MagicBands....Will you wear one?

Will you wear a MagicBand?

• Yes

Votes: 165 67.9%
  • No

Votes: 78 32.1%

• Total voters

luv

Of course. You just have to reserve your pool hopping 180 days in advance.
...and be there sometime time between 3:05 - 4:05. No excuses. You were given an appointment time. If you miss it, that is YOUR fault and YOUR problem! Got it? Good, because we aren't making exceptions...unless the pool has no water, in which case we will make an exception...but we'd like you to be back with 60 minutes of it re-opening and no, we don't know when that will be. You can keep checking back here. If that isn't convenient, go to guest services or wait in line for a store clerk and have them call. Just be back within 60 minutes from the time the pool re-opens.

And have a magical day!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Sounds like another cost cutting measure to me.

We can reuse our band but not our cup.

I reuse my cup all the time. Can't be too careful I say.

schutt-protective-cup-athletic-supporter.jpg

Rose&Crowner

We're planning to stay at the Poly soon and I can't wait to go from the pool to splash mtn to Casey jr and all the pools on the loop and back with nothing but a bathing suit and a wristband and aqua socks. All the other junk stays behind now. Wristbands FTW, everything else is for scaredy cats.

ParentsOf4

I just dont see why they wouldnt have a nurses station at resorts and they could implant a chip right under your skin...no tan lines....no sweaty wrist. Have a kiosk outside the gates for day guest.:rolleyes:
I'm waiting for people people to realize the MagicBands allow The Walt Disney Company (huge corporation) to track your every movement and to collect and cross-reference an incredible amount of personal data. Disney is not doing this because it thinks it will be fun. TWDC doesn't do things for fun; it does them for money. Disney has BIG plans for your data. Disney has big plans for YOU.

It amazes me how willingly so many people are ready to expose their lives so openly and completely to such a large corporation as long as it has a Mickey Mouse on it.

No need to fear the future predicted by 1984. At long as there's a Mickey Mouse on it, people will embrace it.

"Big Brother is Watching You." - George Orwell, 1984

flynnibus

Premium Member
It amazes me how willingly so many people are ready to expose their lives so openly and completely to such a large corporation as long as it has a Mickey Mouse on it.

Because I don't consider the time spent in WDW 'my life'... any more than I consider letting my employer put cameras up in my office 'recording my life'.

ParentsOf4

Because I don't consider the time spent in WDW 'my life'... any more than I consider letting my employer put cameras up in my office 'recording my life'.
So you don't consider a vacation with your family to be part of your life? Telling. Seems to me you might have a vested interest in collecting data, even if it's not for Disney. Perhaps this is something you do for a living?

I respectfully suggest most people do consider a vacation with their families as part of their life. I suspect most parents would feel highly uncomfortable knowing the amount of data Disney will be collecting on their children. I suspect most parents would really like to know what Disney intends to do with that data.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
We're planning to stay at the Poly soon and I can't wait to go from the pool to splash mtn to Casey jr and all the pools on the loop and back with nothing but a bathing suit and a wristband and aqua socks. All the other junk stays behind now. Wristbands FTW, everything else is for scaredy cats.

Sarcasm, yeah?

flynnibus

Premium Member
So you don't consider a vacation with your family to be part of your life?

It's PART of my life - but not my life - and that's the point.

Having to wipe my is just a part of my life too - but it's not representative of how I look at, or think about my life. So when framing up what is important about my life... that part doesn't come up.

The point being.. it all stops at the edge of Mickey's world. You aren't 'exposing your lives'... they are recording your activity in WDW. But it sure sounds a lot more sinister when we say 'exposing your lives!' vs. 'recording your purchase history and attraction preferences'.

In short.. stop the hyperbole.

ParentsOf4

In short.. stop the hyperbole.
Where's the hyperbole?

Disney intends me to wear a tracking device so they can follow my movements. Disney intends my children to wear tracking devices so they can follow their movements. Disney intends to collect data on me and my family's movements and correlate that with data collected from other sources. Disney intends to use the data to make money. Where's the hyperbole?

Once you accept the premise that Disney is allowed to track my movements within WDW, why does it stop there? Certainly Disney would like to know what else I'm doing while on vacation in Orlando. What's to prevent Disney from requiring me to wear my MagicBand while in Orlando? What law prevents Disney from tracking my movements outside of WDW?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Once you accept the premise that Disney is allowed to track my movements within WDW, why does it stop there? Certainly Disney would like to know what else I'm doing while on vacation in Orlando. What's to prevent Disney from requiring me to wear my MagicBand while in Orlando? What law prevents Disney from tracking my movements outside of WDW?

Congrats on officially taking the thread to..
motivator4862133.jpg

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
The thread was simply to try and get a feel for how many "guests" would be willing to put on a large rubber bracele...I mean, a Pixie Dusted Magic Band.

Not really meant for the debate of if this whole NextGen initiative is a good thing for WDW.

As long as people continue to vote, the thread will jump no sharks.

juniorthomas

Assuming resort guests can opt out of wearing a wristband and instead carry an RFID implanted Key to the World card, which will you choose for you and your family?

As for off-site guests and locals, will you simply use the card or opt in to wearing the band?

Personally I will 100% not be wearing a MagicBand. No chance.

Edit to add a picture of the Band...

I'll definitely wear it. One less thing to worry about while I'm on vacation.

juniorthomas

The thread was simply to try and get a feel for how many "guests" would be willing to put on a large rubber bracele...I mean, a Pixie Dusted Magic Band.

Not really meant for the debate of if this whole NextGen initiative is a good thing for WDW.

As long as people continue to vote, the thread will jump no sharks.

I'm sure the sharks will be pleased, anyway.

UPbeekeeper

Is there a way to take the bands off and put them back on securely? I guess I wouldn't mind it too much, but I don't want to wear it during my entire vacation of 8 days and 9 nights. Also if it can be taken off and put back on, if you get tired of having it on your wrist, you can always switch it to a belt loop or backpack handle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom