Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctornick

People park hop for two reasons:

1. They planned out something else to do later in the day, like a dining reservation.

2. They are out of things to do and there isn't a reason to stay longer in that park.

So Disney has decided to try their hand at social engineering rather than address the root issue? Let's force people to make reservations in that park to keep them there!

Brilliant! What could possibly go wrong?

Right. Personally, I never saw the value of park hopping because it's just too much of a hassle to go between parks and the time lost isn't worth it for me or my family. Of course, we use internal transportation so that plays a role. There's always going to be some people who enjoy it and that's cool. But if TDO wanted to try to cut back on park hopping (in order to keep people in one park spending money all day), the solutions to revolve around:

1. Having more stuff to do in each part. That means adding (not replacing) attractions, especially more rides. Give people so much stuff to do in each park that they feel they have to spend a full day to see everything.
2. Provide quality dining experiences at each park, especially sit down meals. Obviously not an issue at Epcot, but there certainly needs to be more at DAK and better at MK/DHS (MK does benefit from having the monorail resorts, so I wouldn't be so focused on that). This would include, y'know, making the quality of food better.
3. Provide quality and engaging entertainment at each park -- a day time show and a night time show at all the parks. Honestly, they don't have to be ground breaking, they have to be enjoyable enough to inspire people to want to see them every trip (or to "not miss" on a first trip). I think Epcot is okay with their World Showcase entertainment during the day, but that means day time parades at both DAK and DHS and a night show at DAK.

Honestly, I don't think doing this stuff would be that hard. These are things Disney has done a thousand times before, they just need the money/time/willingness invested in it. I know people on here was ground breaking experiences, but I think there needs to be work on the basics first to get everything at a point where it is "good enough" before worrying about it being "plussed" into something exceptional.

nytimez

You know what, I suppose I could if I wanted to couldn't I?

I appreciate the advice, and I guess I'll have to think on that a bit, but In the mean time I hope you don't mind if I commiserate with my friends around here a bit before making any rash decisions.

If it's giving you a bad taste, there's no reason to go through with it... it's a vacation. Pick something you'll enjoy...

WDW will still be there when (and if) you're ready to go back. Who knows what condition it'll be in... but it'll be there.

SirLink

Completely agree, Uni's counter service is overpriced, pretty bad with the exception of two places (Fast Food Boulevard and Thunder Falls Terrace, which are both fantastic), and it's usually cheaper or about the same price to eat at a full service restaurant on property instead

Obviously haven't been out to Florida this year, so can't comment on Fast Food Boulevard ... but I would disagree with Thunder Falls Terrace and replace it with The Three Broomsticks - but that may of been because it was Winter and the food reminded me of home.

Scuttle

I just booked Portofino Bay, and there is $18 a day parking fee. With the rate I am getting, it is almost exactly the same price there as a "water view" room at POR even with a room only discount. Mind? Blown!

Heads up on parking at UNI resorts. If your not using your car much just valet park it. It's 25 per day compared to 18.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
When everything you know makes something impossible.... One must consider... Do we really know everything?

All this talk about park hopping and motivations - we shouldn't be so naive to believe we know everything the company is up too.
The company isnt giving us much info or even reason to trust them though. If they just came out and said, "We are having a few problems with NGE, we are working on it, give us some time." I would respect that, but they dont. They smile and say "everythings great". "Families are having fun with the technology." (LMAO at that one still, Mr Staggs) Meanwhile the house of cards is collapsing and they think we do not notice.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
If it's giving you a bad taste, there's no reason to go through with it... it's a vacation. Pick something you'll enjoy...

WDW will still be there when (and if) you're ready to go back. Who knows what condition it'll be in... but it'll be there.

I know I'll enjoy it. It's just that I'm super PO'd right now. It's more coming to the realization that:

"The day it stops being a good bang for my buck, I'll stop going"

time is on the horizon. You know!!??

It's like losing a childhood friend to crack cocaine.

nytimez

I know I'll enjoy it. It's just that I'm super PO'd right now. It's more coming to the realization that:

"The day it stops being a good bang for my buck, I'll stop going"

time is on the horizon. You know!!??

It's like losing a childhood friend to crack cocaine.

Tell me about it...

FWIW, speaking of a good bang for your buck, the annual pass good for unlimited admission all year to every national park in the country is just $80. Not per person - for your entire family.

To me, that's the best vacation value around... and one I am using more as I go to WDW less.

ShookieJones

I laughed and thought you were kind of joking at first, then the more I thought about it I realized you were not. It really is that upsetting.
When comments like that should be funny and they're not it truly is sad.
Although the analogy would be more accurate to say it's not the friend that's on crack --
It's the Parents who are supposed to be taking care of and looking after the friend that are on crack.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
When comments like that should be funny and they're not it truly is sad.
Although the analogy would be more accurate to say it's not the friend that's on crack --
It's the Parents who are supposed to be taking care of and looking after the friend that are on crack.
Or in this case, it appears the parents have just gone on an LSD binder that would make Jerry Garcia cringe.

Goofyernmost

OK, folks...reality check time. Although Disney is having some problems that they need to fix, the sooner the better, comparing it to dealing with someone on Crack is just a little melodramatic don't you think?

Maybe we could dial it back just a little and realize that this is a theme park not another human being and that at the worst, we lose a theme park that will be quickly replaced by someone else. Not going to happen anyway. Unless, something unforeseen happens Disney will be around a few more decades. Walt Disney had some extremely broad coattails. The Disney reputation will not fade away that quickly.

Besides that it is just this comparatively small group of people that have any problem with Disney at all. Most are still flying along on the past and recent company statements about how great everything is. The only true extent that Uni is going to affect WDW is by taking some visitors away and that will not be the end of Disney either, however, it might just make those executive bonus's a bit smaller. It almost seems like that would be worth it to me. :joyfull:

ShookieJones

OK, folks...reality check time. Although Disney is having some problems that they need to fix, the sooner the better, comparing it to dealing with someone on Crack is just a little melodramatic don't you think?

Maybe we could dial it back just a little and realize that this is a theme park not another human being and that at the worst, we lose a theme park that will be quickly replaced by someone else. Not going to happen anyway. Unless, something unforeseen happens Disney will be around a few more decades. Walt Disney had some extremely broad coattails. The Disney reputation will not fade away that quickly.

Besides that it is just this comparatively small group of people that have any problem with Disney at all. Most are still flying along on the past and recent company statements about how great everything is. The only true extent that Uni is going to affect WDW is by taking some visitors away and that will not be the end of Disney either, however, it might just make those executive bonus's a bit smaller. It almost seems like that would be worth it to me. :joyfull:

We're just expressing ourselves creatively a bit. Color commentary if you will.
And what I bolded there in your post is exactly true and EXACTLY what the problem is.

There was a day when Uni wasn't even a blip on the radar and WDW was kicking the cr*p out of the theme park game.

It's sad to see Uni now putting up a major fight and WDW is just phoning it in.

The fact of the matter is it's about real estate. if Uni magically had as much real estate as WDW currently owns and they could build resort hotels by dozen and quadruple their theme park capacity
then maybe just maybe you'd get the appropriate reaction out of Disney.

Realize this, I am like many, many others (who sometimes get unfairly pegged as doom and gloomers) making all these comments and predictions out of just as much love (if not more) for WDW as the so called Pixie Dusters.

MerlinTheGoat

Yes indeed. And then some.
You've just made my day Martin, thanks for answering that (particularly for doing so in the affirmative)! :D

In which case I very much hope Universal's current endeavors are successful as to further spur such major theme park projects ahead so they get done and with plenty of funding to allow them to flourish. Your confirmation that we could once again have a theme park in Florida willing to create amazing slow paced rides like what Disney used to make has sparked a ray of hope in me. The "and then some" comment just makes me even more happy!

I guess it's no secret by now that I absolutely adore and put great value in amazing EPCOT-style rides where the emphasis isn't on thrills but on thoughtful immersion via elaborate scenes/animatronics. There aren't enough of them, and i'm glad to hear you confirm at least one park in Florida is still willing to build them. I'm pretty insatiable when it comes to this type of ride. After what they did to EPCOT in the 90's, i've long since been ready for someone to step up and build these types of rides again. Hopefully we get a feast of them.

And maybe, just maybe...someday Disney will once again learn to do it again too (though i'm not putting much faith trust and pixie dust on that hope, just a small bit of hope that they're someday knocked back to their senses).

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
We're just expressing ourselves creatively a bit. Color commentary if you will.
And what I bolded there in your post is exactly true and EXACTLY what the problem is.

There was a day when Uni wasn't even a blip on the radar and WDW was kicking the cr*p out of the theme park game.

It's sad to see Uni now putting up a major fight and WDW is just phoning it in.

The fact of the matter is it's about real estate. if Uni magically had as much real estate as WDW currently owns and they could build resort hotels by dozen and quadruple their theme park capacity
then maybe just maybe you'd get the appropriate reaction out of Disney.

Realize this, I am like many, many others (who sometimes get unfairly pegged as doom and gloomers) making all these comments and predictions out of just as much love (if not more) for WDW as the so called Pixie Dusters.
You are quite correct. Most of us "doom and gloomers" have more love for WDW than the pixie dusters. Because we question the system, we are labelled "a problem." It kind of reflects whats goin on in society in general. "You will like it cause we tell you to like it!.. or else!" Sorry we are not all mindless drones that conform to anything we are told to.

Big C 73

This thread is beyond dramatic.

This thread is the same discussion that has been repeated a million times. Universal is kicking Disney's tail, and same old crap ect. I know people are upset about some things, I am too. The point is I get tired of hearing the same repetitive statement a million times in a million ways. I sometimes post my feelings good, bad, ugly but I try to keep it mixed up and limited negativity.

Disney right know may not be on top of their game, but I think the second half of this decade holds a more promising reality. I just get tired of sifting through hundreds of posts that a majority are a bit pointless in my opinion. No real fruit on the vine so to say. This is just my opinion. :bored::hilarious:

WildcatDen

Maybe Disney should just close the Florida operation. You know, sell off the land to some competitor or something. That way we could all just enjoy UNI a bit more and maybe even make it over to Sea World. Then, if anyone still misses their Disney Fix (doubtful from most comments here), they could head out to Cali or one of the superior parks elsewhere in the world. That way we wouldn't have to put up with the lousy product they are putting out. I am sure a zoo could pay for the animals from DAK. We could even ask Steve to change the site name to DLMAGIC.com. Could it happen? Should it?

Not a fair comparison, but a local restaurant recently announced they were closing. They had a chain of 5 locations and was considered on of the best in the area for double-decker sandwiches. Their pricing was a bit high and I think the growth of Jimmy Johns, Penn Station, and McCalister's took away a good portion of their business. So, without warning, they decide to close all locations. Just like that. Gone.

If TWDC is acting strictly as a business, after many poor decisions, what would keep them from dropping an under-performing sector? A rather large defense company did that with a certain ship builder in Virginia, and it seems to be working out for them.

Or maybe, they just keep going as is and allow the lemming's to continue their blind pilgrimage to the house of the mouse.

misterID

Good for you, because the truth is the way things are going, with limited EMH, staying onsite at WDW is becoming nothing more than an overpriced bus\transportation ticket to one park a day. We rent a car so it's already at the breaking point for us.

Man I am going to be spending a boatload of money at WDW in a little over 8 weeks and I have such a bad taste in my mouth right now.

I understand this, but still, WDW is still enjoyable to me, even though they are severly disappointing me. I still have that nostalgia, they still have that trump card, but with every attraction they replace with something that feels like a reach to make something "hip" or "thrilling" instead of amazing and immersive, like they used to (yeah, I guess I'm one of those "how Disney used to be" guests") the nostalia charm dimishes. I doubt it will ever fade away, though. There's enough from "how Disney used to be" to keep me going. But the visits and parks visited will be fewer and far between.

My trip is in Sept, and the lady keeps saying, "Don't you dare look forward to Universal more! That's next year. We're being sentimental this year." :in pain:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom