Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmongMadPeople

Strange to see all this BoG hate. I was there in January and it was the single greatest meal of our entire trip....I was so enthralled by it that it was the first ADR I made for November. I'm not doubting everyone's opinions and reviews....it's just that my experience doesn't reconcile with them. I hope, when I go in November, I'm not let down.

I'm not following the BOG debate closely, but in general it seems that people don't like lunch there, which I'd agree with. Food was a letdown at lunch, and surprisingly good for dinner.

tracyandalex

@WDW1974 Glad you enjoyed your trip! Have you heard anything about the Wonder getting the Magic treatment? I could not agree with you more about the Toy Story Musical. We saw it for the first time in March and I fell asleep!! There was one time when I had bad service on the Magic, but other than that minor instance it was awesome as usual.

Your service at Jiko was good? We have only eaten there once, on our honeymoon no less and the service was terrible and we have not been back since. We really liked the food, but since we had to actually tap our server on the back to get his attention at one point we don't really have that one on the top of our list anymore. It has been oh my 6 years though so we are willing to give it another shot.

tracyandalex

We enjoyed BOG for lunch. The steak sandwich was quite good, we all enjoyed our food. That was the only thing on the menu that I was really interested in so not so sure how soon we will go back. We would like to try it for dinner, but are a little weary. We did get the cafeteria feel, but only in that one dining room. We ate right next to the Belle & Beast music box and thought the ambiance was nice. I love the pictures on the wall family photo style.

For me the issue with the castles is they are advertised as "2 new castles" but they are more like scenery than actual castles a la Cinderella's for even what I was expecting. Up close Beast's castle definitely does not work.

I know the story they are trying to tell with new Fantasyland, but it just does not work for me. Right now the extended castle walls seem random to me and I don't see how Belle's village flows into Eric's castle. I guess Snow White will fit as in the middle of the forest. I have no idea how Storybook Circus fits into it. I like it as a medevil circus, but I don't see how it fits into the rest of Fantasyland. As separate experiences I like them all, but as a cohesive unit not so much. The old Fantaslyand does need a face-lift so that it matches new Fantasyland.

I love the Tangled area, but as others have said it does not fit in that area and it is a let down that it's only restrooms. DD was so excited to go to Rapunzel's kingdom and then quite sad that there was nothing there but a bathroom. We did tell her, but she didn't believe us poor girl.

alphac2005

What a wonderful attitude. I don't like it so you won't either type! And of all things selling vacations trips through AAA, a known sponsor and supporter of Disney Parks. I do hope she has a back-up job someplace else. I don't see a long future for her at AAA. :rolleyes:

I think you're either reading into this way too much or not reading it properly. She simply was pointing out that the park hoppers were extraordinarily expensive for what you get, that SeaWorld and Universal have very good products today, and you are paying a premium for the Disney brand that isn't worth the cost as it once was. Is any of that untrue? I hardly think so.

AAA has partnerships with nearly every major theme park, hotel chain, etc., so somehow her being truthful with a customer makes her some Disney bashing sort that is in need of a new job? Really? Have you ever been to AAA? The whole idea back before online everything was that in the dark ages that their people (along with travel agents all over) would give honest knowledge and information for their customer. I guess she should have just said, "Well, the Walt Disney Company is a partner of ours and it's quite fair to charge a $30/day premium for parkhopping on a two day ticket." Really? Plus, if the parks are so wonderful, why would someone even have the time to visit another park in one day on a two day ticket? ;)

Buried20KLeague

I usually don't wade through literally dozens of pages when E. F. Hutton - whoops! - I mean @WDW1974 puts up a thread like this just because it's always spiraled out of control by the time I visit the site, and I don't have the patience to catch up. But I wanted to make one comment on the cruise thing:

For the life of me, I don't understand why ANYONE would pay the prices that DCL charges. If the WDW parks and resorts are overpriced, the DCL is that times TWO.

In March, we spent a week on the Oasis of the Seas with Royal Caribbean. We got two rooms (which gave the wife and I some privacy from the kiddies, and let us stay out late too!). One was a balcony, the other was an interior across the hall. It's was a Spring Break cruise, and the two rooms together totaled $5700. That felt high, but it was Spring Break, so I understood. When we were deciding what to do, I called DCL to price it out. Their option was a 5 person room (which would have meant we were stuffed all in one space), at a cost of close to $9,000. That's a difference, for the same cruise with similar ports, and a single, smaller stateroom, of $3,300 or over 30%!!! To get two separate rooms in the same config as I could get on Royal would have been even MORE.

Are you kidding me?

We've been on a number of cruises, DCL included, and our trip on Oasis was FAR AND AWAY the best cruise we have ever been on. From service, to kids clubs, to activities, to the INCREDIBLE food, to shows... Simply amazing. Jaw-dropping, at times. So much so that we booked another while we were on the ship.

I'm sure some of the DCL passengers cruise using DVC, and my guess is our fine Spirit did not pay "full boat" (ha) to take this cruise (does he ever?? ;))... But outside of those kinds of folks, I just can't understand how anyone would pay that much of a premium for - at best - an equal experience if they just did their homework. And you can't use the characters against me in an argument for DCL... The Oasis was a Dreamworks cruise, and there were characters a-plenty. My 4 year old daugter was crazy about the Penguins from Madagascar and anything from How to Train Your Dragon.

As long as the Oasis is on the seas, along with her sister ship the Allure, you won't find the Buried's on a DCL ship.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I am still a couple of pages behind, but I had to comment on this. We were at the world 3 weeks ago for a long weekend with no plans and it was great! Usually I always have dining reservations and we have must see rides. This time I told DH and DD that we've already seen it all so this time we are just going to wander and do what strikes us at the time. We all really enjoyed it; for once we didn't feel like we were rushing around. Yes we did miss some things, but some how we were able to survive (imagine that). the one issue we did have was food. Because we always have reservations we didn't know what QS to eat so we had some not so great meals, but a few really good meals. Either way we were glad to finally try new things.
So to answer your question, if we felt that way sometimes I imagine a large number of average tourist probably don't get it and miss a lot of the experience. I am hoping MM+ will help with that, but idk.

We did exactly this at Christmas and had a great time. We did miss out on a few attractions but hit all the highlights, at at BoG several times for lunch and just enjoyed being there more than riding rides. My son would eat hot dogs from Casey's while we picked up lunch somewhere else, everyone was happy and one of the best vacations in years.

Buried20KLeague

The margin is worse when you offer 'premium' items on a discount flat schedule... which is why we've seen the menus marginalized and flattened.

My comment is derived from information similar to what's in this article:

http://blog.touringplans.com/2011/03/11/signature-dining-is-it-worth-it-on-the-disney-dining-plan/

When eating at a Sig, you as a consumer are "devaluing" what each credit is worth. So in a battle of "who can benefit more from the DDP, me or the Mouse", Sigs are virtually always a losing proposition.

I believe HDD might be an exception. Or the Luau.

ETA: I know there are different measurements of worth when it comes to the DDP, too. To be clear, mine's about the $$$... It's ALWAYS about the $$$. :D

Bolna

The original Fantasyland had not intention of copying 100% what was shown in the movies, so it didn't matter when things didn't match. NFL tries to be like Harry Potter in selling the experience like you are really there, and disapoints in some areas because of this.

I know the story they are trying to tell with new Fantasyland, but it just does not work for me. Right now the extended castle walls seem random to me and I don't see how Belle's village flows into Eric's castle. I guess Snow White will fit as in the middle of the forest. I have no idea how Storybook Circus fits into it. I like it as a medevil circus, but I don't see how it fits into the rest of Fantasyland. As separate experiences I like them all, but as a cohesive unit not so much. The old Fantaslyand does need a face-lift so that it matches new Fantasyland.

I agree so much with the two points the two of you make there! By trying to recreate the world out of the movies they have lost their chance at a cohesive theme and story. There is no natural flow.

I told exactly that a friend of mine, who asked what I thought about New Fantasyland, a few days ago. And since then I have thought about how in other areas there appears to be a break in story as well - like between Splash Mountain (huge tree stump) and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (mountains and mines). But for some reason it works there and think maybe because these areas do have more "open stories" and everyone can still fill out the lacking parts of the story with their own fantasy. Even Splash Mountain which is tied to some very specific IP does not show that so much on the outside. The Song of the South references are mainly in the line and then the ride, the exterior is much more general.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My comment is derived from information similar to what's in this article:

http://blog.touringplans.com/2011/03/11/signature-dining-is-it-worth-it-on-the-disney-dining-plan/

When eating at a Sig, you as a consumer are "devaluing" what each credit is worth. So in a battle of "who can benefit more from the DDP, me or the Mouse", Sigs are virtually always a losing proposition.

You're mixing up 'value' and 'margin'. What is a poor value for you as a DDP customer... is not 'margin'. Margin is the location's revenue minus its cost. By getting lower revenue per guest vs if the person were paying directly... margins are hit for the location.

It's a poor choice of wording to apply 'margin' to your percieved value for your credit.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I greatly disagree that Dueling Dragons, in it's original form" was a bare steel coaster. It had great themeing and solid storytelling. How would you theme the flight paths of 2 flying dragons?

I know how I would do it....I'd try to make the track and supports painted to blend in with the sky background or trees below, so it's an attempt at least to hide the track a bit. I seriously don't know how well it would work, but just an idea.

Buried20KLeague

You're mixing up 'value' and 'margin'. What is a poor value for you as a DDP customer... is not 'margin'. Margin is the location's revenue minus its cost. By getting lower revenue per guest vs if the person were paying directly... margins are hit for the location.

It's a poor choice of wording to apply 'margin' to your percieved value for your credit.

Ok, I get that. Poor wording choice. Although I'm not sure I agree (ETA) the margin is less. How does the location get a lower revenue per guest than if they pay directly? Are you saying each credit is assigned a dollar amount by Disney, and that dollar amount is used at the restaurant for that evening's revenue? If that's the case, I would love to know what they view those credits as worth.

lebeau

I think I've read that you're close to Kings Island, right? Have you been to Cedar Point yet?

I went to Disney for the first time in 1995 after going to Cedar Point every summer, and I remember exiting Space Mountain and saying, "...that was it?" Granted now that I'm older I can definitely appreciate the theming Disney's coasters have, but best coaster? Definitely depends on one's definition of "best."

I have been to Cedar Point, but it's been a long time. Right now, we are season pass holders at KI. Some day when the girls are older, I may expand those passes to diamond level so they will get us into CP too.

Usually when people are talking about "best coasters" they are talking about coastery thrills. On that level, Disney doesn't rank. I prefer Disney style rides to most coasters, but I could never rank any Disney ride on a list of best coasters. They are just different animals.

Calvin Coolidge

Slightly off topic from the current dragon coaster/ AAA talk....

Wanted to post this earlier but couldn't get photobucket to cooperate with my work computer.

Outside of BoG, a kid having a complete and total meltdown because it was a restaraunt and not a ride as he (and apparently, his Dad) thought it was.

I'd hate to stand in that ridiculously long line only to realize it's not a ride. Nobody told them?

One time I was getting in the Dinosaur queue I saw a family say "oh this is just a museum" and leave, dejected.

Buried20KLeague

Quoted for truth. My 7 nights on the Magic were the longest of my life and I felt cheated for the exorbitant cost paid. Much happier with Oasis/Allure at a huge drop in price!

... And maybe this has changed since we did our DCL a number of years ago, but the whole ship was DEAD right after the main show at night. There was very little in the way of later activities or even just available areas playing music and offering drinks. Every evening I was upset that it was 9PM and I felt like I had nothing better to do than scroll through the channels on the TV in the stateroom.

On the flip side... On the Oasis, the wife and I left the party as it was raging two different nights in the Solarium of the ship (an amazing space, btw) at 3AM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom