Rumor- Magicbands will be required for some character meet n greets

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Rumor-

Magicbands are rumored to be required for some character meet n greets. This will likely be for VIP locations.

From what I understand, if you want to meet Donald and Daisy at their new location at DAK you'll need one.

Mickey at C-spot too right? I don't know if its required there but we're hearing it will somehow enhance the experience.

thepirateking

The most likely reason for requiring a band is so they can read your name off your associated account so that the Next Gen characters can greet you by name. The experience would be more magical if Mickey knew your name without being told. He might even mention where you are from - "Thanks for coming all the way down from New York to see me!". He could also mention where you are staying or a ride or show you viewed earlier. Or even say that since you got to the park so early, it must be time to go home for a nap. I think it would be magical!

As much as people seem to dislike the idea of the bands, it will make existing experiences better and new experiences possible. There is not an evil reason behind everything.

erasure fan1

As much as people seem to dislike the idea of the bands, it will make existing experiences better and new experiences possible. There is not an evil reason behind everything.
I'm pretty sure Disney just wants to know how many churros I have eaten so they can report back to my insurance company so they can raise my rates! I am pretty sure Disney gets a bonus for this as well! Its EVIL I tell you! o_O

:D

djlaosc

Perhaps this is a dumb question....but why do you need the MagicBand for these interactions?

You wouldn't think you would.

Am I correct in thinking that the only difference between a MagicBand and a RFID enabled ticket/card, is the fact that a MagicBand has a larger range on it? (and people saying that they would get a RFID enabled card to prevent "easier tracking") (apart from the fact that one is a potentially annoying band, and one is a thin card, and you may get a RFID enabled ticket as standard, and would have to pay for a MagicBand)

So, this would allow the characters to know who you are without having to tap your card on a Mickey Head before you got to meet them.

But, why not just have a Mickey sensor in front of the door where the characters are, and then you can "use your magic door pass to be able to meet the characters"? Doing it this way would also help personalise/privatise the experience, as those in the queue behind you wouldn't be able to see your meet and greet.

So, are they trying to limit the experience unless you choose to "carry an item on your person" that would allow them to potentially see where you are easier than an RFID enabled ticket?

What percentage of meet and greets are currently VIP (limited to those who have something extra - eg, Disney VISA) - What percentage of meet and greets would have to be turned into VIP (ie, MagicBand necessary), before non-MagicBand people are receiving less of an experience and so the choice would become "choose a MagicBand and get the experience you had before, plus the larger range tracker on you", or "don't choose a MagicBand and get a lesser experience (you used to be able to meet Daisy and Donald at Animal Kingdom before...), for the same price (or more), but don't have the larger range tracker"?

What will happen if they expand this "VIP program" to other things past meet and greets?

What will happen to those people who will not receive a "free MagicBand" with their hotel or AP, and then potentially have to pay nearly $100 to enter a park, and then have to purchase a MagicBand to be able to do things that they want to do, or have been able to do for years?

I don't want to get into a tracking debate, and maybe this could just be for those meet and greets with Disney VISA or whatever, so may not actually take something away from the general public, but it would just be interesting to hear "why a MagicBand, and not a RFID enabled ticket?"

Tigger1988

Am I missing something? I thought it was already established that Passholders would be getting a magic band?

Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, and Annual Passholders will receive a band, as well as those guests who purchase a photography package. Guests who stay at non-Disney hotels will receive a ticket with features of touch to enter the park, touch to redeem FastPass+ and touch to pay. These guests can participate in My Disney Experience and purchase a MagicBand if they wish.

friendofafriend

The most likely reason for requiring a band is so they can read your name off your associated account so that the Next Gen characters can greet you by name. The experience would be more magical if Mickey knew your name without being told. He might even mention where you are from - "Thanks for coming all the way down from New York to see me!". He could also mention where you are staying or a ride or show you viewed earlier. Or even say that since you got to the park so early, it must be time to go home for a nap. I think it would be magical!

You're way ahead of the game there. It looks like we're still quite a way from seeing talking Mickey in the parks. As far as I know the interaction at cspot will have more to do with the surroundings than Mickey himself. There will be interactive elements that Mickey will be able to control.

Genie of the Lamp

Well I'll benefit society's (or in this case guest) interest here and not participate in these M&G's by not wearing a magicband. I don't need/want a character greeting me by name and honestly I don't even do M&G's when I go to the World except for a select few like the guy in my Avatar. I only care about the attractions, my resort stay, transportation, restaurant I eat at, etc. while on my trip. So I'm doing those a favor who think opposite of me and want to show off their super mega cool and awesomely stylish magicbands to their greeting character.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom