Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebeau

Since we're off topic anyway, the general opinion tends to agree with everybody here: Empire is the better movie but Star Wars laid an incredible foundation. You can pick/choose which one you prefer at will.

All this talk prompted me to pull out the Blu-Rays and watch the original trilogy again. Last night I was surprised at how slowly and properly Episode IV builds its story. The originals had real PLOTS! Tentpole Iger might want to take note.

The first film really does take its time introducing you to the characters and a world that was unimaginable in 1977. Lucas wants audiences to watch the films in chronological order instead of the order he shot them in. But they don't work that way at all. After spending over 6 hours in the world of the prequels, a new viewer would then slow down to a comparative crawl to be introduced to the world he or she just raced through 3 movies.

Iger's Disney has given up creating new worlds like Lucas and company did. This studio could never make a Star Wars. All they can do is buy other people's successful ideas and attempt to wring the last few dollars out of nostalgia. If we're lucky, they hire people who do that well. But the company isn't even trying to create new things any more. It's sad.

I could rant for pages about how idiotic the "tent pole strategy" is. But I'll spare you all ... for now.

CinematicFusion

Fixed that for ya ;)

Love Jaws, one of my favorites of all time...not close to the reception Star Wars had.
As a kid nothing touched Star Wars...Jaws was number two for a long time for me until Indiana Jones stepped into my childhood.

Love Jaws though...and it truly is the first blockbuster. Came out in 1975, two years before Star Wars.

lebeau

Lucas's loose idea was Anakin's ghost coming back younger because of the whole "Anakin died when he went to the Dark Side" thing. Of course, it's the sort of explanation that would require some exposition to take seriously within the film rather then some side comments so it doesn't work at all.

Even if that is the explanation, he seems to be being rewarded for his bad behavior. He should come back all burned and scarred. Poor Obi Wan and Yoda are senior citizens and Anakin gets to run around the afterlife in his prime?

FigmentJedi

The first film really does take its time introducing you to the characters and a world that was unimaginable in 1977. Lucas wants audiences to watch the films in chronological order instead of the order he shot them in. But they don't work that way at all. After spending over 6 hours in the world of the prequels, a new viewer would then slow down to a comparative crawl to be introduced to the world he or she just raced through 3 movies.
That's why the Best Order to watch Star Wars in is "Flashback" or "Machete" order, especially for newbies
The Machete term comes from a take on Flashback order that cuts out Episode 1 as besides being bad, in the long run it's pretty unnecessary.

Watching this way, the surprises are preserved, you start strong with New Hope and Empire, and by having prequels between Empire and Jedi, tension is built with some time between Empire and Jedi, you learn how Anakin became Vader, and you end on a high note with Jedi as everything is resolved happily and Palpatine's death becomes more satisfying having seen what he did.

lebeau

Love Jaws, one of my favorites of all time...not close to the reception Star Wars had.
As a kid nothing touched Star Wars...Jaws was number two for a long time for me until Indiana Jones stepped into my childhood.

Love Jaws though...and it truly is the first blockbuster. Came out in 1975, two years before Star Wars.

Star Wars certainly had a bigger and longer lasting cultural impact. But when I think "summer movie" I think of Jaws. Also, I've watched them both a lot of times. But Jaws holds up better for me.

As a kid, I couldn't even watch Jaws for the longest time. I remember my dad really wanted to go see the Blues Brothers. So he took us all out to the drive-in. It was a double feature (of course) Jaws 2 and Blues Brothers. My parents assured me they would show Blues Brothers first because Jaws was too scary. (Of course I shouldn't have been watching Blues Brothers either). But no, they showed Jaws first and then Blues Brothers. I couldn't take my eyes off either one.

CinematicFusion

Iger's Disney has given up creating new worlds like Lucas and company did. This studio could never make a Star Wars. All they can do is buy other people's successful ideas and attempt to wring the last few dollars out of nostalgia. If we're lucky, they hire people who do that well. But the company isn't even trying to create new things any more. It's sad.

I could rant for pages about how idiotic the "tent pole strategy" is. But I'll spare you all ... for now.

Agree, wish Disney would try something new and take a chance. At least James Cameron is trying, maybe his new movies will be above and beyond the first film. Loved the world building but had already seen dances with wolves and liked the original better in 1990.

I am hoping this new Star Wars trilogy stays with Lucas's vision interpreted through today's top talent.
Have high hopes for the trilogy.
I do think Disney is going to milk the product to death and the spinn offs might be embarrassing.
Worried about the live action abc Star Wars.
Way to much, way to fast. No way Disney keeps quality control at a top level. Hope I'm wrong

lebeau

Agree, wish Disney would try something new and take a chance. At least James Cameron is trying, maybe his new movies will be above and beyond the first film. Loved the world building but had already seen dances with wolves and liked the original better in 1990.

I am hoping this new Star Wars trilogy stays with Lucas's vision interpreted through today's top talent.
Have high hopes for the trilogy.
I do think Disney is going to milk the product to death and the spinn offs might be embarrassing.
Worried about the live action abc Star Wars.
Way to much, way to fast. No way Disney keeps quality control at a top level. Hope I'm wrong

On Avatar - I liked it. It was overhyped when it was playing in theaters and now it's fashionable to bash it. I don't think James Cameron has made a movie I have loved or a movie I haven't at least enjoyed. I expect I'll like the sequels just fine. I agree he should get credit for trying.

On the new trilogy - I'm glad Lucas isn't all that involved. I have very mixed feelings about Abrams. Wasn't a fan of his Star Trek. Especially Into Darkness. The Wrath of Khan rip-off has me wondering if he'll do something similarly awful with Star Wars.

On milking - that's all Disney knows how to do. They assimilate and destroy. Left unchecked, they will wear out the goodwill of even the most die hard Star Wars and Marvel fans.

On Star Wars on TV - I'm not worried. What are the odds it ever even happens? If it does, it can't be worse than the Star Wars Holiday Special. Plus, who watches network TV?

On quality control - we're talking about a company that sets a release date before word one of the script is written. They have no quality control.

JimboJones123

Star Wars is the best. Without Star Wars, Empire Doesn't work. Star Wars is regarded as the greatest summer movie of all time for a reason. If you were alive in 1977 when this movie came out, it would have rocked your world The strangle hold this movie had on the imaginations around the world, well... I have never and will never see anything like it again.

It mimicked the arrival of the Beatles to America, or the facination American girls had with Elvis the moment he shook his hips the first time on T.V.

Potter, Marvel...nothing comes close to Star Wars in 1977. Truly a phenomenon of epic proportions.

George Lucas was on top of his game back then. Created a world no one had ever seen with technology that was then 20 years ahead of its time.
Fast forward to 2013 and Star Wars is still relevant, and George Lucas and his 4 billion dollar check from Disney isn't doing to bad either.

We are all human and are skills don't stay as sharp forever. Micheal Jordan soon became old, Brian Wilson's flame only burned at the level of the sun for so long. In 1977, Lucas was clicking on all cylinders and man what a site it was.

Star Wars is number one...Empire is number two.
This post was not as good.

ThemeParks4Life

1. Empire - If you don't rank Empire #1 we have nothing left to talk about
2. Star Wars - I'm not calling it A New Hope no matter what George Lucas says. It was named Star Wars. And Raiders was not named Indiana Jones and the Raider of the Lost Ark either. The first film does a lot of heavy lifting and exposition.
3. Jedi - Should have been in the top two but marred slightly by Lucas trying to sell toys. Also doesn't help that most of the lead actors are clearly going through the motions.
4. Sith - It's not good. But it's the only prequel that can be called "watchable"
5. Phantom Menace - Everything good about this movie involves Darth Maul. I think he gets 15 minutes of screen time and 1 line.
6. Clones - Somehow managed to be worse than Phantom Menace even with less screen time for Jar Jar!
My exact opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom