Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Think of it this way: Disney sold 5.7 million Bay Lake Tower points. If you assume an average of $110 per point that's 627M. It cost them $140M to build. Profit before sales and DVC overhead costs $487M. More than enough money to pay for the entire Fantasyland Expansion. Without DVC profits it is possible Disney would spend even less on WDW parks (I know it doesn't seem possible, but it actually is). The main thing hurt by DVC expansion is the deluxe resorts.

On the Poly DVC front, that sucks but isn't all that surprising I guess. I wish for once we would hear a great rumor and the reality would actually exceed our expectations and blow us away instead of disappointing. Trader Sams at Poly would be cool though.
Good point and explanation - and it didn't make my brain hurt.

tl77

I respect that so many love the Polynesian but, to me, it feels like what it is: a 1960s imagined version of what a South Pacific hotel would look like to a bunch of middle-aged guys. Each time I visit, I expect to see Steve McGarrett (the 1970s version) to walk by. "Book 'em Danno." ;)

I was hoping an extensive refurb driven by the DVC would finally bring the Poly into the 21st Century.

Most of the resort hotels in the real South Pacific were built in the 60's and 70's... So wouldn't that make Disney's Polynesian... historically accurate? ....just a little something to think about ;)

bethymouse

Bummer news all around. The Polynesian is my favorite resort and I definitely wanted to add on DVC points there. I hope they don't scrap it all together. And I've been keeping my fingers crossed they would keep the GCH as is but I guess that's sounding less and less likely :( I do love Trader Sam's though so that's one plus. Keep us posted, Tikiman!
Love your avatar! Cute Kitty Cat!:cat:

tl77

The Poly was the first resort I was ever at, and as much as I love the water fall in the lobby I think maybe the reason they're having to get rid of it is because the resort has nearly doubled in size since it first opened, and if they add even more DVC rooms I think they are simply going to need more lobby space

Poly%20Animation%201.gif

CDavid

In the middle of all the (completely justified) outrage over the what is to become of the GCH, we haven't really touched on the question of just why Disney would scale back DVC plans at the Polynesian. We know DVC is a cash cow for WDW and they are addicted to (over) building more and more timeshares regardless of its long-term implications and with little regard to maintaining theme and setting amongst the resorts (particularly around the Seven Seas lagoon). So, why scale back development at a resort certain to be a fast sellout at a premium price?

ParentsOf4

Most of the resort hotels in the real South Pacific were built in the 60's and 70's... So wouldn't that make Disney's Polynesian... historically accurate? ....just a little something to think about ;)
Most hotels that old have been torn down or gone through major renovation (like gutting the entire interior). Certainly any high-end hotel charging $500/night has been modernized.:D

The Poly generally receives a pass because of pixie dust nostalgia but, IMHO, it just feels tired and dated.

I understand why so many love it but if it wasn't located on WDW property, it would have needed to go through a major renovation to survive.

P.S. I just found out it received a major renovation in 2002! OMG, so that 1970's look is intentional!:)

ParentsOf4

In the middle of all the (completely justified) outrage over the what is to become of the GCH, we haven't really touched on the question of just why Disney would scale back DVC plans at the Polynesian. We know DVC is a cash cow for WDW and they are addicted to (over) building more and more timeshares regardless of its long-term implications and with little regard to maintaining theme and setting amongst the resorts (particularly around the Seven Seas lagoon). So, why scale back development at a resort certain to be a fast sellout at a premium price?
Great question!

The sale of Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV) has been disappointing. It looks like it will finally sell out some time next year, painfully slow by DVC standards. In a short time span, AKV (opened in 2006 with 708 rooms), BLT (2009 with 428 rooms), and SSR (2004 with 1260 rooms) doubled the number of DVC rooms. The Villas at the Grand Floridian (VGF), opening later this year, is much smaller, only 147 rooms, tiny by DVC standards. They already should have some preliminary sales numbers from that indicating how successful a Poly DVC should be.

Is what's being scaled back the number of DVC rooms or the upgrades being made? In other words, is DVC reaching a saturation point or is corporate Disney trying to build the Poly DVC on the cheap?

With DVC prices now starting in the $150/point range, the market is very different than 10 years ago when Disney was asking around $65/point.

I'm looking forward to reading the new plans from @tikiman.

llrain

"it just seems like they are out to wreck what people love"
On recent visits to European Countries I was first hand taught the fact and a couple times asked
by locals, "Why does America tear everything down, dont you like to keep your history".
It was here that I learned that as a country we no longer accept our history and embrace it and that
sooner or later everything of our past will be gone.
I loved the passion and embracing of the Italians, Irish and french in their past, How they spoke of it and
how their History is well alive.
I also wish they would not touch anything POLY but what are you going to do?

I love that place leave it alone, it just seems like anymore they are out to wreck what people love. Im drawing a blank or brain fluff though on trader sams what is that? What about Ohana/Kona/ etc etc? Is all that going to change or move?? ...the water feature hasnt worked in GCH for sometime now though anyway as like many other water features around Disney, cough maelstrom.

majortom1981

Great question!

The sale of Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV) has been disappointing. It looks like it will finally sell out some time next year, painfully slow by DVC standards. In a short time span, AKV (opened in 2006 with 708 rooms), BLT (2009 with 428 rooms), and SSR (2004 with 1260 rooms) doubled the number of DVC rooms. The Villas at the Grand Floridian (VGF), opening later this year, is much smaller, only 147 rooms, tiny by DVC standards. They already should have some preliminary sales numbers from that indicating how successful a Poly DVC should be.

Is what's being scaled back the number of DVC rooms or the upgrades being made? In other words, is DVC reaching a saturation point or is corporate Disney trying to build the Poly DVC on the cheap?

With DVC prices now starting in the $150/point range, the market is very different than 10 years ago when Disney was asking around $65/point.

I'm looking forward to reading the new plans from @tikiman.

AKV is not selling fast because of location. You have to take a 20 min long bus ride to everywhere except animal kingdom. Also the fact that kidani doesn't have quick service and you need to go to jambo house for it.

willtravel

It's been awhile since I have been there and may be mistaken, but doesn't WL have a water feature? If so, is that a lot of maintenance?

GLaDOS

I thought Trader Sams was part of the Disney Springs plan.

Nope. Sam's hasn't been in the Springs plan since before it was announced.

Think a similar experience, with a different theme and bigger location. Then you have one of WDI's plans for DS.

bgraham34

tikiman

Original Poster
Most hotels that old have been torn down or gone through major renovation (like gutting the entire interior). Certainly any high-end hotel charging $500/night has been modernized.:D

The Poly generally receives a pass because of pixie dust nostalgia but, IMHO, it just feels tired and dated.

I understand why so many love it but if it wasn't located on WDW property, it would have needed to go through a major renovation to survive.

The Polynesian buildings were completely gutted in 2002. All the rooms were stripped out of everything but the steel walls and some of the air ducting. This redesign (2013) removed everything out of the halls and added in new plumbing and HVAC. Perception maybe that the Polynesian is old and untouched but that is just untrue. Very little other than the look of the outside of the resort is original. Even the exterior materials of the longhouses have been replaced in the last few years.
construc4.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom