Beastly Kingdomme still possible?

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Now, this isn't a "BK is coming!" rumor or anything...which is why it is in "General Discussion"

Let's just play "What if?" for a minute.

Many of the Imagineers that worked on the Beastly Kingdomme project got hired by Universal and the concept of (not actual rides/attractions) it became The Lost Continent at Islands of Adventure.

Now that Harry Potter has become such a huge success...I can't imagine that the idea of expanding the Wizarding World hasn't crossed their minds. The most logical expansion (after HP Phase 2) would be the remaining Lost Continent. They'd lose the Sinbad show and Poseidon's Adventure and Mythos.

If all of that land became the Wizarding World...the Lost Continent wouldn't exist and the "theme" would be back on the table.

Would Disney look at this as a new "viable" option?

Beholder

As much as I hate to say this, I don't think it's going to happen. Disney has invested so much in IPs, I think that's where any and all future expansions will come from. However, I hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see a fully realized "land" dedicated to the mythological and fantastic.

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
As much as I hate to say this, I don't think it's going to happen. Disney has invested so much in IPs, I think that's where any and all future expansions will come from. However, I hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see a fully realized "land" dedicated to the mythological and fantastic.

You don't even need to theme it completely like a mythological realm (like Lost Continent)...it could just be Europe with a castle, Scotland with the Loch Ness, etc.

Beholder

You don't even need to theme it completely like a mythological realm (like Lost Continent)...it could just be Europe with a castle, Scotland with the Loch Ness, etc.

It would be interesting to set it up like a World Showcase, an area with pavilions representing various countries, but instead of food and cultural merchandise, it highlighted the various myths and folk tales from that country.

I'm sure there'd be a healthy dose of merch though!

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
If Avatar actually does get built @ DAK, there is no way that they'll put down another huge chunk of change for another expansion/land at that park.

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
If Avatar actually does get built @ DAK, there is no way that they'll put down another huge chunk of change for another expansion/land at that park.

Well...they are rumored to be building two expansions to DHS.

If Avatar opens and doesn't draw like they want, another expansion won't be off the table.

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Trust me, I'd be ecstatic if they built BK. I just see the likelihood about the same as them putting in a fifth gate.

Oh I agree...a monorail expansion is more likely.

I just think that, at least, the discussion could be back on the table if Lost Continent is completely bulldozed/replaced.

WDWYankee15

Well...they are rumored to be building two expansions to DHS.

If Avatar opens and doesn't draw like they want, another expansion won't be off the table.

Fair enough, but DHS rumored two projects are entirely different projests. One is sci fi adventure (Star Wars) and the other is a PIXAR child's fanatsy world (CARS). Avatar and Beastly Kingdom, while different subject matters in a proper sense, are the same in the general thematic sense and appeal to the same market demographic. They are both about the "mythical world."

Your statement that "If Avatar opens and doesn't draw like they want, another expansion won't be off the table." may very well be and prove to be true. However the second expansion will in no way be the same type of theme, especially if Avatar opens and doesn't draw like they want, because that suggests that that second expansion to will fail.

Avatar is/was Disney's attempt to incorporate the mytical world of animals into Animal Kingdom, as was their intention in original plan for Animal Kingdom. They choose Avatar is the avenue to carry out that inclusion because they probably believe that the idea of James Cameron and the movie itself would led to a great draw for interest in such an area.

For better or worse, Avatar is the substitution for Beastly Kingdom.

WDWFREAK53

Original Poster
Fair enough, but DHS rumored two projects are entirely different projests. One is sci fi adventure (Star Wars) and the other is a PIXAR child's fanatsy world (CARS). Avatar and Beastly Kingdom, while different subject matters in a proper sense, are the same in the general thematic sense and appeal to the same market demographic. They are both about the "mythical world."

Your statement that "If Avatar opens and doesn't draw like they want, another expansion won't be off the table." may very well be and prove to be true. However the second expansion will in no way be the same type of theme, especially if Avatar opens and doesn't draw like they want, because that suggests that that second expansion to will fail.

Avatar is/was Disney's attempt to incorporate the mytical world of animals into Animal Kingdom, as was their intention in original plan for Animal Kingdom. They choose Avatar is the avenue to carry out that inclusion because they probably believe that the idea of James Cameron and the movie itself would led to a great draw for interest in such an area.

For better or worse, Avatar is the substitution for Beastly Kingdom.

A land themed to Europe and it's mythological creatures is far from the same as a theme of an alien planet with unrecognizable creatures for those that haven't seen the movie.

The logo has a dragon just in silhouette...and people know what it is, if you did the same with a creature from Avatar, most people wouldn't be able to tell what it was.

WDWYankee15

A land themed to Europe and it's mythological creatures is far from the same as a theme of an alien planet with unrecognizable creatures for those that haven't seen the movie.

The logo has a dragon just in silhouette...and people know what it is, if you did the same with a creature from Avatar, most people wouldn't be able to tell what it was.
I said in general terms they are the same. Aliens are mythological creatures. The reality is as you say, if you haven't seen Avatar you wouldn't know what they are. I certainly get your point that they are different topics, but I would say they are a subset of the same general category. With that being said if Avatar land did not do well they wouldn't go to the same well to try to pull a topic to create another land to save AK attendance.

billDozer

nothing's never off the table at imagineering ak needs a way to cool guests off and more things to do and bk could do that but its themeing to attraction ratio is better for a later expansion where they need more capacity

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom