Universal to get $500 million

midwest_mice

Original Poster
According to an article on MiceAge, Eric Davis mentions how Comcast is investing $500 million into the resort including land acquisitions. Will Disney respond and actually use some money for new additions beside Fastpass Plus?

longsaber

Land is the one thing that UO needs if it wants to be a very serious competitor. Comcast is really hurting for money right now and the parks are one of the best performing sectors of their company, so naturally they are going to put more money into them versus Disney, who is raking in cash from their newly acquired IP's.

Edit: This is a dumb post ignore it.

Last edited:

GLaDOS

Comcast is really hurting for money right now

What company are you talking about? Because Comcast has a ton of money.

Everyone always hates on Next gen...I urge people to take a wait and see approach...I'm sure a lot of people didn't like Fastpass either...

And Fastpass, to this day, has never done what it was meant to. So it's not out of the question to assume MM+ will do the same.

Goofnut1980

I just wish they would use the land and do some things other than build $1.1 mm homes and golf courses... I am not saying we need a 5th gate, the 4 we have just need to be raised to the next level.

Disney does do themes well. Unlike Uni that it looks just like warehouses. Personally for me, it is all about the experience and atmosphere. We need TDO to spend money on HS, Futureworld and Tomorrowland. Make them look nicer than they are. Keep it fresh Disney!

GLaDOS

Unlike Uni that it looks just like warehouses.

butterbeer.jpg

Florida062.jpg

SAM_0415.jpg

Best warehouses I've ever seen.

RunnerEd

I just wish they would use the land and do some things other than build $1.1 mm homes and golf courses... I am not saying we need a 5th gate, the 4 we have just need to be raised to the next level.

Disney does do themes well. Unlike Uni that it looks just like warehouses. Personally for me, it is all about the experience and atmosphere. We need TDO to spend money on HS, Futureworld and Tomorrowland. Make them look nicer than they are. Keep it fresh Disney!

Completely agree with you. I would add that the addition of a continent (North or South America or Australia would work) and a reset of Dinoland is needed at the Animal Kingdom.

ParentsOf4

Everyone always hates on Next gen...I urge people to take a wait and see approach...I'm sure a lot of people didn't like Fastpass either...

Let's not knock it till we try it! All of us are resistant to change...it's human nature...
It's 14 years since the introduction of FastPass and lots of people still don't like or use it.

14 years is a long time to say people are resistant to change.

Let's see, for FP+:
  • "Will I be able to get good selections if I don't book weeks in advance?" - No
  • "Can I get more than 3 or 4 a day?" - No
  • "Can I use it at more than one park per day?" - No
What's not to like?:rolleyes:

I'll quote Disney CFO Jay Rasulo to remind everyone why we're getting FP+:

"So if we can get people to plan their vacation before they leave home, we know that we get more time with them. We get a bigger share of their wallet."

Nothing's more fun for WDW "guests" than to see naked greed laid before them. It's why we go to WDW right, so Disney can get a big share of our wallet, right? Don't try to build more attractions to attract new guests. Don't try to offer better value or quality to encourage guest spending. Don't try to make Walt Disney World more enjoyable. Just, well, just keep us captive onsite so we don't spend our money anywhere else.:mad:

Anyone wonder why Universal investing capital for brick-and-mortar additions would be Disney news?

I don't.

The Disney news for this thread is those running the show haven't a clue how to drive growth at Walt Disney World by, heaven forbid, actually making it more fun!

Last edited:

RyenDeckard

Since I'm assuming you're talking about the Studios -

IMG_2361-L.jpg

spaceout.gif
800px-Hollywood_at_Universal_Studios_Florida.jpg
IMG_3994.jpg

I could also cherry pick from Disney and say it looks like a Town Fair.

SirLink

I don't understand why so many of you keep asking if it is too little too late as if Disney will have to close it's doors in a few years - lol

Disney (while slow to respond) will be just fine

As a consumer first - I go where the new stuff is happening. If Uni/Comcast consistently invests in UOR - then habits are broken, and when habitual consumption is broken it is hard to argue paying for the product that hasn't changed since the Yeti came to O-town.

People know Disney won't close its doors, over here in the UK the change is starting to happen with UOR getting some pretty good TV spots - as well as getting first bite of the UK tourist holiday money.

RyenDeckard

People know Disney won't close its doors, over here in the UK the change is starting to happen with UOR getting some pretty good TV spots - as well as getting first bite of the UK tourist holiday money.

When people talk about it being "too late" for Disney, I'm assuming people mean that the Disney World vacation will become the Orlando vacation, with Universal and Disney taking up equal parts of the vacation. Something like that was unheard of even six years ago, with Florida vacations usually meaning "Going to Disney World".

It's shocking really, Universal has started changing public perception incredibly quickly considering how long they were seen as a far and away second fiddle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom