are happy.

minninedaisy74

I am fan of the band and the convenience of having all my stuff linked to it because I hate dragging things into the park. I also like all the cute accessories that you can buy to go with it but I am not so sure about the shirts.

Marc Gil

Wow.. Just wow... I can't say anything else... It's just so pathetic... I mean, I have noting against Magic Bands, but this is sad.

Florida_is_hot

I am fan of the band and the convenience of having all my stuff linked to it because I hate dragging things into the park. I also like all the cute accessories that you can buy to go with it but I am not so sure about the shirts.

You can put a (One) smart card in your pocket, does the same thing.
Bonus no ugly piece of plastic on your wrist in one of the hottest most humid places in the USA.

devoy1701

No, I had a room key, but it was forever getting lost in the bottom of my cinch bag. Picture it - one compartment: water bottle, rain poncho, KTTW card, iPhone, nephew's poncho, nephew's camera, couple of tissues, 3 bandaids, tiny change purse (not big enough for the card) with tip $$. And no back pockets on my capris.
By the last day, I finally came up with the brilliant idea of attaching the band to my belt loop. Very difficult to use that way, though.
I want to point out this is exactly the reason magic bands are a good idea. Its always readily available and helps lines move quicker (in theory of course). Plus you can easily see if children have theirs or not.
Absolutely! I was pro-MB before our trip. Still am.

As I said, I WAS THE ONLY ONE who found the band uncomfortable. I've considered trying to explain the problem, but didn't want to bore you; but here goes. My wrist is of above average circumference, but is all bony. It's extra wide, and the RFID section which is quite rigid, starts to curve long before my wide, bony wrist does, and rubbed on both sides. No amount of adjustment alleviated the rubbing.

I've also mentioned this in another thread, but my band didn't always work. It did work on the resort room door, FP+, and at park entry. It consistently did not work for: charging purchases, charging on the DDP, or opening the entry gate at POP. And again, no one else had these issues.

My avatar is from last year - that is not a MB that I am wearing, but one of those flexible rubber bracelets w/magnets. I guess I was expecting the MagicBand to be more like that. For those of you who have not worn them yet, they are NOTHING like the "Live Strong" type of bracelets.

Why don't you guys just get more organized????

:cat:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom