• Total voters

invader

I still have some strange feeling it's going to take over Dino-land instead of actually being built. Dinosaur becomes you being chased by the animal / alien that chased Jake when he first entered his Avatar. Spin Coaster and all of the gaudy carnival things get knocked out and are replaced with an okay-ish E-ticket. Finally Nemo becomes a stage show about the Na'vi. Boom, there you go. Avatarland.

Redsky89

I understand Avatar was the highest grossing film ever. But I feel like Disney is making a mistake with this. If the movie made half as much money as it did in the box office this wouldn't be happening. I think it's just a attempt to feed off the hype that was Avatar. Disney will be in trouble if the next few Avatar films don't do as well and interest dies which is why it's safer to do maybe just a ride or something based off the film.

MansionGoer13z

I think adding Avatar to the parks is a terrible idea. It was a knee jerk reaction by Disney to compete with Universals Harry Potter and net some media attention from their frenzy. I'll breakdown the initial board meeting for you...

Disney Exec 1 - "Holy Jeez, that Harry Potter park sure is something! Universal has people lined up for miles!"

Disney Exec 2 - "We need something big to announce ourselves. Something that will bring in people who like movies. If only we had a theme park dedicated to films, or perhaps a company that produces movies, then we would really be in business!"

Disney Exec 1 - "Sir, we already have both of those things, not to mention over 80 years of our own characters and films."

Disney Exec 2 - "What kinds of movies do kids these days like? What about The Matrix, people like those movies. Or Titanic, that was a popular one. That one with the big blue people, what was that called again?"

Disney Exec 1 - "You mean Avatar sir?"

Disney Exec 2 - "Yes, that's the one! My granddaughter loves that movie."

Disney Exec 1 - "Sir don't you think its a bad idea to sink millions of dollars into a park that is based on a movie whose sole success was driven by CGI technology? I mean wont that seem like a bad idea 15 years from now when those graphics look dated and silly and the movie has no real story to fall back on? Won't people who visit the parks at that time just vaguely remember that movie at best?"

Disney Exec 2 - "Too late, I already called the press conference."

This is exactly what this is, a knee jerk reaction to TWWHP. Not to mention the Butter Beer.

John

Hmmmmmm You know this is really starting to smell like the whole HP fiasco they had with Ms HK. Would Cameron sign off on a scaled back attraction? It also makes me wonder what the negotiations were with Mr Lucas. Lets see they had HP in thier hands and let it go....has SW and IMO never took full advantage of an enduring franchise. Now they see what Avatar did at the box office and thought it might convey well as an entire land....but wait! Like the others they decide to scale it back....probably use exsisting technology ( when something groundbreaking really is needed) and sell it short. You know who I blame? US...the guest. Because we will still line up in droves and say "How wonderful" They will make a kazillion dollars and smile all the way to the bank.

In about five or ten years the building will become the Narnia building....screaming for a redo.

captainkidd

I understand Avatar was the highest grossing film ever. But I feel like Disney is making a mistake with this. If the movie made half as much money as it did in the box office this wouldn't be happening. I think it's just a attempt to feed off the hype that was Avatar. Disney will be in trouble if the next few Avatar films don't do as well and interest dies which is why it's safer to do maybe just a ride or something based off the film.

I agree.

Sketch105

My hypothesis is that Disney will commit to an Avatar attraction but not the whole land. They'll see if the sequels generate enough interest to warrant an entire land. To be honest, I think they got all hyped up on building something for Animal Kingdom and now cooler heads are prevailing. There's a multitude of attractions that they announced for many of the parks that never got built- Beastly Kingdom, Discovery Bay, Hyperion Wharf (?), Atlantis, the original plans for New Fantasyland, etc. At this point, it's a wait and see game.

Walt Disney1955

I never have liked the idea. For starters, Avatar being such a smashing box office success is actually a pretty polarizing movie. Think about it. More than any famous movie that I have ever seen I have never heard so many people speak ill of a movie. Yes, some like it, but some loathe it. You rarely hear that about Star Wars, E.T., Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, even the Wizard of Oz. How can a movie that has generated more money than all before it be a movie that if often so poorly received?

This is why I think they should scrap it completely. There are lots of things they can do. The Western River Expedition, Beastly Kingdomme, some big dark ride involving the Lion King, or my favourite, a themed land to Pirates of the Caribbean. Think about it, there is going to be a 5th movie. Captain Jack Sparrow is played so flawlessly by Johnny Depp that everyone knows him and he is often emulated. The movie franchise is popular, and will be even more popular with a themed land. And Pirates is a movie franchise that has and is aging well.

Keep the original Pirates of the Caribbean. Don't change anything of it. But add a land in Hollywood Studios devoted to the movie franchise. Come on, gigantic ships, stuff like that, the possibilities are endless. Maybe add a ride in Animal Kingdom with the Lion King, another truly classic movie that will never die. Or even Bambi. Do something with that. Disney has so much at their disposal, they don't need to go to a franchise that made a movie based on blue things.

alissafalco

The problem with it being completed scrapped is Disney wouldn't even consider replacing the idea of an avatar attraction with another attraction being built for AK for a very long time.

I am saying that Disney has a reputation of doing nothing if plans are scrapped or close things down.

That means AK be getting nothing in terms of new attractions being announced before 2020 at least if they completely scrap Avatar. Many People would be complaining about AK not getting anything new for Attractions by 2020. AK already has a reputation of half day Park despite me not really agree with that statement.

I'd rather them have nothing then and put the money into fixing the YETI!!

hellloooo jungle book jungle in AK come onn
I would love to see that, but I'm not so sure that the jungle book is popular enough for Disney to want to do that. I know that there is a jungle book cartoon show on the Disney but I'm not sure how popular it is. I watched it once and they changed the characters so much! Baloo is now a brown bear who wears glasses and is incredibly strict and acts as a teacher/mentor to mogly!! :(

chrissyw14

I would love to see that, but I'm not so sure that the jungle book is popular enough for Disney to want to do that. I know that there is a jungle book cartoon show on the Disney but I'm not sure how popular it is. I watched it once and they changed the characters so much! Baloo is now a brown bear who wears glasses and is incredibly strict and acts as a teacher/mentor to mogly!! :(
nooooo balloo's always been my favorite how could they do that!!! It would be good though for the show to become popular so then maybe we'd get jungle book stuff, do you know if balloo still does a meet and greet at AK?

nooooo balloo's always been my favorite how could they do that!!! It would be good though for the show to become popular so then maybe we'd get jungle book stuff, do you know if balloo still does a meet and greet at AK?
I want to say yes, but I'm not 100% sure. The AK has never really been one of my fav parks to go to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom