NYT: "Universal....Takes Aim at Disney"

flavious27

Are you asking about the new apartment complex? It isn't really anywhere near the coasters, but I believe they aren't "allowed" to complain about their proximity to the parks. I'm sure there's limits though. They actually used it as a joke in Bill & Ted a couple years ago, regarding toning down the pyro, since the complex is right behind the Fear Factor theater.

The other neighbors have always been a problem, and are the reason why Universal is hesitant about doing nighttime shows, and also why they close the coasters in the middle of HHN.

Where was this?

The neighbors in and around the high school.

The citymark orlando site is where the cracker barrel is at.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think Disaster! will be sticking around for all that much longer, though.

Why would they do that when it just opened 4 years ago? Yes, it was just a medium reworking of the existing attraction... but the major effects portion of the ride is fine and still relevant. Plus, its a pretty large capacity attraction... I doubt removing it would make much sense from a business side of the park.

bubbles1812

Ok. Wasn't sure what thread was appropriate for this comment but since this talks about Disney's competition...can I just say that the way some people (actually a whole lot of people) talk about Disney on this site, you'd think 1) WDW was falling apart at the seams and will soon fall back into the firey chasm from whence it came (Lord of the Rings quote, I'm a dork, but it appropriately conveys the sentiment I keep getting from so many people) and 2) it is the worst place on earth to visit and 3) they'll never be happy because things aren't done in the way people exactly imagined. So few people seem to talk about Disney with any happiness. It's complain complain complain...

For example, that thread discussing the Dumbo queue is ridiculous. I can't even read it anymore because so many people are having temper tantrums that the queue wasn't designed for the 10 and up set to enjoy. The horror! Designing a queue more for the 10 and under crowd for a ride...heavily geared towards the 10 and under crowd.

Yes the parks have issues. I won't say they don't. I know there are things that need addressed but the way people talk, it would seem like Universal is going to get a lot more guests because people are so unhappy with Disney that they are going to look at other theme parks for entertainment :rolleyes:

EDIT: Sorry, not sure why that double posted below...apologies for the double post though

bubbles1812

Ok. Wasn't sure what thread was appropriate for this comment but since this talks about Disney's competition...can I just say that the way some people (actually a whole lot of people) talk about Disney on this site, you'd think 1) WDW was falling apart at the seams and will soon fall back into the firey chasm from whence it came (Lord of the Rings quote, I'm a dork, but it appropriately conveys the sentiment I keep getting from so many people) and 2) it is the worst place on earth to visit and 3) they'll never be happy because things aren't done in the way people exactly imagined. So few people seem to talk about Disney with any happiness. It's complain complain complain...

For example, that thread discussing the Dumbo queue is ridiculous. I can't even read it anymore because so many people are having temper tantrums that the queue wasn't designed for the 10 and up set to enjoy. The horror! Designing a queue more for the 10 and under crowd for a ride...heavily geared towards the 10 and under crowd.

Yes the parks have issues. I won't say they don't. I know there are things that need addressed but the way people talk, it would seem like Universal is going to get a lot more guests because people are so unhappy with Disney that they are going to look at other theme parks for entertainment :rolleyes:

misterID

Why would they do that when it just opened 4 years ago? Yes, it was just a medium reworking of the existing attraction... but the major effects portion of the ride is fine and still relevant. Plus, its a pretty large capacity attraction... I doubt removing it would make much sense from a business side of the park.

I know what you mean, but it's been there since the opening of the park.... Plus, it's prime real estate for the park for something else. I don't think it's going to be around for the long term.

GLaDOS

I know what you mean, but it's been there since the opening of the park.... Plus, it's prime real estate for the park for something else. I don't think it's going to be around for the long term.

Other attractions will go long before Disaster.

And as Martin said a few pages back, Jimmy Neutron and Jaws may be the last things to close for a while in order to add new rides.

Cornballman

I don't think Disaster! will be sticking around for all that much longer, though.

The one thing I've never understood is why in the world UNI never built a Sponge Bob dark ride. Seeing what they did with Cat In The Hat, it could be fantastic.

A spongebob dark ride would rock!~

Map7711

Just got back from california

Rode transformers. Freaking amazing. Mummy at florida was much better. Was at disneyland on Sat. They were doing rides at carsland for cast and crew. Looks awesome as much as i could see. World of color was great too. Both parks has a lot of cool things happening right now. Yea for us!!!

The Empress Lilly

Rode transformers. Freaking amazing. Mummy at florida was much better. Was at disneyland on Sat. They were doing rides at carsland for cast and crew. Looks awesome as much as i could see. World of color was great too. Both parks has a lot of cool things happening right now. Yea for us!!!
Yeah for us...except for 'us' in WDW. We have Dueling Dumbos + McDisney's kiddie play area.

The Empress Lilly

WDW is awesome. In fact, it is so fantastically awesome, that you can strip it down to 75% of its potential, as they do, and it still is awesome.

But I want that 25% too.

bubbles1812

WDW is awesome. In fact, it is so fantastically awesome, that you can strip it down to 75% of its potential, as they do, and it still is awesome.

But I want that 25% too.

I get that people want the parks to be the best they can be, I really do get that. Like I said, I acknowledge that the parks do have genuine issues that should be addressed. But I'm kind of...bemused and stupified at the amount of complaining that is going on about basically everything. The Dumbo queue...no it's not the greatest all time thing but seriously, its a queue for a kids ride. Yes, the whole family can ride it but again, it is a kids ride. It is geared towards toddlers and that group (along with their parents) are the primary ones who ride it...so of course Disney is going to cater their queue more to that group. And there is nothing stopping you from playing on the equipment if you want to...will most older people? No. But you can. There isn't anything stopping you. At least Disney is trying something. They could have done nothing at all and then people would have just griped that Disney hasn't being doing anything to "plus" the guest experience.. Not everything is geared towards everyone...for example, Space Mountain. The queue has stuff older kids can enjoy more...why? Because toddlers don't ride it. It's not geared to them. ToT, Rockin Roller Coaster, Everest, same thing...none of those rides are geared towards toddlers. Dumbo is...so seriously, just let the kids have Dumbo. But its not just the Dumbo queue, that is just one example...like I said again, people act like the parks are falling apart and that no joy is to be had in them anymore.

It would just be nice to see people actually enjoying Disney rather than just complain, complain, complain...and oh yeah, complain. There just so much negativity on these boards it astounds me.

bubbles1812

dont listen to them then

simples

I am not opposed to hearing criticisms of the parks. Again, I said there were issues, I know there are. But there are little things like the Dumbo queue that people just can't seem to let go of...adults complaining that a ride designed for toddlers to the nth degree has a queue designed more for toddlers comes off silly. The negativity is rampant to the point where it does seem like most people want to tell Disney to take a hike and that they'll go somewhere else...like universal. It seems to developing what a lot of people are calling for. They are cleaning up their parks, putting in new rides ect. I love Disney, I love it and its my fav place to be but I see so little of that love expressed on these boards sometimes.

But thanks pumbas for that brilliant advice *sarcasm*

Sans Souci

I am not opposed to hearing criticisms of the parks. Again, I said there were issues, I know there are. But there are little things like the Dumbo queue that people just can't seem to let go of...adults complaining that a ride designed for toddlers to the nth degree has a queue designed more for toddlers comes off silly. The negativity is rampant to the point where it does seem like most people want to tell Disney to take a hike and that they'll go somewhere else...like universal. It seems to developing what a lot of people are calling for. They are cleaning up their parks, putting in new rides ect. I love Disney, I love it and its my fav place to be but I see so little of that love expressed on these boards sometimes.

But thanks pumbas for that brilliant advice *sarcasm*

I don't understand why that's an issue. It's the free market at work.

As far as the negativity and the complainers go (although I do feel a lot of these people make valid points), don't let it bother you. Worry about the variables in your life that you can control, let go of the ones you can't. :)

bubbles1812

I don't understand why that's an issue. It's the free market at work.

Oh I agree it's the free market and that is just fine. I just find it pathetic/funny/ironic that people who claim to absolutely love Disney, go every year, blah blah blah, are the ones who are so so negative about everything the parks do. If they don't try something...people complain but if they do try something...people still complain.

But yeah, I know I can't controlling the complaining. I do let most of it go. But it's just annoying.

Captain Chaos

Oh I agree it's the free market and that is just fine. I just find it pathetic/funny/ironic that people who claim to absolutely love Disney, go every year, blah blah blah, are the ones who are so so negative about everything the parks do. If they don't try something...people complain but if they do try something...people still complain.

But yeah, I know I can't controlling the complaining. I do let most of it go. But it's just annoying.

You know what seems to me even more pathetic/funny/ironic??? People complaining about people complaining...

bubbles1812

You know what seems to me even more pathetic/funny/ironic??? People complaining about people complaining...

I said I was open to listening to criticisms of the park. They have their issues. I admit it. I never said they don't. But it's when I see a few posters making negative post after negative post, complaining day in day out, not looking/seeing any good in the things Disney does try...that's when it get's annoying and I start to wonder if they actually like Disney anymore. I haven't even been on these boards that long and I've could name some of those totally negative nellies

Anyways...I hope what they say is true that a rising tide elevates all boats or however they phrased that. Competition is good and hopefully Universal/Sea World/whatever other theme parks do end up spurring Disney to do something spectacular and hopefully soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom