Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctxak98

Nah. Blackpool Pleasure Beach is hideous. Hulk is.... gracefully visible. IMHO.

But talk about thread drifting. What happened to DHS? Carsland? Star Wars? Avland? Imagination? Rocketing budgets and promises that are unobtainable? You know, the fun stuff?
I agree its not as bad as that, I just hate visible coasters...it just becomes a fun ride that way. But yes I agree...back on topic!

nytimez

Along with the striking visuals, the Hulk coaster has that distinct roar that you can hear from across the park. I don't think it's intentional, but it's a fantastic element. I can "hear" it whenever I see a photo of it.

I heard or read somewhere they had the option of dampening the noise, and deliberately chose not to, that they considered the roar to be an element of the attraction itself - but other people here can say whether or not that's actually true.

lebeau

well then I guess they hit the theme right on the head. nevermind everyone, I see the light!

2426959-not_sure_if_serious_or_being_sarcastic.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

I get what you're saying, but 99% of people visiting the park do not care about these type of things. If Disney were to plop an unthemed, exposed steel coaster in the middle of Future World, it would absolutely be the most popular ride in the park.
And it would be ugly and incur the wrath of most people on these boards. Popularity isn't always the same as good design. I'm not saying what this board says is going to sway anyone in the company (it obviously isn't given the discussion here and that Disney has done nothing about their rotting parks). But I think good theming matters in parks such as Disney and Universal.

It will "suffer" the same issue.

And about .01% of the guests will care.
It won't destroy the experience for me, but it's something I wish would be addressed (and probably would be fairly simple and not all that expensive to at least go with the smallest amount of effort at hiding the buildings).

ctxak98

I'm sure they do. The Hulk has been in publication a long time. But they are definitely filled with:

1. Twisted metal
2. Things that are green
3. Things that look vaguely sciency

Getting more abstract, the coaster kind of resembles the Hulk himself. Or maybe the wreckage after a fight with the military. Or one of the sciency experiments that fill Marvel comics.
Is that the story of the ride? are we bruce banner? why are we in a rollercoaster next to him transforming anyway? I just don't see your point but ok. I am done disagreeing for now. twisted metal is my favorite reason though. Should spidermans ride just be all webs then....cuz he makes those!?

lebeau

Along with the striking visuals, the Hulk coaster has that distinct roar that you can hear from across the park. I don't think it's intentional, but it's a fantastic element. I can "hear" it whenever I see a photo of it.

I heard or read somewhere they had the option of dampening the noise, and deliberately chose not to, that they considered the roar to be an element of the attraction itself - but other people here can say whether or not that's actually true.

I have read the same thing. And it's a great touch.

ctxak98

No!! All coasters must be disguised by fake mountains or they aren't worth being built!! :rolleyes:
I never said they do....It could be inside a secret lab or something....idc what....just not flying out in the open. Plus the hulk doesn't even fly!

MerlinTheGoat

I guess I'm the only person who agrees with @ctxak98...
confused24.gif
About Hulk? No, I agree too. In fact I recall a similar discussion happen in one of Eddie Sotto's threads a year or two ago, and I believe he also said that he was incredibly unimpressed with Hulk's exposed supports and track. I'm not going to go dig up the post, but he would probably tell you if you asked him.

Isn't BTMRR just a fun ride?
BTMRR is way more than just a fun ride.

Since when did this thread become a "mock anyone who likes rockwork and mountain-type coasters" discussion? I dislike the way Disney World has been handled in the past decade or so as well, but they still do really well at theming.

lebeau

Is that the story of the ride? are we bruce banner? why are we in a rollercoaster next to him transforming anyway? I just don't see your point but ok. I am done disagreeing for now. twisted metal is my favorite reason though. Should spidermans ride just be all webs then....cuz he makes those!?

So you require a literal interpretation of the theme then? A theme that revolves around a giant green rage monster? That has to be literally played out in the most spoon-fed way possible or it's just no good?

Gotcha.

Animaniac93-98

But talk about thread drifting. What happened to DHS? Carsland? Star Wars? Avland? Imagination? Rocketing budgets and promises that are unobtainable? You know, the fun stuff?

I can't get excited about things that haven't started construction yet. The maybe-sorta-might-later-not-sure back and forth over the last several months has gotten boring (IMO :)) when Disney actually picks and idea and commits to it, then I'll get excited.

Also, since overbudgeting and false promises are now par for the course, I'm not going to count them as "news or rumours" aka "fun stuff". ;)

Tom Morrow

Hulk isn't trying to be anything more than a fun roller coaster with a vague concept. Stop acting like Universal failed by not putting it inside a show building or something.

Disneyhead'71

Yup, the Roar is part of the theme. They wanted it to roar like The Hulk. The standard process when building a B&M coaster like The Hulk is to fill the box spine of the track with sand to dampen the sound. They didn't do that for The Hulk.

ctxak98

So you require a literal interpretation of the theme then? A theme that revolves around a giant green rage monster? That has to be literally played out in the most spoon-fed way possible or it's just no good?

Gotcha.
I just feel if you are going to create a ride around a specific character that yes you do put in some effort and thought to the story and theme. Instead we got a rollercoaster called the hulk, that has little to actually do with the hulk. A fun ride that makes no sense! that's my point!

lebeau

I can't get excited about things that haven't started construction yet. The maybe-sorta-might-later-not-sure back and forth over the last several months has gotten boring (IMO :)) when Disney actually picks and idea and commits to it, then I'll get excited.

Also, since overbudgeting and false promises are now par for the course, I'm not going to count them as "news or rumours" aka "fun stuff". ;)

You just summed up my feelings exactly!

ctxak98

Yup, the Roar is part of the theme. They wanted it to roar like The Hulk. The standard process when building a B&M coaster like The Hulk is to fill the box spine of the track with sand to dampen the sound. They didn't do that for The Hulk.
that's actually kind of cool and interesting! thanks for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom