Downtown Disney rumor

jt04

Interesting that the tired meme that there is more than enough parking at DTD and that the parking issue was not a reason for delaying any overhaul has finally died.

It is the parking issue so I at least hope the part of the rumor about a new parking garage is true. Hyperion Wharf was definitely a case of putting the cart before the horse. It apperars that someone figured that out before greenlighting the project.

I love the possibility of the marina going away. Makes good sense.

Drill baby drill. By this summer everyone will agree.

prberk

The plan isn't bad. I'd rather Wetzel's and PH stay. Not sold on the name, but it's better than Hyperion Warf. Why not leave it Downtown Disney? It's a solid name that is well known. I'd also leave Pleasure Island as Pleasure Island...

I agree that the "Downtown Disney" name should stay. It's simple and easy to understand that it is marketing shopping and restaurants at Disney World. "Disney Springs" is as vapid and unmeaningful as the name of their least successful deluxe hotel: Saratoga Springs, which always has a little extra discounting. That should say something.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The problem with that is that EVERYONE does not have a smart phone.

The first store when you walk in to the new Disney Springs will be the world's largest Apple Store where anyone without a smartphone can buy one to use with their magic band;)

While there is no actual truth in that statement an Apple Store might actually not be a bad idea. Forgot your charger or want a Mickey case for your phone stop by DTD.

CJR

To add one other thing, under no uncertain terms should the name "Downtown Disney" be changed.

I understand the marketing idea behind changing the name and giving the whole area a rebirth, but the name "Downtown Disney" works entirely too well. It's a fantastic name and makes it sound like the shopping district is the place to be - the center of it all. If you're visiting WDW, you have to visit a place if it's called "Downtown Disney" or it's almost as though you're missing something that's an intregal part of WDW.

If you give it a generic shopping center name, it no longer has the same appeal. It's basically becomes just a mall.

I agree with you. Downtown Disney is a great name and to change it to something silly like Disney Springs is a step in the wrong direction. I don't get why these people are toying around with name changes that actually work when they have so much vacant space that isn't working. Adding to it by creating more space only seems worse.

I like the idea of the parking garage and traffic changes, but keep Downtown Disney simple with three areas. Even with three areas, there are still plenty of people getting lost, why make it more difficult for them? Changing the name of the location completely will also confuse guests even more and could become their ultimate backfire since people won't know what Disney Springs is, but sounds like another hotel. Disney, leave the name alone, problem solved.

WDW1974

It does to one of us..;)

One of us needs to let go of the AC ... or travel with me to HKDL to see their sorta food venue deal.

DD is absolutely one of the least important parts of a WDW visit to me. If it wasn't for some food venues that are quite good and you don't need a PS to get into, then I'm not sure I'd be spending time there at all.

What worries me is I think (and @Lee will recall I suggested this to him months ago) if this indeed is the plan they've decided on then this will be the 'splash' project to get Georgie K in a good way with the fanbois (like he had maybe say 0.0000000% input on it anyway) and the Lifestyle bloggers (shutout to my Twitverse pals, I'm sure @wdwmagic appreciates the clicks!).

It just sounds to me like they took a piece of the last 4-5 plans and tossed them together and this is the casserole that will be served. It just seems like one more move of DD toward the outdoor retail/lifestyle (Not Lifestylers, although they will go and just not spend any money except at the overrated sandwich shop) mall concept.

I have no issues with it. When I lived in 90210, I was at The Grove every week, but I could have walked there (a bit long, but very doable). Those types of places are great current takes on malls. It's just that I sorta ... well ... expect more from Disney than their version of something you can get everywhere from Jacksonville to Oklahoma Ciry to Burbank.

Pentacat

The first store when you walk in to the new Disney Springs will be the world's largest Apple Store where anyone without a smartphone can buy one to use with their magic band;)

While there is no actual truth in that statement an Apple Store might actually not be a bad idea. Forgot your charger or want a Mickey case for your phone stop by DTD.

Apple likes Apple stores to be the center of attention wherever they may be, I just don't see them sharing the spotlight with anyone INCLUDING Disney.

AndyMagic

Hyperion Wharf was definitely a case of putting the cart before the horse. It apperars that someone figured that out before greenlighting the project.

But the project WAS given the greenlight. It also started construction. Hyperion Wharf wasn't a case of putting the cart before the horse, it was a case of laying the horse in front of the cart and then running the horse over repeatably with an SUV. It was a solution to a problem that didn't exist

WDW1974

I can't give you specifics but the theming will be on-par with The Grove in Los Angeles! Be prepared to be blown away.

I love The Grove. I just posted that. Some ex-WDI types had a role in its design.

But it's not something I'd go to WDW for. So, if WDW is aiming at locals with this, then I'm all for it. But beyond that it is just another mall.

I am not preparing to be blown away. Sorry.

AndyMagic

I love The Grove. I just posted that. Some ex-WDI types had a role in its design.

But it's not something I'd go to WDW for. So, if WDW is aiming at locals with this, then I'm all for it. But beyond that it is just another mall.

I am not preparing to be blown away. Sorry.

I thought my post was dripping with sarcasm but apparently it didn't connect. I'm not planning on anyone actually being blown away by this.

WDW1974

I am not in love with the Disney Springs name. I would prefer Buena Vista Town Center. Disney Springs just doesn't sound like a shopping/dining area. It sounds like a residential community.

That sucks even worse. Every town has a Town Center. Mine does. They are all over FL ... the most perfect name was the Village for years ... but when they expanded and malled it, DD certainly was fine.

This thing needs more than a name change. And I am not excited based on past experiences.

WDW1974

If they put in as good as and make it only on par with The Grove or Americana, then it's just another high-end lifestyle center.

That is exactly what I see them doing. That might have been fine if Disney were blazing the trail with these type of developments ... you know like 10-12 years ago or so. But now?

Boardwalk was originally put near Epcot to give a separate bit of nightlife for the Epcot Resorts, but it never really worked out the way it was planned.

It's hard to have a nightlife when every place is locked tight by 11 p.m. ... you are right, though, there was a time when BW was supposed to be quite different. I actually recall sitting in the concierge lounge at the Dolphin in 1994 (on a B-Day trip by a Spirited sibling) looking at artwork from a then-Imagineering pal of original plans for BW -- think PP ... think a real rolley coaster ... think real entertainment ... think no timeshares. Looking across the lake at the empty plot of land, it seemed like a perfect complement to the EPCOT resorts and a great way to entertain parj guests and convention guests.

But we all know how differently things worked out.

Pentacat

My biggest concerns for WDW right now are DTD, Epcot and AK. So I think this is a great idea. DTD definitely needs work, Universal CityWalk is much more interesting.

Does anyone plan a WDW vacation with the thought, "we're going to DTD, SWEET!". It's like being excited about going to a mall in a strange town. Epcot and AK need the attention WAY more than DTD, they are the destinations drawing visitors on property after all.

This shows once again that TDO is only following the money. They can print out actual numbers (bean counters) that PROVE this investment will make back the capital investment in X number of months or years. Food and retail are all they care about anymore, that and the fact that they can find plenty of third party retailers/chain operators that want to be ON WDW property.

Meanwhile they can't find (aren't even looking?) any more big corporate sponsors interested in investing in FW pavilions or more countries willing to foot the bill for the World Showcase. Sure they got GM to pony up for TT but that attraction was already better off than UOE, JII or Wonders of Festival Life. Isn't HP's agreement up with Disney this year as well? What happens to MI then, another injection of Pixar characters like LS? HP isn't exactly rolling in the cash these days so it's not likely that you'll see their sponsorship continue IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, they've seriously broken PI and DTD is in need of help but from a priorities standpoint it's just sad.

rct247

Not impressed, especially by the name. I agree that Downtown Disney needs to get tenets first before they expand. The other thing is that the Marketplace is very cramped. Many of those buildings date back to the Disney Village Marketplace era. I feel like this will be another failed plan like the others. Hopefully this doesn't come across as arrogant, but I feel like I could also do a better job.

articos

That is exactly what I see them doing. That might have been fine if Disney were blazing the trail with these type of developments ... you know like 10-12 years ago or so. But now?

It's hard to have a nightlife when every place is locked tight by 11 p.m. ... you are right, though, there was a time when BW was supposed to be quite different. I actually recall sitting in the concierge lounge at the Dolphin in 1994 (on a B-Day trip by a Spirited sibling) looking at artwork from a then-Imagineering pal of original plans for BW -- think PP ... think a real rolley coaster ... think real entertainment ... think no timeshares. Looking across the lake at the empty plot of land, it seemed like a perfect complement to the EPCOT resorts and a great way to entertain parj guests and convention guests.

But we all know how differently things worked out.
I remember that BW plan, and I remember that plan vanishing into thin air, too. Then I remember the second plan, that had a BW full of games...and, well...yeah.

RE: Blazing a trail...you pulled the thought out of my head. I just don't expect that from the WDC any longer. Every once in a while, they surprise me, when a project gets past the budget hawks and has a canny Project Lead, but in general... I am hopeful this project is going to outdo and, quite honestly, most of the country has never seen Caruso's projects, so most of the visitors will think Disney is a trailblazer. But we both are in the corner of wanting Disney to be the company that came up with Americana and rebuilt DTD 10 years ago. I'm waiting to see how this turns out, and then I'll give credit or critique where due. And you know I can critique with the best of you...I mean, them... :)

Ignohippo

I'm a little perplexed at that claim actually. T-Rex and Rainforest seem to compete with one another, but Adventurers Club seems wholly different. The first two are themed restaurant environments for families, the latter an entertainment/nightlife option for adults...no?

That's just it though. It needs to be an all-ages restaurant during the day and a night club at night.

But, to respond to the original response, T-Rex and Rainforest would still be alright. Their enormous lines and wait times would suggest that there is much more demand for these types of venues. The AC would be the perfect type of addition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom