Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

asianway

Let's just be clear here. The glass in cornea and dishwasher are unacceptable at ANY hotel, esp. at a Disney one with such lack of care for the person injured afterwards. You're absolutely right; I hope the two posters involved do contact her. Thanks for posting the info. And I stand by my former statement. :)
Absolutely, unacceptable at an Econolodge or Motel 6 or even a dive on OBT. This is why Spirit is stating Disney cant be a market leader when they cant get the fundamentals right.

SirLink

WDW is finding all sorts of ways to bill labor to NextGen budgets to keep their own numbers looking neat and pretty. I can't even guess or imagine how many hours of WDW's OT got transferred onto that stack of accounting. But it's adding up.

So when do the E-ticket attractions close 1 hour before park closure over? Under/over in the next 9 months?

RyenDeckard

I remember reading a post about a guy bawling in the Contemporary lobby because he just realized that Potter was at Universal and not at Disney.

Pretty sure that was the Grand Floridian but I remember that post too. It was really funny and also super depressing.

I don't understand those people though. I've been planning a hypothetical trip to California for the past year now, and already have bus maps and attraction lists planned out. I don't know who would drop that kind of money and not do the slightest bit of research.

fosse76

I've heard some great things about the Portofino and it certainly looks nice in photos (actually reminds me a bit of the MiraCosta), but this really has me intrigued. Wonder what kind of rate I can find on it in the fall...
I had an AP rate of roughly $203/night for a Deluxe King Room. I would NEVER pay that much for a room for just myself, but based on 2-days of express pass (which I always end-up buying), plus factoring in what I was already paying for the Days Inn across the street (where I generally stay), I saved a little bit of money (though I wasn't as lucky with my room rate as the Spirit!).

Just so everyone has an idea of what Portofino looks like:

View from my room:
9417891570_dca0389da6_o.jpg

From the Water Taxi Dock:
9415124907_3c50574c4b_o.jpg

Deluxe King Room:
9417891602_7dc9f2fbae_o.jpg

9415125007_6d5ff66a87_o.jpg

RyenDeckard

Even w/ the huge markup in rooms.... if Uni isn't getting a bigger profit margin on their property yet, it will soon enough, and the MK doesn't have to lose the #1 spot for number of guests for that to happen...

I've heard this argument before and it's pretty accurate. If WDW's attendance drops to the levels of Universal they will start to lose money rapidly due to their massive size and infrastructure demands.

They don't need to keep the attendance they have currently, but even a 10% drop would (presumably) be catastrophic.

lebeau

I had an AP rate of roughly $203/night for a Deluxe King Room. I would NEVER pay that much for a room for just myself, but based on 2-days of express pass (which I always end-up buying), plus factoring in what I was already paying for the Days Inn across the street (where I generally stay), I saved a little bit of money (though I wasn't as lucky with my room rate as the Spirit!).

Just so everyone has an idea of what Portofino looks like:

View from my room:
9417891570_dca0389da6_o.jpg

From the Water Taxi Dock:
9415124907_3c50574c4b_o.jpg

Deluxe King Room:
9417891602_7dc9f2fbae_o.jpg

9415125007_6d5ff66a87_o.jpg

liz-lemon-i-want-to-go-to-there.gif

HMF

it's not en vogue to me to bash disney. like some who are critical on these boards, it actually hurts me to do it. but what am i supposed to do? hand disney my money, close my eyes, and pretend it was the same guest experience as 20 years ago? it's just not. as a consumer, why would i pay more for an inferior product (whether you compare it to the disney of yesterday or the universal of today)?
That's exactly how I feel whenever I read about the state of WDW. It really does pain me to have to criticize Disney but I have to criticize them, I can't just pretend to be happy with the way the place is being run. It's painful for me to watch the decline happen and I feel that as a fan I have an obligation to call them out for their failures in order to prevent WDW from sinking even lower.

RyenDeckard

You also have to realize the double standard here that if Disney were to let another company build hotels on their property, then they are just giving up, not being creative, etc. But Universal allowing Loews to build/run hotels on property is perfectly fine.

You're absolutely right, but that's because Disney started running the resorts on their own.

The reason Universal is getting so much love is because they used to be second fiddle by quite a margin, and it's standard for the second fiddle to do what they did. Disney set the expectation for them to run their own resorts, and if they back away from that, they are essentially giving up that idea.

Not that it would happen, I'm pretty sure Disney makes a large portion of their money running the resorts.

PhotoDave219

Ive stayed at Hard Rock and Portifino Bay a few years back as well as one of the Swan/Dolphins (the cheaper one) and a junior suite at the Copley Place Westin in Boston.

All of those blow away Disney hotel rooms. (Except contemporary, thats in the ballpark)

RyenDeckard

That's true. But it's kinda the same reason that a Courtyard by Marriott is $300+ in Times Square, vs $109 in Buckhead (Atlanta). Why is that? Location, Location, Location.

Universal has an arguably better location than Disney does if you are doing a multi-resort Orlando vacation. You're close to, obviously, the Universal Orlando Resort, the Seaworld resort area, International Drive, and a 20 minute drive from Disney.

With Universal you are right on top of everything that isn't Disney, which is a whole lot.

RyenDeckard

That's exactly how I feel whenever I read about the state of WDW. It really does pain me to have to criticize Disney but I have to criticize them, I can't just pretend to be happy with the way the place is being run. It's painful for me to watch the decline happen and I feel that as a fan I have an obligation to call them out for their failures in order to prevent WDW from sinking even lower.

That's exactly how I feel too. I'm 23, growing up my parents would take me on a yearly vacation to Orlando (I was very lucky). I grew up going to the Disney parks, even when they were starting their decline, I loved them dearly. I still get nostalgic listening to the Epcot Innovations theme playing.

When I go to Epcot, I hear that theme and remember what it was; a vision of an optimistic future, filled with opportunities to learn and be entertained, have your imagination run wild and after Illuminations feel hope for our future and a deep connection with people all over the world.

Then I snap back to reality and realize they replaced Horizons with a modern-ish space flight simulator, The Living Seas with a Pixer film, removed the wonder from Spaceship earth adding a flash animation instead of half of the ride, and the only major addition in the past decade has been a helicopter tour through America.

It's deeply, deeply saddening.

Last edited by a moderator:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I've heard this argument before and it's pretty accurate. If WDW's attendance drops to the levels of Universal they will start to lose money rapidly due to their massive size and infrastructure demands.

They don't need to keep the attendance they have currently, but even a 10% drop would (presumably) be catastrophic.

I think it would take less then a 10% drop to be catastrophic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom