Universal to get $500 million

tare

What are you talking about, you traded Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Chip and Dale themed areas plus a 10+ year late subs plot for fastpass machines and a dark ride. Sure beats a stinkin Nemo Subs and a Villian Land.
I didn't trade anyone. I have no intentions of even going to universal. Disney just needs to step it up a bit like I said. I love disney!!!

PeterAlt

The problem is, Disney will have already lost more guests to Universal by the time any of that stuff opens. They're going to pay for sitting on their hands while Universal has been building aggressively. It's so much harder to win people back once you've lost them, and now Dianey is going to have to face the music.
This is what I've been saying for the past several months here and people thought I was crazy. Now that its becoming painfully obvious, I'm no longer in the minority here, with this point of view now gaining acceptance. I think Burbank understands this too. I just hope the response isn't too little too late...

PeterAlt

The land acquisition that they spoke of was most likely for the land where Wet n' Wild currently sits which Comcast purchased this year.
No, it's not. The Wet & Wild land was $30 million. Miceage said Uni has purchased other lots in addition to the Wet & Wild land. It mentioned that one of that plots was on Universal Way but didn't say where it was exactly. It mentioned smaller lots in the area have also been acquired and that part of the $500 million is for additional land purchases. This $500 million, as it turns out, is in addition to the $1.5 billion being spent on attractions. The $30 million Wet & Wild land purchase is in addition to the $1.5 billion and the additional $500 million, and the new hotel is in addition to all that. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to buy Sea World and upgrade those assets into USO. It would be a lot easier and cost the about the same.

ParentsOf4

i dont think disney will take universal seriously as long as IOA and universal combined attendance stays millions behind MK
What Disney takes very seriously is that DHS's and DAK's attendance is many millions behind MK.

There's a reason DAK is getting Avatarland and DHS is getting Star Wars Land. Don't believe TEA's numbers; attendance at those two parks is a mess.

The good news is Disney knows they need to do something about it.

RSoxNo1

What Disney takes very seriously is that DHS's and DAK's attendance is many millions behind MK.

There's a reason DAK is getting Avatarland and DHS is getting Star Wars Land. Don't believe TEA's numbers; attendance at those two parks is a mess.

The bad news is, they'll look to do the absolute minimum to add to those parks. Think the first wave of additions at DCA prior to the $1.2 billion overhaul.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The bad news is, they'll look to do the absolute minimum to add to those parks. Think the first wave of additions at DCA prior to the $1.2 billion overhaul.

An E-ticket (ToT)
A redone dark ride (Monsters)
A new subland.. BugsLand
Millionaire..
Parades...

Sounds more than just minimal to me :)

RSoxNo1

An E-ticket (ToT)
A redone dark ride (Monsters)
A new subland.. BugsLand
Millionaire..
Parades...

Sounds more than just minimal to me :)
Or you could look at it as a bunch of bandaids. I love Tower of Terror, but the version in DCA isn't as strong as the one in DHS. Sure, the improvements to DCA pre 2008 were better than say the Dinorama improvement to DAK, but they weren't Cars Land, or Hong Kong Disneyland Phase 2. The guest response supports this.

doctornick

So, my parents recently went to Orlando and did a week long stay at Universal and only did the parks there (plus relaxing in the hotel, shopping, etc.) and did not go to Disney. Now, there are long time Disney lovers who own in the DVC. They did this trip because they got a discounted group room rate at Portofino Bay and just wanted to do a relaxing vacation (they tend to be relatively commando at Disney) and wanted to check out Universal since they have not been for maybe 8 years or so.

Anyway, brief background: parents love Disney, have been going every 1-2 years recently (since joining DVC) and probably every 3-4 years in the 80's and 90's. Dad hates thrills rides (Soarin' and Star Tours is about the limit of what he enjoys, doesn't do BTM, Splash, E:E, Space, etc.). Both loved old school Epcot and hate the changes to that park. So, when they came back, I sat them down and asked them what they thought about Universal, curious as to their experience. Since they were there a week and were not going to do anything else, they bought annual passes and went every day into one or both parks.

General impressions are this:
1. Enjoyed Portofino Bay quite a bit, thought it was very nice. Weren't "wowed" by it to the extent that they wanted to return to stay there again.
2. Thought the service at the Universal resort was quite good "almost as good as Disney". Did not have any bad encounters.
3a. Was disappointed by the counter service food selection in the parks. Felt the food was hit or miss, but mostly uninspiring and generally felt that it was boring/generic. They did think that Three Broomsticks was great.
3b. Liked the sit down places (ate at Mythos, Finnegans, Lombards) and thought they were good but not great. They had eaten at Mythos before and thought it was better previously.
4. Did not care for City Walk, felt it was too "party atmosphere" and thought a lot of younger (high school & college aged) people were there hanging out. My mom would have liked more shopping there (they did make a trip to Premium Outlets on this trip as well).
5. They felt the crowds were very similar to Disney except fewer strollers/young children (though they were still there).

Parks:
1. Both loved Spider Man and went on it repeatedly. They thought Transformers was okay, but not as good. Other particular favorites for both were Despicable Me, MiB and Simpsons.
2. Mom really enjoyed Forbidden Journey. Dad at first thought it was too scary and had his eyes closed the whole time. Second ride, he had them opened, but wasn't that impressed. He thought it was "like Soarin' except you moved". Dad thought the queue was better than the ride
3. They didn't ride any higher thrill rides (Hulk, Dragon Challenge, Rip Ride Rocket, Doctor Doom, etc.). Not either one of their thing. Mom road some like Hippogriff, Mummy, Ripsaw Falls that my dad would not do. Dad felt that SM/Transformers was the limit of "thrill" that he could handle and still enjoy the ride.
4. They felt both parks didn't have enough to do. Part of this is because they used early entry and the front of the line passes, so they burned through rides quickly. My dad, since he avoided most every thrill ride, couldn't/wouldn't do many and felt the parks really weren't worth the money. They both wished there were more sedate experiences like Disney (they love POTC, HM, Spaceship Earth, etc.) -- and that the ones they had were too "kiddy" (e.g. Suess). They also wished there was more shows (like Shrek, which they thought was okay, but not great) or Poseiden's Fury (which they both really liked).
5a. They were surprised that there was no bigtime show or parade in IOA. They expected some sort of fireworks/laser show/etc.
5b. They were not that impressed by either the parade or Cinematic Spectacular at Studios. Felt the parades/shows at Disney are much better.
6. They said there were too many water rides at IoA. My mom, who rode them all, doesn't like to get soaked on water rides but doesn't getting a little wet. Felt it was too much. Water rides are not my dad's thing.
7. They thought the theming for Harry Potter particularly stood out.

They went every day, but said it was more to "get their money's worth". They didn't feel they needed more than 1.5 days at each park. They took long breaks midday at the hotel/pool.

Overall, they liked Universal, but weren't wowed by it. They wouldn't mind going back as part of their trips to Florida since there was stuff they liked, but don't know if they would rent a car to do so, since they usually just go to Disney and stay on property and use internal transport. They plan to go back next year to use the annual passes again while they go to Disney, but don't know if they would go again in the future to Universal.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
This is what I've been saying for the past several months here and people thought I was crazy. Now that its becoming painfully obvious, I'm no longer in the minority here, with this point of view now gaining acceptance. I think Burbank understands this too. I just hope the response isn't too little too late...

I've been saying this since the original HP went in. Just by the amount of Disney Guests boarding the Mears bus at a Disney Resort to spend the day at Universal. That did begin to cover the amount of guests going via car.

I re-tripped upon Universal for a National School Board convention in 2006, we were housed at Portifino. We did 5 days at Portifino and 7 days following at Disney for spring break. Love their version of rewarding guests who stay at Uni resorts, great FP system Uni has for their guests. We now split our vacation between the two properties, we stay on property at Uni and on property at Disney. I don't believe Disney bands magic bands can calculate just how much they are loosing with us, we use to stay 2 weeks solely on Disney property. Thinking the only way they'd know is if they sent the DME to pick us up at Uni.

JimboJones123

Heading to Universal again tomorrow. 4th visit since getting APs last week.

I love this place. It has been really cool not rushing to squeeze it all in.

Reminds me of DL resort. Water rides followed by a quick trip to the room to change would be kinda cool.

Hopefully checking out Mythos tomorrow. Blues Brothers was a great time. I love TF. Is there still an HP FJ single rider line?

It was cool seeing golfers out as we were leaving. Lots of levels of food options. The theater is really cool there and cheaper than DTD.

Disneybear

Personally when I'm on Disney property...I don't care if they know when/where/what I eat/buy/ride. It will be better for us and them, they will be able to target specific offers that we will take advantage of...based upon our habits...

It's big brother...but you're on their property...so I don't get the people being upset. Next Gen is an infrastructure initiative to bring the parks into the next century. I am almost positive once the wrinkles are ironed out...Uni ends up copying it in some way. Too much potential revenue to pass up that opportunity.

There will only be a very limited number of offers for dining/fast passes available to you as these will all be prebooked as per their plan.

Therefor if you want your super duper i-bore wristband to offer you any of these deals, you better make sure you dump a bucket load of money in the gift shops as soon as you arrive at the resort. Because if you are not seen to be spending any money compared to other guests in the park that day then who do you think the system will give the oportunity to take up those offers to first?

Last edited:

ml123_9

According to an article on MiceAge, Eric Davis mentions how Comcast is investing $500 million into the resort including land acquisitions. Will Disney respond and actually use some money for new additions beside Fastpass Plus?

Yes, they will shut down rides and replace them with meet-n-greets, refurb or add some restrooms, add charging stations, and announce an AVATAR themed area and do nothing with it. Sounds like Disney has one upped Uni already

BryceM

Heading to Universal again tomorrow. 4th visit since getting APs last week.

I love this place. It has been really cool not rushing to squeeze it all in.

Reminds me of DL resort. Water rides followed by a quick trip to the room to change would be kinda cool.

Hopefully checking out Mythos tomorrow. Blues Brothers was a great time. I love TF. Is there still an HP FJ single rider line?

It was cool seeing golfers out as we were leaving. Lots of levels of food options. The theater is really cool there and cheaper than DTD.
Ugh, I'm jealous! I have not been ONCE since I got my AP, which is extremely disappointing. I only live an hour away too.

CJR

That doesn't even get into the average guest spending at each park. Indiana Jones whips probably don't sell at the same rate HP wands do. Universal also has Despicable Me, Dr. Suess, and Nickelodeon merchandise that seems to be selling really well. Although Universal has done a lot to improve their attendance, guest spending has gone through the roof compared to just five years ago.

Disney has tried to copy this in the new Fantasyland, but that doesn't really help AK or DHS. MK has never had a huge problem with guest spending. It is and always will be the king. Still, the Universal parks have made themselves known over the past few years and I think the increase in guest spending reflects that, probably much better than the attendance figures do.

JimboJones123

That doesn't even get into the average guest spending at each park. Indiana Jones whips probably don't sell at the same rate HP wands do. Universal also has Despicable Me, Dr. Suess, and Nickelodeon merchandise that seems to be selling really well. Although Universal has done a lot to improve their attendance, guest spending has gone through the roof compared to just five years ago.

Disney has tried to copy this in the new Fantasyland, but that doesn't really help AK or DHS. MK has never had a huge problem with guest spending. It is and always will be the king. Still, the Universal parks have made themselves known over the past few years and I think the increase in guest spending reflects that, probably much better than the attendance figures do.
I see more "Thing" tshirts than any other.

Now, of course most do not come from Universal, but they still promote Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom