Why hasn't everybody started fussing about the upcoming ticket price increase?

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Usually when the annual buzz rolls around we all claim that we will never visit again. This is the last straw. And that record attendance cannot possible warrant higher prices. Nor the fact that hours have been expanded like crazy the past year. Especially in the offseasons. Back to pre 2001 levels.

How dare Disney World raise prices again in that kind of prosperous climate of high demand?

JimboJones123

Original Poster
The mouse knows it will fare much better getting that increase before the big summer rush comes through town. Just like last year.

erasure fan1

Well if (or I should say when) they raise the prices, Im sure I will complain about it.:lol: Now we wont not go to Disney, but we have already started to talk about alternate plans and doing other things for our trip next year. My wife wants to go see Potter land and the kids want to go see legoland... So we will stay at old key west to use our points and only do Disney for a day or 2.

menamechris

I think WDW will be smart enough to do the price increase when the majority of Fantasyland is opened. Probably before the holidays. They are going to want to do what Disneyland did in the blog post - point to all the new stuff they are offering to justify the price hike...

Meanwhile - annual passholders at Disneyland are getting a HUGE price hike... It looks like they may be trying to reduce the number of passholders actually...

menamechris

It happens every year. Sometimes twice a year. We deal with it and move on. :shrug:

I actually think WDW is going on 2 years this summer without a price hike...which is pretty incredible actually. But I think they know people wouldn't be happy about paying more for being in a construction site..

Edit - Actutally, I looked it up and you're right..ticket prices went up like 3 bucks for a single day ticket and $20 for passholders in June 2011. Hhhmm..guess we will see if it happens this year.

fractal

people need to take a business class or two. You raise prices when
demand is high. When demand is low you lower prices to attract
customers. It's called the law (not theory) of supply and demand.

menamechris

The second class of business explains how you never stop raising prices...you offer discounts. Go figure...

cheezbat

I actually think WDW is going on 2 years this summer without a price hike...which is pretty incredible actually. But I think they know people wouldn't be happy about paying more for being in a construction site..

Edit - Actutally, I looked it up and you're right..ticket prices went up like 3 bucks for a single day ticket and $20 for passholders in June 2011. Hhhmm..guess we will see if it happens this year.

They upped their single day ticket prices to $85 dollars last year...I paid $91 after tax to visit the MK with a friend. They up it every year now.
I expect to see another price hike around August.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Not quite a complete explanation. First, the "law" is misnamed, since it isn't like a law of physics, which explains how something works, but is instead more of a drastically simplified model, meant to exhibit not how the market really works, but to show how one factor would affect the markets, if only that factor mattered.

Under that model, a decrease in demand causes prices to fall because suppliers are presumed to want to sell everything they have produced. Alternatively, suppliers respond to a decrease in demand by dropping production so that they don't need to drop prices to sell everything produced. But that only holds in a market with completely flexible supply and demand.

With WDW, the supply is not flexible, and Disney does not need to sell everything. Rather, they will set prices so that demand is equal to or less than the available supply (max capacity) in the way that maximizes total revenue. The basic model assumes the markets are looking to sell a particular quantity, but In a business with inelastic supply, letting some go unused can maximize total revenue, if the demand curve is inelastic as well. So, if raising prices by 5% only causes a 3% drop in demand, you come out ahead by raising prices. And if dropping prices by 5% only causes a 3% increase in demand, you come out a loser despite the fact that you sell more.

ewensell3

Usually when the annual buzz rolls around we all claim that we will never visit again. This is the last straw. And that record attendance cannot possible warrant higher prices....

I'll start complaining when the 10-day non-expire park hoppers I bought back in 2009 are used up and it's time to buy a new set.

Mimi

I'll start complaining when the 10-day non-expire park hoppers I bought back in 2009 are used up and it's time to buy a new set.

If I only had a time machine... :dazzle:

Does anyone know when they changed to passes? I remember the ticket books, then I remember my mom pinning a pass to me with a Donald Duck pin, then I remember the passes - my mom would hold on to these for all of us. I think those last ones are the grandparents of the tickets we have today and I remember hearing Jack Wagner's voice saying "and they're good, FOREVER!" (does anyone have that audio?) Those are the tickets I need to go back in time to stock up on - anyone remember what the original price was? What year do I need to go back to?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Not quite a complete explanation. First, the "law" is misnamed, since it isn't like a law of physics, which explains how something works, but is instead more of a drastically simplified model, meant to exhibit not how the market really works, but to show how one factor would affect the markets, if only that factor mattered.

Under that model, a decrease in demand causes prices to fall because suppliers are presumed to want to sell everything they have produced. Alternatively, suppliers respond to a decrease in demand by dropping production so that they don't need to drop prices to sell everything produced. But that only holds in a market with completely flexible supply and demand.

With WDW, the supply is not flexible, and Disney does not need to sell everything. Rather, they will set prices so that demand is equal to or less than the available supply (max capacity) in the way that maximizes total revenue. The basic model assumes the markets are looking to sell a particular quantity, but In a business with inelastic supply, letting some go unused can maximize total revenue, if the demand curve is inelastic as well. So, if raising prices by 5% only causes a 3% drop in demand, you come out ahead by raising prices. And if dropping prices by 5% only causes a 3% increase in demand, you come out a loser despite the fact that you sell more.

:sohappy:

FTW!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom