My magic+ testing report

disney206313

Original Poster
Hi all,
My family was selected for the testing this week of mymagic+ including magic bands and fast pass+. This testing was only for guests staying at the contemporary or animal kingdom lodge so it is a very select few guests at the parks. So far our experience has been mostly very good. First of all, lets get this out of the way: the bands ARE comfortable to wear. I have been wearing my band all day for three straight days, and I barely notice it. The impact is virtually the same as a live strong band. Fast pass+ has also been very positive. The bummer is its a maximum of three fast passes a day. This is our main complaint with the system as of now because before we were able to rack up 5+ fast passes a day sometimes. However, it makes it so much simpler to already have all your fast passes for the day when you arrive, so you don't have to run all over the park during the day. Having a band that controls your room key, snack/meal purchasing and fastpasses is VERY convienant. Also changing a fast pass on your smart phone while at the park is a great feature. For all those who have been hating something they have never even tried for some reason or another need to at least try this before hating it, because thus far we have had an excellent experience.

Sneezy62

I've been reading reports elsewhere that testers were issued KTTW cards and can use these to access the old FP system in addition to the FP+ magicband system. Is this not true? Also the person reporting that said they had changed a HM FP+ to a Splash FP+ after already riding Splash with an FP+ thereby circumventing the one FP+ per attraction per day rule. Thanks for checking in ...Have a great time!

WDWLover#1

Sounds like it's working as Disney intended it to. Good to hear that you can't feel it on your arm but I would have several panic attacks if I thought that it fell off LOL. Can't wait to try this.

bubbles1812

Hi all,
My family was selected for the testing this week of mymagic+ including magic bands and fast pass+. This testing was only for guests staying at the contemporary or animal kingdom lodge so it is a very select few guests at the parks. So far our experience has been mostly very good. First of all, lets get this out of the way: the bands ARE comfortable to wear. I have been wearing my band all day for three straight days, and I barely notice it. The impact is virtually the same as a live strong band. Fast pass+ has also been very positive. The bummer is its a maximum of three fast passes a day. This is our main complaint with the system as of now because before we were able to rack up 5+ fast passes a day sometimes. However, it makes it so much simpler to already have all your fast passes for the day when you arrive, so you don't have to run all over the park during the day. Having a band that controls your room key, snack/meal purchasing and fastpasses is VERY convienant. Also changing a fast pass on your smart phone while at the park is a great feature. For all those who have been hating something they have never even tried for some reason or another need to at least try this before hating it, because thus far we have had an excellent experience.
You said changing a fast pass on your smart phone works well... Did you actually try doing this or do you think it's just a great feature offered? Just curious as the system has been buggy at best and a disaster at the worst. If it worked for you, that is great! Just worried when they up this to thousands upon thousands of people rather than just a few hundred or so

Only 3 FP a day does royally suck. I average at least 7. Guess we will see if those numbers change at all.

bubbles1812

I've been reading reports elsewhere that testers were issued KTTW cards and can use these to access the old FP system in addition to the FP+ magicband system. Is this not true? Also the person reporting that said they had changed a HM FP+ to a Splash FP+ after already riding Splash with an FP+ thereby circumventing the one FP+ per attraction per day rule. Thanks for checking in ...Have a great time!
Ooooh. I hope one can do this... I don't need a HM FP+. If there is a way to get two a day for one ride, I'm taking it.

TomorrowlandKD

Yeah it's not ideal, but if you get to the park early in the morning and have your fast passes scheduled in the afternoon even at a different park it works fine.

How is that a strategy? You're still locked into 3 past passes. I'm confused.

So if I had a park hopper, I could schedule 3 fast passes at MK, then schedule another 3 at DHS for the same day?

djlaosc

How is that a strategy? You're still locked into 3 past passes. I'm confused.

So if I had a park hopper, I could schedule 3 fast passes at MK, then schedule another 3 at DHS for the same day?

You reserve your Fastpasses for the evening in a park. You get to another park for opening, allowing you to do the major rides there, and then you hop over to the park that you have the Fastpasses for so you can get at least one major ride there as well.

ParentsOf4

You reserve your Fastpasses for the evening in a park. You get to another park for opening, allowing you to do the major rides there, and then you hop over to the park that you have the Fastpasses for so you can get at least one major ride there as well.
Despite the best laid plans, many guests still don't make it the theme parks for opening. With FP+, it could be even more so.

Let's say I have a FP+ for Soarin' at 11 AM to noon (plus two more later). Why rush to Epcot? It is a vacation after all. Why not simply sleep in for a bit, especially if I stayed out late the night before.

One reason so many rush to the parks in the morning is to grab FP. With FP+, I'm hoping they don't give out "day of" FP+ experiences. It provides less incentive to rush to the parks in the morning. There still will be plenty there for opening but if there are no "day of" FP being distributed, maybe it will be a bit less hectic.

PUSH

I wonder how this will work when it's open to everyone. I'm especially skeptical about the 180 days in advance. Sometimes we don't plan/book our trip until 100 days in advance.

I'm hoping there are more details that we don't know about yet, because I'm kind of worried about my laid back approach to the World.

Can't do anything about it, though, and thanks for the review!

djlaosc

Despite the best laid plans, many guests still don't make it the theme parks for opening. With FP+, it could be even more so.

Let's say I have a FP+ for Soarin' at 11 AM to noon (plus two more later). Why rush to Epcot? It is a vacation after all. Why not simply sleep in for a bit, especially if I stayed out late the night before.

One reason so many rush to the parks in the morning is to grab FP. With FP+, I'm hoping they don't give out "day of" FP+ experiences. It provides less incentive to rush to the parks in the morning. There still will be plenty there for opening but if there are no "day of" FP being distributed, maybe it will be a bit less hectic.

I'm now wondering whether, instead of planning which park that people want to go to on a certain day, they are now going to have to plan which two parks that they want to go to on a certain day in order to be able to get to do what they used to be able to do.

And all that travelling between two parks each day isn't going to be earning Disney any more $$$.

PUSH

The only reason I grab a FP in the morning is because I'm there. I go at rope drop so I can beat the insane stand by lines (especially since I'm only available to go over peak seasons). I hope you're right, but I'm not sold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom