Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soarin' Over Pgh

People park hop for two reasons:

1. They planned out something else to do later in the day, like a dining reservation.

2. They are out of things to do and there isn't a reason to stay longer in that park.

So Disney has decided to try their hand at social engineering rather than address the root issue? Let's force people to make reservations in that park to keep them there!

Brilliant! What could possibly go wrong?

After going to Epcot for the second time during my last trip, I weighed the pros and cons of buying a PH for the day on the spot and going to AK because as it turns out, I wasn't fond of what I found at Epcot (hey, its not for everyone). I ultimately decided to go back to the hotel and hang out at the (barrrrrrrr) pool instead. I couldn't justify the cost for half of a day.

Just wanted to throw that out there. I could see how people would use PH on the daily, but I can also understand why people wouldn't bother. Next time, I'll just skip Epcot (and PH) altogether and check out Universal instead... since it seems I've kinda settled on a Uni hotel experience this time around.

crispy

When everything you know makes something impossible.... One must consider... Do we really know everything?

All this talk about park hopping and motivations - we shouldn't be so naive to believe we know everything the company is up too.

Of course not, but speculation is always interesting - as long as it stays in the realm of actual speculation and people don't get the torches and pitchforks because we are SO angry that park hopping is going away. (Not that anything like that has ever happened before!)

My family doesn't park hop anyway so limiting FP+ to just one park would not affect us. It's just interesting as to why they are doing it, and the answer could be something simple or there could indeed be an intent to discourage park hopping. On the face, it would seem that park hopping would actually generate revenue, but I am not privy to their financial data so what do I know?

Soarin' Over Pgh

When everything you know makes something impossible.... One must consider... Do we really know everything?

All this talk about park hopping and motivations - we shouldn't be so naive to believe we know everything the company is up too.

I wish I could play stupid and just "enjoy" theme parks, movies, etc. without considering what advertisements or agendas that are behind it. However my brain stops this from happening.

:\

MerlinTheGoat

To anyone who knows some of Universal's upcoming plans (perhaps @WDW1974 or @Lee @marni1971 or anyone else)-

Is there any intention at Universal's creative department to build rides that aren't just geared towards any sort of thrill, instead targeting more people who like slower paced dark rides with elaborate sets and animatronics? Or is it just going to be a continual stream of thrill rides through the end of the decade? Basically rides like classic EPCOT ones, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean etc are what i'm talking about. Emphasis not on how fast paced and in your face everything is, more calm slow paced and detailed rides that you can just sit back and enjoy looking at all the little details. And hopefully with fewer video screens and more physical sets and animatronics. That in my opinion is what they really need at this point. There are a few rides scattered around that everyone can enjoy, but not nearly enough.

While I'm glad Universal is going to start busting WDW's complacency to pieces, I'm really not a massive fan of more thrilling rides (few exceptions). Nor rides that replace physical sets and animatronics with video screens. Nor for that matter is my mom (who has always suffered from motion sickness and has to avoid anything more thrilling than Splash Mountain or Big Thunder).

It sickens me to no end that Disney mutilated EPCOT as i've said, and that there's an apparent wish to continue doing things the same way they started to in the mid-late 90's. I want Universal to appeal to the kind of people who love rides from the 60's-80's era of Disney parks. They've plenty of thrills already built and still coming, but they should appeal to the other side of the coin as well.

Last edited:

WDWDad13

To anyone who knows some of Universal's upcoming plans (perhaps @WDW1974 or @Lee @marni1971 or anyone else)-

Is there any intention at Universal's creative department to build rides that aren't just geared towards any sort of thrill, instead targeting more people who like slower paced dark rides with elaborate sets and animatronics? Or is it just going to be a continual stream of thrill rides through the end of the decade? Basically rides like classic EPCOT ones, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean etc are what i'm talking about. Emphasis not on how fast paced and in your face everything is, more calm slow paced and detailed rides that you can just sit back and enjoy looking at all the little details. And hopefully with fewer video screens and more physical sets and animatronics. That in my opinion is what they really need at this point. There are a few rides scattered around that everyone can enjoy, but not nearly enough.

THIS

this is why Uni is not like Disney.... the experiences are so different and I think you hit on part of it

WDWDad13

Thanks for the posting. I'm disappointed to see it will no longer be accepted at V&A anymore. The savings from one meal there paid for the card itself.

WHOA... wow... I was about to purchase TiW for my fall and early June trip next year... looks like I need to reconsider

misterID

While I'm glad Universal is going to start busting WDW's complacency to pieces, I'm really not a massive fan of more thrilling rides (few exceptions). Nor rides that replace physical sets and animatronics with video screens. Nor for that matter is my mom (who has always suffered from motion sickness and has to avoid anything more thrilling than Splash Mountain or Big Thunder).

I know of one family dark ride going into Seuss Landing (possibly). UNI Creative has actually made some fantastic family dark rides like you described. Now they just need to bring them over to this country :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MerlinTheGoat

THIS

this is why Uni is not like Disney.... the experiences are so different and I think you hit on part of it
The entire problem with your comment is that Disney has proven that they're guilty of the same thing. In regards to those types of rides over the past 20 years, it has changed to how Disney "was", not how they are anymore. They're in no way whatsoever exempt from criticism, due both to how many of these types of rides we've lost over the past 20 years as well as their unwillingness to create similar slower experience that come close to those old ones (Little Mermaid or Toy Story Mania for example). And i'm always fearful that they're going to remove and ruin even more of what little greatness still remains.

They've long since ruined EPCOT beyond recognition and probably repair. 3 of the 4 biggest and most amazing rides in Future World have been either gutted and replaced by complete garbage or cheap attempts at thrill rides (arguably both). The remaining one (SSE) while still good in spite of it all suffered heavily from a botched redo in 2007 and was kicked down a few notches. Still appreciate Living with the Land, which I hope isn't going to be cut as well eventually (though it was never on the same level as SSE, Imagination, WoM or Horizons). I still thank heavens that Spaceship Earth still exists (even though it's in a somewhat gimped form) and they weren't able to go through with plans to gut and transform it into a coaster...

Animal Kingdom has virtually nothing for people who just want a quiet and calm ride through elaborately detailed environments and figures. Even the safari can be rough (though it best fits my criteria at least and isn't enough to make me not want to ride it). Needs at least 3 or more slower paced rides such as boats, omnimovers or something else. I've given my own ideas for this, and they're pretty simple and obvious ones that i'm sure Disney has already thought of themselves (but are too dumb to add). Pandora is supposed to have a thrill ride (boat ride was supposedly in an earlier plan but rumored to have been sliced).

And all DHS has is the Great Movie Ride for my tastes (even people who liked the Backlot Tour know it's a shell of its former self, though it was never my cup of tea). Toy Story Mania was a massive let down (I consider myself lucky to have not stood in line long for it). Everything i've heard about the expansion plans for DHS are thrill-based (Star Wars is rumored to have a coaster with video screens attached to the cars, not interested).

I've seen no upcoming rumored projects from Disney that are supposed to be decent slower paced rides. We can only hope about Imagination but know nothing about it. Mystic Manor looks amazing, but that's in Hong Kong where money is (or was) actually being spent on quality.

Thrill vs thrill, Universal has unquestionably beaten Disney. And Disney doesn't even try to create rides like Horizons anymore. Ever dwindling leftovers are all that is left for people like myself at WDW. Universal is at least putting effort into their rides, even if they aren't rides i'm the biggest fan of. WDW can't even say that much anymore. And if Universal starts building some awesome slower paced rides to complement their thrilling ones (and i'm guessing they will eventually since they're after blood with regards to Disney), they'll be getting some praise from me without a doubt. We'll see.

Last edited:

tissandtully

I know of one family dark ride going into Seuss Landing (possibly). UNI Creative has actually made some fantastic family dark rides like you described. Now they just need to bring them over to this country :)

Being from Florida and seeing all other nationalities on a daily basis, I have some amazing stories about ugly [insert any nationality here] making an idiot out of themselves.

Yes, the Sesame Street ride at Universal Singapore looks like a lot of fun.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
We park hop because we hit a park early in the morning - before the crowds and heat- then go back to the pool or waterpark. Then we shower, get ready for dinner, and hit another park after our meal ( unless we are already in a park ) and with the sun down.

This is our MO as well.

What is with WDW?? A war on Park Hopping now?

I just don't freakin' get it.
It's mind boggling. Make Park Hopping difficult or no existent?
I can guarantee you as far as I am concerned I'll never see the inside of DAK again.
DHS has a chance because it houses ToT, but that will be questionable as well.

I'm going to be staying onsite at Uni for the first time this year 3 days at HR the last part of our vacation.

If WDW keeps going the way they're going I can see this playing out this way:

Stay on site at Uni for all 7 nights (Deluxe level accommodations at a way better price than WDW, PLUS express pass!??yeah!) .
While staying at Universal, Take a day or two out to visit MK, A day out to Visit Epcot, maybe DHS and the rest will go to Uni.

Universal is doing everything possible to show they want my business,
while WDW is showing me they're doing everything possible to get my money.

Astro Blaster

I'm a huge monorail fan, so I actually enjoy park hopping to and from MK and EPCOT. I would rather be punched in the head by Mike Tyson in his prime than try to go from AK to DHS and back to a hotel later, or something of the like (edit - by using Disney transport). Car is definitely where it's at.

Although, during my last trip I learned that the walk between DHS and EPCOT can actually be very pleasant if it's mid afternoon and you feel like spreading out the day.

Pentacat

That is the secret. But once I take that step, I really have no reason to stay on property anymore. And before you know it, I'll find myself staying at Universal.

Why is it everything in this thread keeps leading me back to the same conclusion?

If you stay on property you get to park for free at the parks, which can make a difference. Does Uni charge for parking like some of the other off property resorts?

The pain of WDW transportation is probably my least favorite thing about going to WDW these days....hence the rental car. My one experience with Magical Express was decidedly un-Magical....still better than Mears though.

RunnerEd

I'm a huge monorail fan, so I actually enjoy park hopping to and from MK and EPCOT. I would rather be punched in the head by Mike Tyson in his prime than try to go from AK to DHS and back to a hotel later, or something of the like (edit - by using Disney transport). Car is definitely where it's at.

Although, during my last trip I learned that the walk between DHS and EPCOT can actually be very pleasant if it's mid afternoon and you feel like spreading out the day.

I love to walk through the Boardwalk/YCBC area. It's a great stroll in the early evening!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom