Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
So StitchKingdom (one of my least favorite people on the planet) has scooped all the lifestylers on what should be announced at the press event for the Monsterous Summer...

Highlights:
- May 24th - 24 hours at MK.
- "Monsterrail" wrap.
- Mike and Sully M&G at DHS.
- New Jokes at MILF.

What do you have against Stitch? I know little about him (think it's a guy) other than he's obsessive over Disney merchandise and was in Japan last week, which I give any Disney fan credit for.

As for the news, they're also going to announce the renewals of the Magic and Wonder and that new winter food and wine ... and tech fest.

That's all big stuff ... I've also told @Lee to interrupt my secret holiday if George Kalogridis comes out of hiding and appears!

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, gotta run but was told Georgie K was at DAK today.

True or false and did he do any press at all? Or simply smile, wave and walk behind a CMs only door?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
AND JUST TO BE CLEAR:

As I revealed here, UNI has major new attractions coming to both parks, the addition of more hotels including at least one deluxe-plus, and a new water park. All the while, the fanbois debate mythical Disney fifth gates. The reality here is that UNI will be/is building a third. Not rumour, but the plan moving ahead right now. With much of what I have cited already moving on the ground. (Note the bolded word there.)

:eek: :D

TP2000

WDW has been resting on its laurels since the late 90s ... pretty much like Detroit thinking the Cadillac Cimarron was going to stem the bleeding to Japan's smaller cars in the early 80s. WDW thinks its small scale new attractions like TSMM and Mermaid can compete with the WOW attractions that UNI and SW are developing.

The Cimarron was supposed to stem the bleeding of the Smart Set in the Suburbs who were increasingly buying BMWs, Mercedes and Audis in the early 80's. Seriously.

It was the other J-Cars for Chevrolet, Pontiac and Buick that were going to stem the bleeding to Japan's smaller cars (before there was a Lexus or Acura), thus GM's public branding of these as "J-Cars" (get it?). Seriously.

Now that your history lesson on early 1980's mistakes from Detroit is done, your point is quite valid. Disney keeps thinking these smaller D Ticket attractions like Mermaid and the Mine Train will move the needle. They don't. Look at Mermaid at DCA, it was nicely received because it replaced a very boring history movie and was slotted into a park that had no animatronic-musical attractions. But it didn't move the attendance needle for DCA much at all after it opened in May, 2011.

2010 DCA Attendance Pre-Mermaid - 6.29 Million
2011 DCA Attendance Post-Mermaid - 6.34 Million

They grew attendance by 55,000 people thanks to Mermaid. I think they'd get more if they brought back the original corn dog recipe with the beef franks instead of the turkey. :cool:

But then they put in Cars Land in 2012, with one of the biggest and best E Ticket family thrill rides in the entire Disney Empire, and DCA attendance skyrockets by millions.

It's quite apparent the executives in Burbank and TDO keep thinking they aren't in the amusment park business and they can get away with vapid marketing campaigns and slimy "Social Media" stunts and more timeshares to grow their business. It doesn't work. Earth To Disney Executives! You are in the amusement park business whether you like it or not, and amusement parks need big exciting new RIDES to grow the business!

My increasing suspicion is that the current senior execs in charge of Disney's amusement parks aren't really proud of the fact they run amusement parks. They're all from other white collar careers; Meg Crofton was from HR, Staggs was from Finance, Colglazier was an Industrial Engineer who also did stints in Finance, etc., etc. None of these people ever worked in a park or seem like they get the "Showman" thing. They seem like the type to feel sheepish about mentioning that they run amusement parks at stylish cocktail parties in Winter Park or West LA, and their heart just isn't in it. In short, they aren't proud that they run amusement parks. And that's a real shame. :mad:

WDW1974

Original Poster
And here's Georgie:

« Back to article
  • animal1510*600.jpg

Walt Disney World President George Kalogridis hangs back and takes some photos.
    Jim Carchidi

WDW1974

Original Poster
Above photo courtesy of my friends at the Orlando Business Journal, who must have been noticing all my posts asking where my pal was.

I have to say the man looks good headed toward the Big 60. He looks better than he did a decade ago ... that's what the Paris and Newport Beach lifestyle (and big Disney paycheck) can do for you.

TP2000

And here's Georgie:
  • animal1510*600.jpg

Walt Disney World President George Kalogridis hangs back and takes some photos.
    Jim Carchidi

He does look good for a 60 year old. And nice that he's keeping up the Anaheim dress code in Orlando, with at least a suit coat on over his dress shirt when out in public. (Don't think I didn't notice the French cuffs and cufflinks, either.) A vastly superior look to that shleppy and sloppy "Camp Shirt" look from WDW park managers that has all the pomp of a WalMart manager responding to override a refund on a case of dog food on Lane 24.

WDW1974

Original Poster
And frankly, its a marketing event - its not a press event.

You know, Dave, I think I wouldn't have such an issue with the way Disney ran these -a-thons if they just stopped using the word 'press' ... just remove it and move on to being honest about them.

BTW, it will be telling to see who has invites to this and who doesn't (too bad I won't be here to keep track ... please give @Lee (my wannabe replacement) help with keeping track in my absence.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nah...I liked it.
I'm a "story" guy in most instances, and the poacher story really worked to me.

It was weak because they removed dead Big Red and watered it down twice more ... but at least it was a cohesive story from the pre-show queue monitors on the dangers of poaching and terrain loss in Africa to the very end. ... The park's mission statement was to respect nature and encourage those type of views (instead of the redneck brats I ran into at DAK Lodge in 2005 and wanted to know if you could hunt the animals they had there -- yes, I am being deadly serious).

Now, all it is is a drive thru a Central Fla swamp disguised as Africa ... the idea of being transported to Harambe in East Africa and on a real safari is gone.

Instead of coming up with a BETTER ending, Disney thought no ending followed by gay zebras were the answers. You gotta admire their way of solving 'problems'.

BTW, did you get like 18 likes for a post with a smiley?!?!? ... People really hate when you actually talk. And worse, only I know what it's like to sit through a dinner or a Super Bowl with you!!! Talk about painful.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I used to go out there when it was Cyprus Gardens, but I didn't go every trip. It was always nice for a restful relaxing day strolling through the Gardens and watching the ski show. Sort of a change of pace. I find it amusing that it has gone from and "old" persons park to a "kids" haven, but I'm glad that it is reopened and doing OK. Just another reason to have a vehicle when in Central Florida. Most people would be surprised to see what they are missing by always focusing on the Mouse only.

Cypress Gardens was considered a MAJOR attraction in Central Florida for decades before Disney and at least one or two after it. ... But then Disney had three parks and multiple water parks and PI and UNI had opened and it was all downhill for a great part of history. I admit that I haven't been out there in so many years, many here were likely not born ... but I am glad to see the gardens and ski show remain as part of Lego's ops.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It was weak because they removed dead Big Red and watered it down twice more ... but at least it was a cohesive story from the pre-show queue monitors on the dangers of poaching and terrain loss in Africa to the very end. ... The park's mission statement was to respect nature and encourage those type of views (instead of the redneck brats I ran into at DAK Lodge in 2005 and wanted to know if you could hunt the animals they had there -- yes, I am being deadly serious).

Now, all it is is a drive thru a Central Fla swamp disguised as Africa ... the idea of being transported to Harambe in East Africa and on a real safari is gone.

Instead of coming up with a BETTER ending, Disney thought no ending followed by gay zebras were the answers. You gotta admire their way of solving 'problems'.

BTW, did you get like 18 likes for a post with a smiley?!?!? ... People really hate when you actually talk. And worse, only I know what it's like to sit through a dinner or a Super Bowl with you!!! Talk about painful.

I'm sorry, but having an overly preachy story about a topic that most people really don't care about (though is an important topic, just not one most care about)...ending with a dead elephant (or even an injured one)...

Really, I go to church to get preached at, not theme parks. Especially since the ride offered nothing but awareness...no real actions an individual could take on the ride to stop real poaching...

It's insulting, preachy, and silly. And should never have been storyboarded. I don't go to Disney to reflect on real world issues, I go to Disney to escape from them.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Cypress Gardens was considered a MAJOR attraction in Central Florida for decades before Disney and at least one or two after it. ... But then Disney had three parks and multiple water parks and PI and UNI had opened and it was all downhill for a great part of history. I admit that I haven't been out there in so many years, many here were likely not born ... but I am glad to see the gardens and ski show remain as part of Lego's ops.

Water ski capital of the world...held great shows!

PhotoDave219

You know, Dave, I think I wouldn't have such an issue with the way Disney ran these -a-thons if they just stopped using the word 'press' ... just remove it and move on to being honest about them.

BTW, it will be telling to see who has invites to this and who doesn't (too bad I won't be here to keep track ... please give @Lee (my wannabe replacement) help with keeping track in my absence.

I'm not attending as none of my clients are interested in what Disney has to market right now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Please assure me you are not coming to Monaco.

Not at present. But my whole family has been and I feel left out, even though they say it is too crowded.

But I doubt you are there ... why not come to WDW sometime and I'll let you buy me drinks. We'll laugh, we'll cry, we'll make fun of the other guy with the same initials.

misterID

Before Lego bought Cypress Gardens, I knew a lady who was hell bent on buying it. Her lawyer begged and pleaded with her not to do it and finally talked her out of it... And ultimately out of the big paycheck she would have got from Lego. :D

What's worse... My family nearly bought the land that UNI sits on today (and the land where the outlet mall sits), but my dad backed out at the last second. Doh!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Before Lego bought Cypress Gardens, I knew a lady who was hell bent on buying it. Her lawyer begged and pleaded with her not to do it and finally talked her out of it... And ultimately out of the big paycheck she would have got from Lego. :D

What's worse... My family nearly bought the land that UNI sits on today (and the land where the outlet mall sits), but my dad backed out at the last second. Doh!

I enjoyed my Busch / Cypress / Boardwalk tickets when I was a teen. Boardwalk and Baseball is long gone, but that was a great park. Far better than ESPN Zone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom