Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweiland

I just feel if you are going to create a ride around a specific character that yes you do put in some effort and thought to the story and theme. Instead we got a rollercoaster called the hulk, that has little to actually do with the hulk. A fun ride that makes no sense! that's my point!
Are we going back to the story debate again?

:facepalm:

ctxak98

Hulk isn't trying to be anything more than a fun roller coaster with a vague concept. Stop acting like Universal failed by not putting it inside a show building or something.
Never said they failed in making a rollercoaster. I just don't like the open concept of it....Is that too hard for you to understand? Oh wait its my opinion so I guess you don't have to! :rolleyes:

Disneyhead'71

And it would be ugly and incur the wrath of most people on these boards. Popularity isn't always the same as good design. I'm not saying what this board says is going to sway anyone in the company (it obviously isn't given the discussion here and that Disney has done nothing about their rotting parks). But I think good theming matters in parks such as Disney and Universal.

It won't destroy the experience for me, but it's something I wish would be addressed (and probably would be fairly simple and not all that expensive to at least go with the smallest amount of effort at hiding the buildings).
I don't believe that you'll be disappointed with the effort put into TWWOHP:DA. It is going to be AMAZING! But you will be able to see the side of the Gringott's building from Fear Factor.

lebeau

I just feel if you are going to create a ride around a specific character that yes you do put in some effort and thought to the story and theme. Instead we got a rollercoaster called the hulk, that has little to actually do with the hulk. A fun ride that makes no sense! that's my point!

That's fine. But not everyone needs a story spelled out for them. That was one of the most annoying aspect of Disney parks during the Eisner years. Every attraction had the same "plotline for idiots" where "something goes terribly wrong".

I'll take a fun ride that evokes the idea of the Hulk over yet another ride where we are in Dr. Banner's lab and "something goes terribly wrong". Been there, done that. Have the T-shirt.*

*Seriously, I have several of them. Just won an auction for a Tower of Terror shirt on eBay.

The Empress Lilly

Disney theme park:

Personally, I'm with the 'no bare coaster track' crowd. In fact, everybody has been, until five minutes ago when it became hip and trendy to worship anything UNI.

Ten years ago, the Disneyverse was ablaze that the emperor was wearing no clothes. No matter how much cheapskate, classless Disney tried to sell baretrack coasters as 'fitting' and 'themed' because 'convulated backstory/pier theme/dinovisitorplayarea', we wouldn't have any of it. In Anaheim, this forced TWDC to rethink the aesthetic sensibilities of DCA, at great expense. The fans didn't want DCA to look just like the competition. They wanted it to have the unique Disney look. By contrast, at WDW, sadly, the fans seem to want nothing more than for WDW to copy the competition. I very much fear WDW may do as much too.

MerlinTheGoat

I don't believe that you'll be disappointed with the effort put into TWWOHP:DA. It is going to be AMAZING! But you will be able to see the side of the Gringott's building from Fear Factor.
I'm sure it will be amazing. And that is enough for me to overlook an exposed show building. It's still a complaint, just a very minor one as long as the experience itself is awesome. Everything i've heard about Gringotts so far sounds fantastic!

I'm also forgiving towards creating Hulk-like coasters as long as they create more elaborate experiences like Potter, Jurassic Park and whatever else as well to balance it.

Last edited:

njDizFan

Finding beauty in a roller coaster is like finding beauty in most modern art; either you see it or you don't.

I don't see any beauty in a Jackson Pollock or an Alexander Calder.

But a well-maintained roller coaster is a thing of beauty to me!

To be fair to Pollock and Calder, beauty is not listed in the 14 elements or principles of design. although most people are just interested in the overall aestetics.

And I do find the Hulk to be aestically pleasing

Disneyhead'71

Is that the story of the ride? are we bruce banner? why are we in a rollercoaster next to him transforming anyway? I just don't see your point but ok. I am done disagreeing for now. twisted metal is my favorite reason though. Should spidermans ride just be all webs then....cuz he makes those!?
We are in a particle accelerator.

The Empress Lilly

Nah. Blackpool Pleasure Beach is hideous. Hulk is.... gracefully visible. IMHO.

But talk about thread drifting. What happened to DHS? Carsland? Star Wars? Avland? Imagination? Rocketing budgets and promises that are unobtainable? You know, the fun stuff?
We're all discussing (bare and unthemed!) sidetracks because you are not spilling the beans mate! Come on, let's 'ave it! Wots your contacts been whispering in yer ear....? :geek:

FigmentJedi

Hulk having a particle accelerator take the form of a sweet rollercoaster also fits pretty consistently with the Marvel Universe presented on Superhero Island being a Marvel Universe where the superscience devices take the form of amusement park rides, which actually sounds like something that would happen in the What-If? series.

You've already got Doctor Doom powering a device to kill the Fantastic Four by harnessing the screams of people riding a Space Shot, the Bugle has the new Scoop vehicles which in actuality aren't out of place considering how JJJ was able to fund the creation Scorpion and Spider Slayers in the comics, and the Storm Force Acceletron is a device that uses Mad Tea Cup spinning as some device to counter Magneto's abilities. With each ride having an explanation and bizarre function as something else, combined with Marvel's love of multiverses, it actually has a logic to it that makes the basic assortment of rides in the land work in creating a pretty decent Marvel setting. It's a lot less phony feeling then the Six Flags model of throwing a DC superhero logo on a sign out front and calling it a day.

Sue_Vongello

I'm tired of people bashing, or being sarcastic, or criticizing the people who are praising Universal. No one is saying Universal is perfect but right now, the fact of the matter is, they are doing everything Disney isn't, and doing it with a sense of glee. Even if Disney announces Star Wars it's still going to have this stench of "ok you guys demanded something so here it is ... now give us all your money."

However ... this is a Disney site filled with Disney fans and just because we are praising Uni doesn't mean that we aren't dreaming, hoping, praying that Disney makes us forget about them.

lebeau

Hulk having a particle accelerator take the form of a sweet rollercoaster also fits pretty consistently with the Marvel Universe presented on Superhero Island being a Marvel Universe where the superscience devices take the form of amusement park rides, which actually sounds like something that would happen in the What-If? series.

Don't even need to go "What If?" Ever heard of Murderworld? It's a theme park filled with death traps.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
But talk about thread drifting. What happened to DHS? Carsland? Star Wars? Avland? Imagination? Rocketing budgets and promises that are unobtainable? You know, the fun stuff?
They pretty much stopped talking about any of that when '74 pretty much stopped posting useful rumour information. I'm sure we'll get back on track after his next posting of what is coming and where.

ParentsOf4

I'm tired of people bashing, or being sarcastic, or criticizing the people who are praising Universal. No one is saying Universal is perfect but right now, the fact of the matter is, they are doing everything Disney isn't, and doing it with a sense of glee. Even if Disney announces Star Wars it's still going to have this stench of "ok you guys demanded something so here it is ... now give us all your money."

However ... this is a Disney site filled with Disney fans and just because we are praising Uni doesn't mean that we aren't dreaming, hoping, praying that Disney makes us forget about them.
As a lifelong WDW fan, I'm looking forward to the day when WDW kicks Universal's butt once again and puts Uni in its place.

Does anyone think I don't have long to wait?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom