Backlot Tour "addition"

RunnerFool

What is most painful about this image isn't the cheesy eyes slapped onto the cockpit for this movie, it's the horribly faded and sad looking paint job on this once proud corporate jet. The aged and sun faded livery and original logos for Disneyland and WDW look pathetic. As if no one in TDO cares. As if no one in TDO even knows they are supposed to care.

And then they slap eyeballs onto it to promote a movie. I very, very rarely say this cliché line, as I never like to speak for a dead man, but on this one I can confidently say that Walt Disney is rolling in his grave (and yeah, I know he was cremated) over this latest stunt and if he were to show up in Lake Buena Vista this afternoon he would have quite a few things to say to Ms. Crofton, Mr. Kalogridis and a few other key leaders there.

This thread and those pictures have just made me very sad. It's sickening, really.

no, he's rolling in his grave because Disney is letting Carousel of Progress ROT

dadddio

Because its not just "a plane", its a plane with fairly important historical significance to TWDC, Walt Disney World, and Walt Disney himself. If it were just any plane, then yeah, nobody here would really care. Instead it shows what little respect they have for the company's heritage, and how clueless and shameless they can be.

If you can't see why something like this might be perceived as even slightly offensive, then perhaps this isn't the messageboard for you.
The bolded part is almost certainly incorrect. This wasn't the first plane that the Disney (the man and the company) purchased and it wouldn't be the last. Those planes that came before weren't enshrined. They were disposed of when their useful life was over. To state that this plane held some sort of significance to Walt Disney beyond being a convenient conveyance is to vastly misunderstand him.

The fact is, the plane has some quasi-historical significance to you and others because Walt bought it and flew in it. The company recognized that people like you would find it interesting, so they stuck it someplace that you could see it. It has no other true historical significance.

dadddio

Show this picture to 9 out of 10 people, and the may say it's cute.

Now, tell them what plane it is and you will get a more visceral reaction - from guests over the age of 9, anyway.

What's next - a gloopy pink birthday cake overlay on the beautiful castle?
'What it is'? It's an old corporate plane that Walt Disney once flew in. That's all.

dadddio

Wrong. "Tracking" refers to forecasting. It's a measure of how aware audiences are of a movie that has yet to be released.
They almost certainly 'track' that awareness, but it isn't what 'box office tracking' is.

Box office tracking refers to theatrical box office earnings. Additional sources of revenue, such as home entertainment sales and rentals, television rights, product placement fees, etc. are not included.

And a "want to see rating" of 90% is not good.
90% of the people who responded want to see the movie. That seems like a pretty good number.

lebeau

They almost certainly 'track' that awareness, but it isn't what 'box office tracking' is.

When someone says a movie that has yet to open isn't tracking well, they obviously aren't talking about box office performance. They mean it has a low audience awareness score.

90% of the people who responded want to see the movie. That seems like a pretty good number.

On a scientific survey, sure. On RT.com where the score is usually 98-99%, 90% is bad. That's because people who don't want to see the movie don't generally look it up on RT.com before its release much less take the time to expressly point out they don't want to see it.

If you're going to argue about things you should have some base knowledge about them first.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

Box office tracking refers to theatrical box office earnings. Additional sources of revenue, such as home entertainment sales and rentals, television rights, product placement fees, etc. are not included.

Here's an article referring to the type of pre-release tracking that is being discussed (this one is regarding Pacific Rim, but the concept is the same)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...nd-how-pre-release-tracking-becomes-a-weapon/

Reade's Dad

Show this picture to 9 out of 10 people, and the may say it's cute.

Now, tell them what plane it is and you will get a more visceral reaction - from guests over the age of 9, anyway.

What's next - a gloopy pink birthday cake overlay on the beautiful castle?
Would love to have the Cake Castle back....it was something huge, surprising, and over the top...seen much of that lately?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Would love to have the Cake Castle back....it was something huge, surprising, and over the top...seen much of that lately?
Ugh, I just google-imaged the castle to see if it was a bad as I remembered.

IT ... WAS ... WORSE.

"Huge, surprising and over the top" (IMO) only work if "tacky and god-awful" are not part of the equation.

dadddio

When someone says a movie that has yet to open isn't tracking well, they obviously aren't talking about box office performance. They mean it has a low audience awareness score.
If you're going to argue about things you should have some base knowledge about them first.
I snipped out the middle of your post because I enjoyed the juxtapostion between the first of it and the last.

I also found it interesting that now you are just referring to 'tracking' instead of 'box office tracking'. Anything can be tracked, but you cannot track the box office until a film opens.

dadddio

The cake castle worked pretty good for those of us who frequently visited WDW, in my opinion. However, I think that it was the wrong thing to put out there for first time visitors.

lebeau

I snipped out the middle of your post because I enjoyed the juxtapostion between the first of it and the last.

I also found it interesting that now you are just referring to 'tracking' instead of 'box office tracking'. Anything can be tracked, but you cannot track the box office until a film opens.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make now.

Do you seriously not understand how tracking works after I and others have explained it to you? Or are you intentionally being obtuse?

Tom Morrow

The bolded part is almost certainly incorrect. This wasn't the first plane that the Disney (the man and the company) purchased and it wouldn't be the last. Those planes that came before weren't enshrined. They were disposed of when their useful life was over. To state that this plane held some sort of significance to Walt Disney beyond being a convenient conveyance is to vastly misunderstand him.

The fact is, the plane has some quasi-historical significance to you and others because Walt bought it and flew in it. The company recognized that people like you would find it interesting, so they stuck it someplace that you could see it. It has no other true historical significance.
But this was one of the particular planes that had a hand in the creation of WDW. I get it, they could have just sold off this one too when its lifespan was over and no one would have known or cared, but its there, its presented as historically significant to TWDC, so they should treat it as such or get rid of it.

Either way, I don't see why you're defending a completely tasteless and shameless promotion.

raymusiccity

But this was one of the particular planes that had a hand in the creation of WDW. I get it, they could have just sold off this one too when its lifespan was over and no one would have known or cared, but its there, its presented as historically significant to TWDC, so they should treat it as such or get rid of it.

Either way, I don't see why you're defending a completely tasteless and shameless promotion.

It's amusing how some people stamp a promotion as tasteless and shameless, while others see it for what it is:

Earlier post:
"This is just a cute little reference to a current movie, why everyone is getting their undies in a bunch is beyond me. Once the planes movie has run its course I'm sure the retired old plane will return to its previous status as a retired old plane that gets pretty much ignored. I am curious where all you folks that hate the movie so much saw the movie? Out here in Phoenix it hasn't been released yet. It is amusing how many of the same people who condemned the company for going outside and buy Pixar instead of making toons internally are now slamming an internal Disney unit for not being Pixar. I guess the take away from such stellar logic is that Disney should not have bought Pixar and relied strictly on an internal division that creates toons that are "the worst".
gsimpson, Tuesday at 1:26 PMReport
#142UnlikeReply
You and RunnerFool like this.".........

Tom Morrow

It's amusing how some people stamp a promotion as tasteless and shameless, while others see it for what it is:

Earlier post:
"This is just a cute little reference to a current movie, why everyone is getting their undies in a bunch is beyond me. Once the planes movie has run its course I'm sure the retired old plane will return to its previous status as a retired old plane that gets pretty much ignored. I am curious where all you folks that hate the movie so much saw the movie? Out here in Phoenix it hasn't been released yet. It is amusing how many of the same people who condemned the company for going outside and buy Pixar instead of making toons internally are now slamming an internal Disney unit for not being Pixar. I guess the take away from such stellar logic is that Disney should not have bought Pixar and relied strictly on an internal division that creates toons that are "the worst".
gsimpson, Tuesday at 1:26 PMReport
#142UnlikeReply
You and RunnerFool like this.".........
It really has nothing to do with what movie it is promoting.

pumpkin7

I was wondering why Planes was only being shown at the cinema on a sunday and at 10.30, but I really did think it was Pixar... but then I thought MU has only just come out...
But the whole Walt's Plane with eyes thing, stupid, very stupid. Destroy history why don't you!

dadddio

Your post caused me to question my position. To check how far off base I was, I showed the page two pics to the biggest Disney lover that I know, my wife. She's a huge fan of Walt and has an aerospace admin background. As such, she is particularly fond of that particular G-159. She said that the changes were 'cute'. She then asked me why I asked and I explained that some people are saying that it is tasteless and shameless. She replied 'They're just stickers'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom