Beastly Kingdomme still possible?

The Excavator

Now, this isn't a "BK is coming!" rumor or anything...which is why it is in "General Discussion"

Let's just play "What if?" for a minute.

Many of the Imagineers that worked on the Beastly Kingdomme project got hired by Universal and the concept of (not actual rides/attractions) it became The Lost Continent at Islands of Adventure.

Now that Harry Potter has become such a huge success...I can't imagine that the idea of expanding the Wizarding World hasn't crossed their minds. The most logical expansion (after HP Phase 2) would be the remaining Lost Continent. They'd lose the Sinbad show and Poseidon's Adventure and Mythos.

If all of that land became the Wizarding World...the Lost Continent wouldn't exist and the "theme" would be back on the table.

Would Disney look at this as a new "viable" option?

I think Beastly Kingdomme Disney World version is and will be forever frozen in the Blue Sky phase of development. I thought it was an innovative idea at the time, but now it wouldn't be original or unique whatsoever.

I'd rather see Avatar play out. Not sure why there is so much displeasure for an idea that hasn't even been seen in concept art yet. The only thing I'm displeased with regarding Avatar is the fact that we haven't seen any concept art. Other than that, I think it is a great fit for the overall message of conservation and human/species compatibility in the Animal Kingdom, philosophies that I'm curious how Beastly Kingdomme would have ever evoked.

FettFan

Now, this isn't a "BK is coming!" rumor or anything...which is why it is in "General Discussion"

Let's just play "What if?" for a minute.

Many of the Imagineers that worked on the Beastly Kingdomme project got hired by Universal and the concept of (not actual rides/attractions) it became The Lost Continent at Islands of Adventure.

Now that Harry Potter has become such a huge success...I can't imagine that the idea of expanding the Wizarding World hasn't crossed their minds. The most logical expansion (after HP Phase 2) would be the remaining Lost Continent. They'd lose the Sinbad show and Poseidon's Adventure and Mythos.

If all of that land became the Wizarding World...the Lost Continent wouldn't exist and the "theme" would be back on the table.

Would Disney look at this as a new "viable" option?

I'm still under the impression that Avatar Land is Disney's way of getting Beastly Kingdom by making Fox pay for it. Once the "Avatar hype" (lol) winds down, they can just re-theme it to Beastly Kingdom. Rip the rubber skin off an Avatar-Pteranodon-thing,
hqdefault.jpg

and bada-bing you have the basic structure for a dragon. Just change a few things and put a new skin on it.

doctornick

If Avatar actually does get built @ DAK, there is no way that they'll put down another huge chunk of change for another expansion/land at that park.

While I agree with you, I think it is short-sighted on TDO's part, since rumor is that Avatar with only have 2 rides at most. DAK needs a bunch more than that to really become the "full day park" that it should be.

I don't see Beastly Kindomme ever happening, but there should be more added to the part than just Avatar.

The Excavator

Because Avatar was a terrible, and terribly-overpraised movie.

So just because you dislike the movie and think it's over-rated means that they shouldn't use for their theme parks?

A lot of people disliked Song of the South too, but i'm sure glad they turned that movie into an attraction.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
While I agree with you, I think it is short-sighted on TDO's part, since rumor is that Avatar with only have 2 rides at most. DAK needs a bunch more than that to really become the "full day park" that it should be.

I don't see Beastly Kindomme ever happening, but there should be more added to the part than just Avatar.

Agree mostly with you (my wife and I can easily spend a full day @ DAK as-is). Another E-ticket to take the weight off of EE would be huge for the park.

FettFan

So just because you dislike the movie and think it's over-rated means that they shouldn't use for their theme parks?

A lot of people disliked Song of the South too, but i'm sure glad they turned that movie into an attraction.

1. Alien creatures simply do not belong in Animal Kingdom. If they are going to have an Avatar themed area, DHS is the place to put it.

2. They turned the Brer Rabbit story into an attraction (which only constitutes twenty-five of the film's 96 minute run-time), and even then they ripped out anything that could be construed as "racist". Hence, Brer Rabbit does not get captured by getting stuck in the tar baby, as according to the actual story.
What you see on Splash Mountain is an extremely censored version of SotS, combined with America Sings.

Magenta Panther

1. Alien creatures simply do not belong in Animal Kingdom. If they are going to have an Avatar themed area, DHS is the place to put it.

2. They turned the Brer Rabbit story into an attraction (which only constitutes twenty-five of the film's 96 minute run-time), and even then they ripped out anything that could be construed as "racist". Hence, Brer Rabbit does not get captured by getting stuck in the tar baby, as according to the actual story.
What you see on Splash Mountain is an extremely censored version of SotS, combined with America Sings.

THANK YOU. So many miss the fact that the Avatar kitty cats are NOT OF THIS EARTH. They live on another freakin' planet, so how are they relevant to Animal Kingdom in any way? Now, dragons, unicorns, gryphons and so on ARE part of this world - in legend. They were supposed to be part of AK from the very beginning, which is why there's a dragon in AK's logo - which, given what happened to the Beastly Kingdomme part of AK, now looks as wrong and appalling as the broken yeti. Adding Avatar to AK is not going to solve that park's problems. You know what they say about putting lipstick on a pig...

The Excavator

1.) First you retorted that Avatar was a terrible and an over-rated movie, but now all that's okay if it gets put in Hollywood Studios rather than Animal Kingdom. Not sure what adding another IP to a park that suffers from being a thematic mess is going to solve. The real fit is AK.

2.) My point of bringing that up is that the reception of a film by critics does not deter an attraction if the film itself has content that may create a great attraction.

FettFan

They need to add Australia as a land, since it's home to some of the most unique creatures on the face of the earth.

And we can have Disney-fied covers of Men at Work playing over the speakers.

The Excavator

THANK YOU. So many miss the fact that the Avatar kitty cats are NOT OF THIS EARTH. They live on another freakin' planet, so how are they relevant to Animal Kingdom in any way? Now, dragons, unicorns, gryphons and so on ARE part of this world - in legend. They were supposed to be part of AK from the very beginning, which is why there's a dragon in AK's logo - which, given what happened to the Beastly Kingdomme part of AK, now looks as wrong and appalling as the broken yeti. Adding Avatar to AK is not going to solve that park's problems. You know what they say about putting lipstick on a pig...

In the film, humans had to learn the Na'vi culture, their creatures, their habits, etc. They had to adapt and learn to coexist in nature. What does it matter that the nature doesn't occur on Earth? If Dragons and Unicorns were supposed to be granted access to Animal Kingdom, then so can pretty much anything in my book. They aren't legend as much as myth. Pandora fits under the wide umbrella definition of "Mythical" and "imagined"

If anyone has a textbook definition that says Animal Kingdom has to focus solely on Earth, then please let me know, because I don't recall anything of the sort.

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.
Michael D. Eisner, April 22, 1998

FettFan

1.) First you retorted that Avatar was a terrible and an over-rated movie, but now all that's okay if it gets put in Hollywood Studios rather than Animal Kingdom. Not sure what adding another IP to a park that suffers from being a thematic mess is going to solve. The real fit is AK.

2.) My point of bringing that up is that the reception of a film by critics does not deter an attraction if the film itself has content that may create a great attraction.

1. It still is. Unfortunately, Disney seems to enjoy terrible ideas (American Idol Experience, Eric Idle's Imagination, Stitch's Great Escape). So, I moved to the second point of contention.
Besides, at least at DHS, Avatar could be morphed into something good. For instance the Mel Brooks dark ride "Hotel Mel" (complete with Frankenstein's monster using the Mummy as toilet paper) wound up evolving into the Tower of Terror.

2. Point duly noted.

doctornick

Agree mostly with you (my wife and I can easily spend a full day @ DAK as-is). Another E-ticket to take the weight off of EE would be huge for the park.

I can easily spend a full day there as well. It's a great place to just walk around and observe the scenery. That said, there are plans to extend the hours into the evening so there needs to be more to do. And a lot of guests aren't as interested in DAK because it is heavy on the animal trails and shows; there is a demand for more rides.

Another E-ticket is certainly needed and hopefully we'll get one with the Avatar expansion. But the park also needs a bunch of small C-ticket rides to fill out the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom