Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
UPDATE: From what I hear from some friends, in light of all the media exposing GAC card abuse, Disney is forming more committees consisting of operation leaders to discuss the impacts felt in their areas and possible ideas to change the long standing GAC card service and policies. Changes may start to take affect as soon as July 2013. No word on what changes are in store.
Changes are coming august 1 training is in July.

The reason was due to the abuse. it was coming before all the exposure.
Is the change to usage rules or distribution rules?

Animaniac93-98

Cedar Fairis getting some press because they have started enforcing their 'return time' instead of immediate access for disabled folks.

https://www.knotts.com/plan-a-visit/guests-with-disabilities
http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news...sts/-/13602148/20564294/-/mkpfal/-/index.html

Let's hope it sticks and Disney follows...

The second article states that the policy has "irritated" some parents. Knowing Disney, I could see them caving in pretty quickly if more than enough loud mouths complained about the lack of instant access.

Goofyernmost

The second article states that the policy has "irritated" some parents. Knowing Disney, I could see them caving in pretty quickly if more than enough loud mouths complained about the lack of instant access.
Well, you got irritated disabled or irritated abled people depending on what direction you take. So I don't guess it doesn't matter much which way they go...they're going to get crap for it anyway.

Goofyernmost

Obesity has now been officially classified as a chronic disease: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162...but-risk-for-chronic-illnesses-was-no-secret/

Using an ECV and getting a GAC because you're overweight is perfectly legitimate now.
Always was legitimate to get an ECV...just because society thinks that fat people are evil and deserve to be punished doesn't automatically make it a crime to use an ECV. In fact one doesn't have to be anything to use an ECV. Now the gray area comes in when they use a GAC card for the purpose of getting front of the line access if they don't really need it. In fact if you consider the number of people that request GAC cards and actually have absolutely no actual physical problems...they have a very legitimate reason to have one.

rct247

I think they need make sure that all ECVs (Disney or third party) have a lowered limit on how fast they can travel. If they all traveled at a semi-slow walking pace with no option to speed up, I think many will find them inconvenient and would be safer in a crowded environment.

As far as obesity classified as a disease, the correct GAC card stamp would be "Standard Wheelchair Entrance" as they wouldn't need to skip the line, they may just suffer from standing long periods. A simple wheelchair would solve that issue.

Goofyernmost

I think they need make sure that all ECVs (Disney or third party) have a lowered limit on how fast they can travel. If they all traveled at a semi-slow walking pace with no option to speed up, I think many will find them inconvenient and would be safer in a crowded environment.

As far as obesity classified as a disease, the correct GAC card stamp would be "Standard Wheelchair Entrance" as they wouldn't need to skip the line, they may just suffer from standing long periods. A simple wheelchair would solve that issue.
You seem to forget that doing it that way just punished the truly disabled person to discourage the abled from abusing the system. Why is it necessary just to catch or "foul up" a few soulless jerks. That is what makes the system almost impossible to police. It's hard to do something, based on the current laws, that would only have an impact on the guilty. It would also do considerable harm to the innocent.:(

Just as a side note...people that are obviously in need of mobility devices such as wheelchairs or scooters, don't really need a GAC card. It's mostly for those with unrecognizable issues.

Tom Morrow

Why is it necessary just to catch or "foul up" a few soulless jerks.
Because the abuse isn't just a "few soulless jerks", as stated ad nauseam in this thread and elsewhere, the number of people abusing this is so high that it is throwing a wrench in the way the lines are supposed to operate.

That is what makes the system almost impossible to police. It's hard to do something, based on the current laws, that would only have an impact on the guilty. It would also do considerable harm to the innocent.:(
And I don't know why you and others keep falling back on this argument. You wouldn't HAVE to do ANY POLICING if they switched to a system that was FAIR for EVERYONE, as in along the lines of what almost EVERY OTHER PARK DOES, rather than just handing out and end-all, be all "skip the line" pass. If they continue to do NOTHING, then the problem will only grow even more and continue to do harm for EVERYONE, including those who truly do need legitimate assistance.

Goofyernmost

Because the abuse isn't just a "few soulless jerks", as stated ad nauseam in this thread and elsewhere, the number of people abusing this is so high that it is throwing a wrench in the way the lines are supposed to operate.

And I don't know why you and others keep falling back on this argument. You wouldn't HAVE to do ANY POLICING if they switched to a system that was FAIR for EVERYONE, as in along the lines of what almost EVERY OTHER PARK DOES, rather than just handing out and end-all, be all "skip the line" pass. If they continue to do NOTHING, then the problem will only grow even more and continue to do harm for EVERYONE, including those who truly do need legitimate assistance.
I truly wish we had some hard numbers on the people that use it and don't need it. There is absolutely no way, based on today's laws, that we can verify any of it. You may be right, but, it is just as much of a guess as the other way. There might be more usage because those with legitimate needs are finding out it is available and are going to the parks more. I don't know if that is true or just that there are massive amounts of abusers out there. Sure we hear stories, and I don't doubt that they are true, in fact, I'm sure that they are true, but we don't really hear that many considering the hundreds of thousands that are in the parks every week. Again, I am not saying that this problem isn't as big as everyone is saying it is, I'm just skeptical because there is really no reliable way to know. That is what makes controlling the situation very difficult. I also refuse to blame it all on Disney. Having had to deal with ADA in the past, I know that if there is one thing about ADA it is that consequences of the laws for those trying to administer them are not a consideration. Safety isn't even a consideration in many instances. Their safety and especially the safety of others are not a consideration. The only thing that is considered is allow access at all costs, no excuses. That makes it difficult to rule with any form of iron hand.

Now, that said, I do agree that Disney could/should be able to come up with a different way to deal with it. That would involve the use of more CM's to do the necessary activity to make that change. In this case, for the good of those that most need the help, that is something where they need to buck up and do whatever is necessary. I don't see any problem with people waiting a certain amount of time to get to the ride (just like everyone else) and control how many times that a GAC card can be used on the same attraction. That is inherently not equal to everyone else. Once yes, twice no way. Regular guests have to either get a FP or get in Standby for that privilege. All those and more possible things that can be done, would involve more people to administer, but, I think it is getting to the point where Disney is going to have to do something.

revskabadger

I have a neurological condition called transverse myelitis and I have been afflicted with this condition since 6 months of age. I have a pretty severe limp with my right leg, suffer joint pain, have endurance issues with my mobility, bathroom control issues, so on and so forth...now I haven't been able to visit any of the parks in some years so all of this completely baffles me personally. I'm kinda stubborn about my situation and typically cant stand being given 'special treatment'. But even during my past visits, I never had issues with Guest Relations or employees. I can get around in short bursts on my own just fine, but for something like a day in the park I would bring my cane and ask for wheelchair. I would wheel myself around the park, roll up to the entrance of the line queue and politely ask the cast member where I may park the chair so that it was out of the way and if they could keep an eye on it, park the chair, grab my cane, and happily hobble my butt back into the regular line. But this is my temperament and capability. The only times I ever skipped were when cast members were being REALLY persistent with their good intentions and it was simply easier to accept the offer so that they would shut up and let me go about my day!

Disneycoog

I truly wish we had some hard numbers on the people that use it and don't need it. There is absolutely no way, based on today's laws, that we can verify any of it. You may be right, but, it is just as much of a guess as the other way. There might be more usage because those with legitimate needs are finding out it is available and are going to the parks more. I don't know if that is true or just that there are massive amounts of abusers out there. Sure we hear stories, and I don't doubt that they are true, in fact, I'm sure that they are true, but we don't really hear that many considering the hundreds of thousands that are in the parks every week. Again, I am not saying that this problem isn't as big as everyone is saying it is, I'm just skeptical because there is really no reliable way to know. That is what makes controlling the situation very difficult. I also refuse to blame it all on Disney. Having had to deal with ADA in the past, I know that if there is one thing about ADA it is that consequences of the laws for those trying to administer them are not a consideration. Safety isn't even a consideration in many instances. Their safety and especially the safety of others are not a consideration. The only thing that is considered is allow access at all costs, no excuses. That makes it difficult to rule with any form of iron hand.

Now, that said, I do agree that Disney could/should be able to come up with a different way to deal with it. That would involve the use of more CM's to do the necessary activity to make that change. In this case, for the good of those that most need the help, that is something where they need to buck up and do whatever is necessary. I don't see any problem with people waiting a certain amount of time to get to the ride (just like everyone else) and control how many times that a GAC card can be used on the same attraction. That is inherently not equal to everyone else. Once yes, twice no way. Regular guests have to either get a FP or get in Standby for that privilege. All those and more possible things that can be done, would involve more people to administer, but, I think it is getting to the point where Disney is going to have to do something.

You are right it would be great if there were some hard and some of the people on here that are saying it is abused cannot provide those numbers!!!! They only make assumptions and you no what assumptions are???? This thread can keep getting bumped by us for the next ten years, but there will still be no numbers to justify their argument. Just bitter people that like to argue.

Goofyernmost

Because our culture has changed. It is no longer a few soulless jerks. It is a lot.
I'm sorry but I'm a bit jaded, I know. There are a lot of good people out there and they are ineffective because the laws are on the side of the soulless jerks. Culture has indeed changed in that 20 years ago no one would have considered abusing a system designed for a disabled person. Of course, at that time, there also were no laws in place that guaranteed access. Still, that much has changed I know, but, I still hold onto the idealism that the vast majority have a strong grasp on what is right and what is wrong. I still think it is only a few, but a few can create a lot of problems.

SoupBone

Always was legitimate to get an ECV...just because society thinks that fat people are evil and deserve to be punished doesn't automatically make it a crime to use an ECV. In fact one doesn't have to be anything to use an ECV. Now the gray area comes in when they use a GAC card for the purpose of getting front of the line access if they don't really need it. In fact if you consider the number of people that request GAC cards and actually have absolutely no actual physical problems...they have a very legitimate reason to have one.

I'm not trying to be ugly, but if they start allowing overweight people to use and access the GAC, the fastpass/alternate lines will make the regular standby line look like the lines at 3am on an extra magic hours night during off season.

Timekeeper

I've decided take a drink from my Disney souvenir "toothpick holder" every time that Tom Morrow uses the phrase "ad nauseam" in a post. Who else would like to join? :)

Goofyernmost

I'm not trying to be ugly, but if they start allowing overweight people to use and access the GAC, the fastpass/alternate lines will make the regular standby line look like the lines at 3am on an extra magic hours night during off season.
Don't want to downplay anybodies power but, overweight people can use and access the GAC whether you like it or not. However, you will notice, based on the overwhelming commentary of how everyone in WDW is overweight, how about some props for the fact that a very few percentage of overweight people do use them.

If I live for another 100 years I will never be able to comprehend why all of you svelte, six packed bodied (yea, right) individuals have such a fixation of how fat other people are. Whatever they are or whatever they did to get that way, is of no concern of anyone else. If you think for a minute that by commenting you will be able to convince all overweight people to run for the gym, it's not going to happen. Y'all are just gonna have to be content with just feeling superior to all the "big" people.

olinecoach61

Bottom line is that Disney has to change their policies after all of bad press they have recently entertained. It is time for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom