Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlinTheGoat

And I've still yet to hear of anyone in either my circle or that of family and friends who have seen it that haven't at least liked it.

Very odd.
I finally saw it myself and didn't like it that much. Didn't hate it as much as critics have said, but also didn't quite like it either. I guess it was meh to ok if I had to pin down a simple opinion. And I went in with incredibly low expectations too, which likely helped elevate it considerably higher than I normally would have expected had I instead gone in with high expectations. Probably a 5 or 6 out of 10. Had some entertaining parts in places, but a whole lot of plodding filler too. Best part of the movie was the action scene at the end with the train (great use of that song too). Villain(s) were boring.

Tonto did have some funny parts, but all throughout the movie I couldn't rid the thought that he just felt like a calmer and quieter version of Jack Sparrow rather than the character he was portraying. I didn't for one moment feel that his casting worked (even under the heavy makeup), it just felt like Jack Sparrow dressing up as an Indian for a disguise and making fun of the situation he was in... Sadly the actual Lone Ranger character came across as more of a sidekick to Depp's Tonto as well (no surprise as i'm sure they were eager to milk Depp's popularity and i'm sure massive paycheck).

I came away slightly entertained, what was good that I mentioned above was good and I enjoyed watching those parts. I found it better than Man of Steel at least (though I almost hated that movie), and I guess more than Oz as well (which I also thought was a huge disappointment). But there's a lot of useless filler to sit through that I think hindered the experience to a large extent.

I will say I don't think it deserved to bomb as tremendously as it did money-wise. I can at least see why someone would actually enjoy this movie. Infinitely worse movies have come out and made a killing that they definitely didn't deserve (the Twilight and Transformers movies come to mind), and that certainly just ain't fair.

I still like you though lol! :p

John

I'm not a CM so I don't know for sure, but if the front line CMs all had this info it would be leaked by now. There would be no waiting for TEA reports or debate on attendance. There are way too many CMs for the info not to get out. I am sure management has that info but its a much smaller group so much more of a chance of getting caught if you leak the info.

Any current or former WDW CMs out there? Do you have access to daily attendance numbers?

My mother was a CM and one of her many jobs was working at the All Star resorts. She was always aware of the occupancy rate for the hotels. She was low-mid level management. She would get occupancy rates such as 75%...80% ect. Sure these are not exact numbers for the parks but I would think there would be reasons to give mid level managers projective attendance figures so they could schedule staff. I don't think your everyday front line CM knows the numbers but I don't think its as secretive as some think. There is to much infrastructure that depends on numbers. What benefit would it be if only a few would know?

coolbeans14

So when it finally comes out over here on August 9th, Lone Ranger is actually worth a watch? Can I ask how long does it feel, because I haven't heard that mentioned yet by anyone?

Animaniac93-98

Tree sizes and building colours are one thing, but PL Travers and Walt in New Fantasyland? That's pushing it. Also, the turnstiles did not look like that, but I doubt they have the budget to CGI eveything. ;)

Hanks Walt is still Hanks. Sounds like him, nose is wrong, too much weight and not aged enough. Not sure if it's the Oscar bait their looking for.

Still looking forward to it though. If nothing else it will bring much discussion to the topic of the plot.

SirLink

And I've still yet to hear of anyone in either my circle or that of family and friends who have seen it that haven't at least liked it.

Very odd.

The last 30 minutes or so are good. I was hoping for more action like Worlds End seen as it had the same run time, personally, I thought there weren't enough action sequences for my tastes. I wanted more super natural elements and less run of the mill Cowboys.

asianway

How about miserable lost souls who don't fit into society and can't compete in the real world and move yo O-Town and live in the parks?

And the individuals who start businesses and blogs and podcasts based on whoring off of Disney?

I mean, seriously, how much can one really squeeze out of said business:
Lou Cadillac - hi
Lp.com - mid
Mommy Blogger - lo

I just want to wrap my arms around the real dollars, cuz if it can beat real work, Im in.

raymusiccity

Very odd.
Somehow, the critics are like the howling dogs of Africa . Once they sense blood in the water, it's all over for whatever sacrificial lamb is before them. Even Pinnochio and Fantasia were panned by the experts when they were first released.

aladdin2007

So when it finally comes out over here on August 9th, Lone Ranger is actually worth a watch? Can I ask how long does it feel, because I haven't heard that mentioned yet by anyone?

Its 2 1/2 hours, but it really didnt feel that long to me, it kept moving and we never got bored, and it was a great fun ride with a big grand finale. Never heard so much ridiculous squabble about a movie from critics. The general public reviews seem very opposite thankfully. You should def go see it for yourself. Everyone needs to stop thinking about captain jack and comparing him to that for one thing, everything johnny depp is in seems to get that comparison now. But in terms of lone ranger, tonto does seem like a brother or cousin to captain jack lol so I get it.

RSoxNo1

How much money are we talking about for Bruckheimer and Depp in Pirates 5 and 6? Is it the difference between $50 and $100 million collectively between the two? Is it more? Is it less? What did Lone Ranger need to make for the paydays for Pirates 5 and 6 to still make sense?

bubbles1812

The last 30 minutes or so are good. I was hoping for more action like Worlds End seen as it had the same run time, personally, I thought there weren't enough action sequences for my tastes. I wanted more super natural elements and less run of the mill Cowboys.
Ironically, I believe the second (or was it the first?) iteration of the scrip did have a lot more supernatural elements. But Disney balked at the price tag and so a decent amount of sequences (and werewolves) went... And yet the thing still cost $225 million to make. Now who says Disney can't mismanage money with the best of them? ;)

SirLink

Ironically, I believe the second (or was it the first?) iteration of the scrip did have a lot more supernatural elements. But Disney balked at the price tag and so a decent amount of sequences (and werewolves) went... And yet the thing still cost $225 million to make. Now who says Disney can't mismanage money with the best of them? ;)

Oh yep known about the Werewolves (+ a better explanation of the Spirit Walker as well as what would of been) for a long time from a friend ... they basically traded the expense of CGI for the cost of a brand new train ... oh well.

StarWarsGirl

Because what this world needs is another movie with werewolves...

71jason

Everyone needs to stop thinking about captain jack and comparing him to that for one thing, everything johnny depp is in seems to get that comparison now. But in terms of lone ranger, tonto does seem like a brother or cousin to captain jack lol so I get it.

A character in odd make-up and a strange hat with a weird vocal cadence, initially introduced as an outlaw but soon revealed to be a mentor with a heart of gold. Motivated throughout the film by revenge, even carries a token to remind him of his quest (tho we don't learn what it is until the third act). May be crazy, or that may just be an act to cover up the fact he's a genius thinking 5 steps ahead of everyone else, because his convoluted plans always end up working.

Yeah, no comparison whatsoever. :confused:

(And again, I really liked the movie!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Thursday Musings: Telling cops they are fighting 'wars' everyday is a very scary thing for our society. ... Speaking of deep thoughts as they apply to the theme park business, the economy is NOT back to normal. Yes, the evil biased media may tell you so, but they are basing the health of it on Wall Street and how top banks and corporations are doing -- NOT AVERAGE PEOPLE -- the ones who visit O-Town theme parks. ... When water parks are coming close to outdrawing theme parks it isn't just the weather that is hot. ... I just want to be very clear on this point because many of our discussions are bleeding into each other. Imagination is being shut down to redo the entire pavilion, not simply to save on money. I also want to be clear that I've been told Figment will be a part of what replaces the fetid pile of excrement that is there now. No, no word on Dreamfinder. ... Originally, Cars was going to be the focus of the Studios Makeover, but very late in the game it became one of Star (Wars) instead. Monsters don't fit in at all. ... EPCOT will also be getting the new Soarin film in about three years and MK will debut its Wishes replacement and WDW will crow that it is putting money into all its FL parks. That is true, but with the needs so great it only will be a good start. ... Lone Ranger is still worlds better than Man of Steel. ...

tissandtully

Spirited Thursday Musings: Telling cops they are fighting 'wars' everyday is a very scary thing for our society. ... Speaking of deep thoughts as they apply to the theme park business, the economy is NOT back to normal. Yes, the evil biased media may tell you so, but they are basing the health of it on Wall Street and how top banks and corporations are doing -- NOT AVERAGE PEOPLE -- the ones who visit O-Town theme parks. ... When water parks are coming close to outdrawing theme parks it isn't just the weather that is hot. ... I just want to be very clear on this point because many of our discussions are bleeding into each other. Imagination is being shut down to redo the entire pavilion, not simply to save on money. I also want to be clear that I've been told Figment will be a part of what replaces the fetid pile of excrement that is there now. No, no word on Dreamfinder. ... Originally, Cars was going to be the focus of the Studios Makeover, but very late in the game it became one of Star (Wars) instead. Monsters don't fit in at all. ... EPCOT will also be getting the new Soarin film in about three years and MK will debut its Wishes replacement and WDW will crow that it is putting money into all its FL parks. That is true, but with the needs so great it only will be a good start. ... Lone Ranger is still worlds better than Man of Steel. ...
Can't agree more with your first point. Not to mention the war they are fighting is the wasteful and oppressive drug war.

Also, Theme Park attendance is never a good indication of economic growth as its mostly foreign travelers with great economies.

ParentsOf4

When water parks are coming close to outdrawing theme parks it isn't just the weather that is hot. ... I just want to be very clear on this point because many of our discussions are bleeding into each other.
Well, the waterparks were very crowded this weekend. The Blizzard Beach parking lot looked more crowded than the DAK lot.;)

Of course, the WDW water parks still provide essentially the same quality product they did when they first opened. I wish I could say the same for the theme parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom