New water-side restaurant 'Spice Road Table' coming to Epcot's Morocco Pavilion?

Alektronic

The walls are on the east (Japan) side of the water-side store. The Mo'rockin stage, waterwheel, garden and boat dock are all to the west (France) of the store.

I think the only thing that seems up in the air is the future of the interior of the store.

EDIT: Here's an aerial marked with the location of the walls.

Morocco_zpsa8399316.jpg

-Rob

The full construction walls are up now. They extend all the way to the Morocco boat dock now. The water wheel is turned off and so is Torch 12. They will level the whole area.

Alektronic

Except that large swaths of the WS dining is run by 3rd parties. That I assume take on a large chunk of the cash outlay involved in any new construction/renovations as part of their deal. Morocco happens to be one such area run by a 3rd party I believe. I don't know the corporate name, but see here -> http://restaurantmarrakesh.com/mar/about_us.asp
If you look at the major restaurant renovations/change in Epcot dining in the last few years, they all seem to be focused on the 3rd party owned/operated venues. New restaurant in Mexico? 3rd party (Palmas Services LLC). Changes to France dining? 3rd party (JBI LLC) Refurb of Yakitori House? 3rd Party (Mitsukoshi USA) If you look at the Disney O/O locations, it's been mostly maybe a small menu change, or the addition of a new beer cart nearby.

Judging from WDWs current perceived lack of care about the overall quality of food, I'm not terribly surprised that DHS lingers. But as you said, people eat dinner outside of DHS. If you spend the time going to another on property restaurant, that is time spent not on a ride or in line, helping them to not need to add capacity, and they get your money anyway. Leaving them minimal reasons to change. The 3 non sig TS locations are usually booked solid, they seem to be content with Brown Derby lingering near the bottom of the sig food chain, and they need a buffet in park for character meals, so H&V won't change much as it still does solid business w/characters.

That's correct, that is why they are building so many new restaurants because Disney is not footing the bill, the Operating Participants (3rd party) are.

culturenthrills

A very valid point...thus why the Morocco Pavillion is my favorite in WS. You can literally be completey surrounded by the atmosphere of that place walking from the front to the back. Absolutely love the ambiance of the place inside and out, day or night.

I guess a lot of today*s Guests are in too much of a hurry now with the pre-planned-everything time crunch to actually spend a few moments *exploring* EPCOT...much less the rest of WDW.

Making the trek from the main walkway to the entrance of Marrakesh is a delight everyone who enjoys full theming should savor at least once.

One of the things I would do when I first moved down here was explore every nook and cranny of the WS pavilions. There is so many neat things. It is one of the few places in WDW that hasn't been completely dumbed down. But I am worried that they are taking awAy more and more spots to watch illuminations from. There are still some parts of WS where you can go sit and totally forget you are in a theme park.

RSoxNo1

Taken from the other thread...
They moved Mo Rockin' to new stage by the Morocco Boat Dock because the old stage is set to be demolished. So they are making preps to start the construction of the new restaurant.
Do we know when Mo Rockin' was relocated? Was there any downtime?

Figments Friend

One of the things I would do when I first moved down here was explore every nook and cranny of the WS pavilions. There is so many neat things. It is one of the few places in WDW that hasn't been completely dumbed down. But I am worried that they are taking awAy more and more spots to watch illuminations from. There are still some parts of WS where you can go sit and totally forget you are in a theme park.

YES ! My list of fave nooks :

- Japanese garden, standing on the tiny foot bridge behind the pagoda.
- Morocco's hidden passageways and shops.
- UK butterfly garden area
- Towards the back of Canada, overlooking the falls and 'mountains'.
- China's elaborate main shop and the grounds to the right of the temple.

Regarding the building of the new restaurant in Morocco....knowing the size of the peice of land that is going to be used to build it makes me think it will be quite large and on par with the waterside QS in Mexico. If that turns out to be the case, i am saddened as it seems it will become a large obstruction that will seriously mess with the beautiful view already there when looking at Morocco from across the lagoon. Part of the appeal of WS is seeing the different 'countries' from across the water.

It will need to be majorly themed to blend in...and if it is, maybe it will simply 'dissapear' and not be of concern in the end. We shall see...

Figments Friend

the only problem i have with this, is that they are taking away to make a new restaurant, while the odyssey building sits empty.
-
Indeed.

Why is that the case, i wonder....?
This has probably be discussed ages ago....but my memory needs to be jogged.

Last time i was inside the Odyssey was in 2007. I marveled at how well preserved it was, as far as Retro EPCOT Center preservation goes. Looked to still have the original brown/orange/yellow pain schemes and even the music was oh-so-70s playing over the PA..!

Awesomeness.
I will admit...the EPCOT geek in me was geeking out inside.

If they ever did re-open it to the public, i would like to hope they would keep the retro ambiance....exspecially since 'retro' is so 'in' now...but i know i am just kidding myself hoping for something like that.

Probably best to keep it closed....and keep it a time capsule.

PoTCGuy

I guess this is why our Dessert Party in June got moved to UK lochside. My wedding planner told me there was going to be construction going on. At the time I figured it was just a refurb or something.

Does kinda suck because we're losing alot of the places to watch illuminations. What can you do though. Guess they figured if they send car magents to AP holders they might overlook it. lol
Car magnets? What? How did I miss this? Catching up on oooold news I know, but I didn't hear anything about a magnet.

articos

I believe that the Morocco pavilion is under a direct contract with the Moroccan government. I remember that King Hassan II’s architect was the one who worked with WDI to create the pavilion.
Yup. The Kingdom set up an operating corporation to oversee the pavilion, and it still is under the auspices of the Kingdom of Morocco. They actually have a separate website for the pavilion at http://www.moroccopavilion.com/, but it doesn't generally work that well.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yup. The Kingdom set up an operating corporation to oversee the pavilion, and it still is under the auspices of the Kingdom of Morocco. They actually have a separate website for the pavilion at http://www.moroccopavilion.com/, but it doesn't generally work that well.
You're correct about it not working very well. I couldn't get ANY of the drop down menus to cooperate.

Maybe it requires a Moroccan browser. Can you buy one at Epcot?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom