• Total voters

WEDway1975

Original Poster
What do you guys think will happen to Avatarland will it get canceled, scaled back or, will it.... it... "gulps" survive.

In my opinion I hope it gets canceled and they make a new original idea for a new land or they bring Beastly Kingdomme back from the grave.

What do you think is going to happen?

P.S. REMEMBER this will happen if Avatarland "gulps” SURVIVES!

204151-avatardisneyparks.jpg

disney-avatarland.jpg

:D lol

Jimmy Thick

I would expect Avatarland to be closer to what Star Tours became than an entire area of AK.

Jimmy Thick- Just a guess...Maybe...

sweetpee_1993

Just a guess, eh? Seems like a scaled back version has been confirmed in other threads.

Yep. I think the best question at this point is at what point the cut-backs/halfarsing es James Cameron off enough to take his ball and go play on someone else's street. He just doesn't strike me as the sort to sell one of his babies short which is exactly what TDO does most consistantly.

bubbles1812

Yep. I think the best question at this point is at what point the cut-backs/halfarsing es James Cameron off enough to take his ball and go play on someone else's street. He just doesn't strike me as the sort to sell one of his babies short which is exactly what TDO does most consistantly.
Agreed. Whatever criticisms can be said about Cameron, his desire to push technological boundaries is not one of them... I think it will be scaled back as well, which I find actually sad. I'm one of the few it seems who thinks an Avatarland has potential and would like to see what Disney could do with it. But I don't want a lame halfarsed (stealing your word cause I like it so much ;) ) version. I feel like it's one of those go big or go home type of deals.

fraser182

Fantasmic Premium Member
I think they have to do it big ... Harry Potter big. Once Fantasyland expansion is complete, then I am sure there will be a bigger focus (media wise) on Avatar land. I hope they go for it big style. I just want to run through the trees and touch glowy plants :D.

rufio

I think it would be awesome, and I hope it works out! However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were cancelled.

sweetpee_1993

Agreed. Whatever criticisms can be said about Cameron, his desire to push technological boundaries is not one of them... I think it will be scaled back as well, which I find actually sad. I'm one of the few it seems who thinks an Avatarland has potential and would like to see what Disney could do with it. But I don't want a lame halfarsed (stealing your word cause I like it so much ;) ) version. I feel like it's one of those go big or go home type of deals.

I'm no fan of Avatar. Never seen the movie, don't care to, and really would rather not see Avatarland at all. Even with what minuscule familiarity I have with the franchise, I can recognize that this is a project that you're either going to have to do or not do. Anything less than all the way will come off severely lacking. At one time this would've been something that I think Disney would've really done in a way that would blow our minds and write a new standard for the industry. But, WDW of recent years is more like the perpetual underachiever of the family. Unless there's big changes way up the chain before Avatarland gets too far, it'll be done much smaller and painfully lacking if at all. It'll be nice but it won't be a game-changer by a long shot. That's my thoughts at this point. I'm banking on TDO doing their usual. Lol!

menamechris

I think it is pretty well confirmed that the project is being scaled back. I hope it isn't cancelled - for the simple fact that if it is - I doubt Disney will have any other expansion plans. Especially in the two parks that desperately need it. I think (hope) whatever does come of Avatar will be amazing. AK deserves something big...

bubbles1812

I'm no fan of Avatar. Never seen the movie, don't care to, and really would rather not see Avatarland at all. Even with what minuscule familiarity I have with the franchise, I can recognize that this is a project that you're either going to have to do or not do. Anything less than all the way will come off severely lacking. At one time this would've been something that I think Disney would've really done in a way that would blow our minds and write a new standard for the industry. But, WDW of recent years is more like the perpetual underachiever of the family. Unless there's big changes way up the chain before Avatarland gets too far, it'll be done much smaller and painfully lacking if at all. It'll be nice but it won't be a game-changer by a long shot. That's my thoughts at this point. I'm banking on TDO doing their usual. Lol!

I didn't really see the potential in Avatar from the standpoint of the quality of the movie...it's a fine movie, neither super great nor horrible. I just see the potential in the world Cameron created...Pandora would be a pretty dang cool place to visit if it existed. But yeah, half as*ing a project like this could seriously blow up in their faces. Some people wanted to go to that world so badly that they got depressed that it wasn't real if anyone remembers those news reports. While I don't find that depressing ;), I do find it depressing hearing reports that TDO are already scaling back the project. "Nice but it won't be a game-changer" like you so nicely phrased it does not bring as many new people in, nor does it inspire confidence in any new other projects that you do. Eventually they are going to have to stop scaling back and go big...see my posts in the Universal thread for that (Sorry, haha, don't want to retype out my points again).

backinaction

I agree with Sweet Pee. If they decide to go with a scaled back version, I believe that would be a big mistake for Disney. Why are people saying that it's already been decided that it's going to be a scaled back version? Can someone link a thread that says this? I haven't heard this yet.

Disneyfan1981

I've read the thread where the scaling back was confirmed but it I think we won't see all the bells and whistles projected. If they could capture the look and feel of Pandora, that'd be a great thing to see in that park and spend some time in despite fandom of the film or not but I don't think we'll see anything more than a ride with theming around it similar to EE than a whole huge section of the park.

Bob Saget

Since Bob Iger has already said (several occaisons) that Avatarland is going full steam ahead as planned...my guess is that random interweb users know something Iger does not, and it will be cancelled completely.

disneypearl

I tried to watch Avatar after hearing about its addition to AK but couldn't get interested in it. I actually couldn't watch the entire movie. The thought of valuable land being themed to it seems sad to me. Disney could do better and I wish they would give it another thought before actually breaking ground on Avatarland. I would be happy if it was cancelled.

menamechris

I tried to watch Avatar after hearing about its addition to AK but couldn't get interested in it. I actually couldn't watch the entire movie. The thought of valuable land being themed to it seems sad to me. Disney could do better and I wish they would give it another thought before actually breaking ground on Avatarland. I would be happy if it was cancelled.

But then we will get nothing. Is that better?

wdwfan4ver

Disney could do better and I wish they would give it another thought before actually breaking ground on Avatarland. I would be happy if it was cancelled.
The problem with it being completed scrapped is Disney wouldn't even consider replacing the idea of an avatar attraction with another attraction being built for AK for a very long time.

I am saying that Disney has a reputation of doing nothing if plans are scrapped or close things down.

That means AK be getting nothing in terms of new attractions being announced before 2020 at least if they completely scrap Avatar. Many People would be complaining about AK not getting anything new for Attractions by 2020. AK already has a reputation of half day Park despite me not really agree with that statement.

neoshinok

I agree with Sweet Pee. If they decide to go with a scaled back version, I believe that would be a big mistake for Disney. Why are people saying that it's already been decided that it's going to be a scaled back version? Can someone link a thread that says this? I haven't heard this yet.

This came from a generally reputable forum member last week.

It does appear the blue aliens are coming, but just to allow both sides to save face.
The project continually has been cut in size and scope ... what you probably will get is one giant showbuilding with Soarin Over Pandora, a dining facility, a shop and a bit of eye candy. That's it.

And, unlike all the press releases from last fall, it won't be replicated at any other Disney resort in the world.

MagicMike

I think adding Avatar to the parks is a terrible idea. It was a knee jerk reaction by Disney to compete with Universals Harry Potter and net some media attention from their frenzy. I'll breakdown the initial board meeting for you...

Disney Exec 1 - "Holy Jeez, that Harry Potter park sure is something! Universal has people lined up for miles!"

Disney Exec 2 - "We need something big to announce ourselves. Something that will bring in people who like movies. If only we had a theme park dedicated to films, or perhaps a company that produces movies, then we would really be in business!"

Disney Exec 1 - "Sir, we already have both of those things, not to mention over 80 years of our own characters and films."

Disney Exec 2 - "What kinds of movies do kids these days like? What about The Matrix, people like those movies. Or Titanic, that was a popular one. That one with the big blue people, what was that called again?"

Disney Exec 1 - "You mean Avatar sir?"

Disney Exec 2 - "Yes, that's the one! My granddaughter loves that movie."

Disney Exec 1 - "Sir don't you think its a bad idea to sink millions of dollars into a park that is based on a movie whose sole success was driven by CGI technology? I mean wont that seem like a bad idea 15 years from now when those graphics look dated and silly and the movie has no real story to fall back on? Won't people who visit the parks at that time just vaguely remember that movie at best?"

Disney Exec 2 - "Too late, I already called the press conference."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom