Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I watched Hunchback literally this morning on Netflix... an absolutely beautiful film.

Yep. One that was made under Eisner and never would be under Iger.

BTW, stayed at Disney's Vero Beach Resort a few weeks after Hunchback opened and guess who was staying in one of the cottages? Esmerelda herself ... all these years I've wondered is Demi a DVCer?

the.dreamfinder

Disney, this is what happens when you didn't approve the Ward Kimball biography. The power of social media. https://twitter.com/amid
Had the misfortune of seeing Disney's @LoneRanger today. What a depraved, vile piece of sh-t. Bob Iger is out of his f---ing mind.
Unbelievable to see the Disney castle followed by 2.5 sh-tty hours of gore, cannibalism, disembowelment, gratuitous violence & prostitution.
Only good part of @LoneRanger was all the audience members who walked out. Moviegoers aren't as stupid as @Disney believes them to be.
For me, it's not about the talent involved—it's the insanity that this somehow reflects the Disney brand.
Iger's misstep is same as Eisner's—emphasizing brand management (Lucasfilm, Marvel) over content creation.
Star Wars & Marvel superheroes conflict with Disney's own brand integrity—same thing happened with Miramax.

While over it's certainly over the top, I'd love to see that anger channeled into an articulate, scathing column on Iger.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So LR is only gonna make 50 million this extended holiday weekend. So it looks like it might barely get to 110-120 million in North America. That is a huge disappointment. Even if it does well in the rest of the world. That means both of Disney's big tentpoles this year, LR and OZ, will have under performed. So it seems like in The Weatherman's quest for brands the ones he has acquired are doing well but Disney's homegrown stuff is having issues. They better hope they have a good script for Pirates 5 cause I am wondering if the public is getting tired of Depp in crap. He can be great when he has a good script.

Depp has been gold for Disney. One film that underperforms isn't going to change a thing. Disney will just say that people weren't ready for a western that wasn't deep and R-rated and that Captain Jack's results speak for themselves.

They should be crowing about Oz. A film that makes what it did should be considered a blockbuster hit. Again, studio economics are totally out of whack and Disney is the worst offender in the business. All its films are either boom (BIG, BIG, BIG BOOM) or BUST. Can't be in between when a film starts out in a $150-275 million hole before any marketing is even done. Sure, Iron Man 3 was a mega-hit ... but when did Disney actually start making money? When it went over $700 million? $800 million? Crazy (expletive deleted).

Lee

Adventurer
Disney, this is what happens when you didn't approve the Ward Kimball biography. The power of social media. https://twitter.com/amid

While over it's certainly over the top, I'd love to see that anger channeled into an articulate, scathing column on Iger.
Seriously?
The first three are hyperbole to the point of being laughable.

Who wrote that crap? Someone with a BS agenda that is contributing to pointless attack on a very entertaining movie.

Nonsense. It actually kinda es me off a bit...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I completely agree. I really appreciate how grown-up Hunchback is. The gargoyles and slapstack seem very much like they belong in a different movie... like they were added because Disney was afraid that Frollo singing about his unholy for a gypsy woman would tank the movie if there weren't some "family friendly" elements in there. But you don't need fart jokes to make a movie family friendly... I think they should have tried harder to make the movie lighter without having Jason Alexander joke about, "Pour the wine and cut the cheese!" (it's very jarring to then hear a beautiful song like "God Save the Outcasts" in the same movie).

I'd rather have the dumb sidekicks singing showtunes that are entertaining then talking dogs in a movie about infertility, love and loss. ... I may be biased but I LOVE Hunchback and I think I wore out the cassette tape (hey, remember those?) of the soundtrack back in 96.

Mulan is another great -- and underrated -- '90s WDAS movie. Alhough none of the movies that followed The Lion King achieved the same box office success, they were all very good films in their own right, each with its unique charms. (Although I didn't care for the character designs of Hercules, I still find its songs incredibly catchy. And in what other movie are you going to hear Charlton Heston say, "You go, girl?")

I loved both films. both were also musically memorable ... @Lee does great versions of Zero to Hero and Be a Man.

Magenta Panther

Star Wars & Marvel superheroes conflict with Disney's own brand integrity—same thing happened with Miramax.

I'd add the Muppets to that list. I don't care what people say about both brands being family-friendly. The puppets' character designs, the humor, the vibe, does not fit in well with Disney. In fact, none of the already-developed-by-others kind of stuff Eisner and Iger bought fits in well with Disney. I don't know who this Amidi guy is, but he's spot on as far as he goes.

the.dreamfinder

I'd add the Muppets to that list. I don't care what people say about both brands being family-friendly. The puppets' character designs, the humor, the vibe, does not fit in well with Disney. In fact, none of the already-developed-by-others kind of stuff Eisner and Iger bought fits in well with Disney. I don't know who this Amidi guy is, but he's spot on as far as he goes.
In defense of Miramax, it was distanced from Disney. They also helped bring some great films to American audiences.

PhotoDave219

Why don't you do something about the REAL violence in our society instead of whining about entertainment (remember any of the mass shootings of the past year?) ... Anyone who doesn't believe that flying is safer than ever, should loou at all those folks who crashed in SF today and will live to tell the tale.

Two thoughts:

1 - Chicago is more violent than ever.

2 - the SF crash was more a hard landing where the plane hit hard and short of the runway.... def pilot error. Amazing that only 2 people died.

stevehousse

I am surpised Lone Ranger got such terrible reviews. I work at a movie theater and we had no walk outs and everyone said it was good.

Now westerns aren't my thing so the movie ha no appeal to me personally but I don't get all the hate for it?

lazyboy97o

What I hate is people (and I have a few friends who sadly fit this category, but no @Lee isn't one) who think the restaurant is their own personal kitchen. They want to remake the menu ... yes, they'll have the chicken breast special, but no marsala sauce and shrooms could I get BBQ sauce? And the risotto ... can I get the mashed taters from the steak instead and the veggies are they steamed fresh or frozen? if frozen, can I get cole slaw? And can you bring me both Thousand Island and Ranch because I can't decide. And can I have a half Coke, half Diet with no ice?

Oh, and it's worse when you're at a McD's type place with them and you just get your order in first, so it isn't spat on (which should NEVER happen, but you get what you pay for).

Dietary needs (within reason -- again, even if your kid has some weird disease that only 678 people in the state of Arizona have ever been diagnosed with, the restaurant isn't your personal kitchen) are one thing, dropping an item or asking for a swap is easy ... but people really are crazy. I've watched people order and I see this isn't a problem limited to selected Spirited friends.
Due to the nature of where I'm at this is rather frequent but not unexpected or out of line. What ticks me off is the people who then give me crap about obliging their request. Just the other day I was taking such an order over the phone when the lady started barking at me because I could not immediately produce a total price as entering such an order was going to require some creativity.

My other big gripe is people ordering something when they have no clue what it is, don't bother asking (not that anything is unusual on our menu) and then want a refund. Yes, cheddar cheese is a yellow cheese.

And a tip for any of our young members who may be seeking employment, do not show up to any business during their peak hours looking for a job (ie. lunch or dinner at a food service establishment). All you do is mark yourself as an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom