Beastly Kingdomme still possible?

Magenta Panther

In the film, humans had to learn the Na'vi culture, their creatures, their habits, etc. They had to adapt and learn to coexist in nature. What does it matter that the nature doesn't occur on Earth? If Dragons and Unicorns were supposed to be granted access to Animal Kingdom, then so can pretty much anything in my book. They aren't legend as much as myth. Pandora fits under the wide umbrella definition of "Mythical" and "imagined"

If anyone has a textbook definition that says Animal Kingdom has to focus solely on Earth, then please let me know, because I don't recall anything of the sort.

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.
Michael D. Eisner, April 22, 1998

I don't see any blue kitty cats in Eisner's description. And I sure as heck didn't see any dragons in Avatar.

Dragons, unicorns etc. are eternal icons. They've appeared in film, art, and literature and their appeal has spanned centuries. Cameron's blue kitty cats are a flash in the pan. Avatar was just eye candy coupled with a boring preachy environmental message. Overrated film. Iger bought the rights because he's a cement head who thought he'd hit on a way to counter Potter. He was wrong. I don't visit AK as it is, because as a Disney fan, I'm disgusted by the broken yeti and there's not much to do there anyway. If Avatar is inflicted upon it, I'll avoid the place like the plague.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
I can easily spend a full day there as well. It's a great place to just walk around and observe the scenery. That said, there are plans to extend the hours into the evening so there needs to be more to do. And a lot of guests aren't as interested in DAK because it is heavy on the animal trails and shows; there is a demand for more rides.

Another E-ticket is certainly needed and hopefully we'll get one with the Avatar expansion. But the park also needs a bunch of small C-ticket rides to fill out the park.

Being able to wander around DAK after-dark and photograph the place is one of the things on my WDW bucket list.

The other benefit of getting some more attractions into DAK is that would hopefully allow them to take EE down long enough to fix the Yeti......

Magenta Panther

Actually, there were Pandora's version of dragons, called the Mountain Banshee. http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Mountain_Banshee

Environmental messages are part of what Animal Kingdom stands for. Kali River Rapids preaches the conservation of the rain forest and the environmental impact of our harvesting of resources. Conservation Station at Rafiki's Planet Watch illustrates the protection of animals. And so on, you can find these environmental messages throughout the park. No offense intended, but if you don't even visit AK as it is, how could you possibly know for a fact that Avatar does not fit in AK?

And I'm not sure how we've drawn conclusions that Iger was wrong, before it's open, before it's started construction, and even before the concept art phase. That is jumping to unnecessary and irrational conclusions. There is no way to prove that other than your own opinion.

I'm ashamed by the Yeti myself. It's been years since it was properly functioning which is pathetic. In addition, Dinosaur has had its fair share of issues as well in the past few rides. However, I do feel there is a lot to do there. I feel like what AK needs are a few indoor attractions (a couple dark rides perhaps) to offset the majority in outdoor attractions. Especially in the summer, the heat in that park is unbearable, so a couple more indoor locations to cool off, yet still "do" something of value would do the park wonders. (And I believe the Avatar E-ticket is indoors so it's a win-win)

I know that Avatar would be a lousy fit for AK because Avatar is science fiction. Just because it included a tedious pretentious "environmental message" doesn't make its inclusion in AK any less an obvious pandering (pan-dor-ing?) gimmick. In my opinion, TDO is contemplating blowing a wad of money on a property most families aren't interested in. The money would be better spent coming up with a great dark ride based on The Lion King or even The Jungle Book. Both would be much more popular with WDW's core customers, because most people who visit a Disney park want to see Disney characters. Even Iger admitted that the failure of the original DCA was because there wasn't enough Disney in it. I think you can apply that criteria to AK. Adding Cameron's weird kitties and "mountain banshees" won't remedy that. Just my opinion.

WEDway1975

Is Avatar even relevant anymore?
confused24.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom