Backlot Tour "addition"

Sped2424

I couldn't even get past the trailer, between the mediocre plot, jokes and the terrible stereotypes I honestly couldn't even finish it.

Tom Morrow

One of the things I find most annoying about "Planes" is that the plot is of course about racing. I guess in the Cars universe, racing is the only thing that matters, no matter what type of "being" you are.

raymusiccity

View attachment 29177 I'm sure pictures have already been posted but I don't feel like looking through 10 pages of stuff so here's one

Still don't understand this tempest in a teapot. Show this to 9 out of ten people, and they'll say that it looks cute.

Disney transports the entire steam engine to Disneyland for the premiere of The Lone Ranger and everyone yawns. They put 2 decals and a smile on a plane, and all heck breaks loose......

dadddio

That's not what "tracking" means.

Check out Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic to see what the consensus is. Every movie will have good and bad reviews. But aggregate sites give you an idea of what the overall view of critics is. Right now only 25% of critics on RT.com give Planes a favorable review. That's a terrible figure.
It is what 'box office tracking' means. It is quite simply the tracking of how well a movie is doing at the box office.

Regarding rotten tomatoes, it highlights exactly why I don't pay any attention to critics. According to that site, critics currently have it at 29%, but it also shows a user rating of 90%. Come to think of it, perhaps that 'want to see' rating is what you could call 'buzz'.

Magenta Panther

I think Smurfs showed that audiences are suffering from family film fatigue. The kids are getting ready to go back to school. Reviews are bad. I think it will do okay business based on people being tricked into thinking it is somehow related to Cars. But it's not going to do well. Disney won't take a Lone Ranger write-off on this one. Especially with foreign and merch. But it's not going to do Despicable Me 2 or even Monsters University business either.

I expect a mildly embarassing opening. Kind of like everything else released for the last several weeks.

The bad news about the Smurf movie is that while it's tanking here in the States, it's doing gangbusters overseas. In fact, I think it's the number one movie in the foreign market right now. And you know what that means....:hungover:

Seabasealpha1

Here's a real thought though...lets say all of this stuff turns out to be accurate about Cars Land being imported from Anaheim...

What will they do with the plane then? I mean, the darn thing is even shown on park maps and whatnot yet I don't think the tour guides mention what it is do they? I can't remember...but seeing as the wife made me skip the backlot tour last December (trust me, I was heartbroken:rolleyes:)... it has been a while after all...I can't remember at all...

Think they'll put it in a museum or maybe park it out in the middle of nowhere with the 20,000 leagues submarines?

Thoughts?

Tom

Beta Return
Here's a real thought though...lets say all of this stuff turns out to be accurate about Cars Land being imported from Anaheim...

What will they do with the plane then? I mean, the darn thing is even shown on park maps and whatnot yet I don't think the tour guides mention what it is do they? I can't remember...but seeing as the wife made me skip the backlot tour last December (trust me, I was heartbroken:rolleyes:)... it has been a while after all...I can't remember at all...

Think they'll put it in a museum or maybe park it out in the middle of nowhere with the 20,000 leagues submarines?

Thoughts?

Yes, the spiel does mention the plane. At least it did last year.

Seeing what little respect they have for it, it'll probably end up in Pluto Lot.

Tom Morrow

Still don't understand this tempest in a teapot. Show this to 9 out of ten people, and they'll say that it looks cute.

Disney transports the entire steam engine to Disneyland for the premiere of The Lone Ranger and everyone yawns. They put 2 decals and a smile on a plane, and all heck breaks loose......
Because its not just "a plane", its a plane with fairly important historical significance to TWDC, Walt Disney World, and Walt Disney himself. If it were just any plane, then yeah, nobody here would really care. Instead it shows what little respect they have for the company's heritage, and how clueless and shameless they can be.

If you can't see why something like this might be perceived as even slightly offensive, then perhaps this isn't the messageboard for you.

raymusiccity

Because its not just "a plane", its a plane with fairly important historical significance to TWDC, Walt Disney World, and Walt Disney himself. If it were just any plane, then yeah, nobody here would really care. Instead it shows what little respect they have for the company's heritage, and how clueless and shameless they can be.

If you can't see why something like this might be perceived as even slightly offensive, then perhaps this isn't the messageboard for you.

Now I feel bad for being cast into the lot of the clueless and shameless. I'm just a lowly member since 2010. I didn't realize that I'd be ostracized for voicing an opinion.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

Show this picture to 9 out of 10 people, and the may say it's cute.

Now, tell them what plane it is and you will get a more visceral reaction - from guests over the age of 9, anyway.

What's next - a gloopy pink birthday cake overlay on the beautiful castle?

TP2000

What is most painful about this image isn't the cheesy eyes slapped onto the cockpit for this movie, it's the horribly faded and sad looking paint job on this once proud corporate jet. The aged and sun faded livery and original logos for Disneyland and WDW look pathetic. As if no one in TDO cares. As if no one in TDO even knows they are supposed to care.

And then they slap eyeballs onto it to promote a movie. I very, very rarely say this cliché line, as I never like to speak for a dead man, but on this one I can confidently say that Walt Disney is rolling in his grave (and yeah, I know he was cremated) over this latest stunt and if he were to show up in Lake Buena Vista this afternoon he would have quite a few things to say to Ms. Crofton, Mr. Kalogridis and a few other key leaders there.

This thread and those pictures have just made me very sad. It's sickening, really.

lebeau

The bad news about the Smurf movie is that while it's tanking here in the States, it's doing gangbusters overseas. In fact, I think it's the number one movie in the foreign market right now. And you know what that means....:hungover:

Oh the sequel is coming. From what I understand, the studio covered its production costs with product placement alone. So aside from marketing costs, Smurf's 2 is pure profit.

lebeau

It is what 'box office tracking' means. It is quite simply the tracking of how well a movie is doing at the box office.

Regarding rotten tomatoes, it highlights exactly why I don't pay any attention to critics. According to that site, critics currently have it at 29%, but it also shows a user rating of 90%. Come to think of it, perhaps that 'want to see' rating is what you could call 'buzz'.

Wrong. "Tracking" refers to forecasting. It's a measure of how aware audiences are of a movie that has yet to be released.

And a "want to see rating" of 90% is not good.

dadddio

Why is it bad news that the movie is doing well overseas?

AndyMagic

Box office tracking - Given that the film hasn't even been released, it's no wonder that it's box office tracking is very bad. Just like every single unreleased film, it has exactly NO box office revenue. Perhaps we should wait until after this weekend to take the box office reading.

I'm not sure you know what box office tracking means. It's often quite accurate and is used by all Hollywood studios to temper expectations. Last I checked, Planes was expected to debut outside of the top 5 behind Percy Jackson, Elysium, and We're the Millers. I wouldn't be surprised if Despicable Me 2, after being in theatres for more than a MONTH will end up with a higher weekend gross.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Still don't understand this tempest in a teapot. Show this to 9 out of ten people, and they'll say that it looks cute

9 out of 10 people probably have zero interest in the 'why/how/what' of the company and are only interested in jumping back in the line for 'the log mountain'.

While we are at it.. let's just burn down the archives.. obviously 9 out of 10 people don't care about the history or legacy of the company.

Its deplorable when not only do you go for the cheap tie-in, but you deface your company legacy and history to do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom