Why do people love Downtown Disney?

Luvmydisney

Original Poster
Hi Fellow Disney-lovers! My family and I have been to Disney World the last 4 years in a row and have only ventured to Downtown Disney twice. Keep in mind we now have 3 children ages 6, 4 and 1. So, shopping with 3 kids is really the last thing I want to do! Also, I would much rather spend any extra money we have on extra days at the parks. I don't want a lot of souveniers to ship home. I guess I am surprised at how many people love DTD and make it such a priority to go there on their trips. What am I missing? Should I give it another try next year?

Pioneer Hall

I enjoy going to DTD in the evenings sometimes, especially during the times of year when the parks aren't open late. I don't really have to buy anything, but I enjoy browsing in the marketplace. I think the atmosphere (when it isn't packed) is enjoyable.

mickeysshoes

You might understand this now with 3 kids as young as they are...but one day you will. I just love to go down and people watch!!!!

SulleyanBoo

I would much rather spend my days at the parks as well but sometimes DTD can be nice for the evening. The restaurants there are excellent and the atmosphere is nice...you can have a few drinks and dance..it's pretty fun :) I would reccommend definitely doing an evening there on your next trip!

ddbowdoin

In Boston...

we have: malls, unique shops, world class restaurants

what wedon't have: Disney World

so we always skip DTD

Sharkreef11

Downtown Disney is just a special place for us. It's a chance to step aside from the hustle and bustle of the parks and just walk around. People go for many reasons: Food options, shopping, walking around, or even enjoy the party scene for some. They have three sections dedicated to fit all sides of what you want to do. Unwinding and enjoying the food is our favorite option. Our favorite quick service is Earl of Sandwhich. We go there as often as possible. The World of Disney store is so amazing and just blows me away with the size.

With small children I can certainly understand, but like what was mentioned before, you may come to appreciate it as they get older.

PyroKinesis

In Boston...

so we always skip DTD

Well that's a bit pompous, considering 90% of Boston makes a slum look nice.

On topic, however, I see a GIGANTIC version of World of Color coming here soon. Book it. By 2015, WoC at DTD.

Luvmydisney

Original Poster
I can certainly understand that my kids ages play a part in my attitude about DTD! I definitely enjoy window shopping, but taking my kids to stores and hearing them beg for every item they see is a nightmare! :hammer: I think we might wait a while before visiting again. Maybe they'll appreciate it and we will too when they are teenagers! Thanks for the great replies!

NewfieFan

I think you will find that most places you live. Not just Boston. :animwink:

Let's see... we have a small drug store, two tiny grocery stores, and one hardware store. I have to drive 30 mins on a highway just to get to a Walmart (and a small one at that). Not all places have "that"! :animwink:

But seriously, I enjoy DTD (and not just b/c I live in the sticks)! I try to go there during the weekday (weekends are madness) and it can be quite relaxing. The Characters in Flight balloon is certainly worth doing once and my kids love the lego store even if we don't buy anything.

ddbowdoin

I think you will find that most places you live. Not just Boston. :animwink:

Let's see... we have a small drug store, two tiny grocery stores, and one hardware store. I have to drive 30 mins on a highway just to get to a Walmart (and a small one at that). Not all places have "that"! :animwink:

But seriously, I enjoy DTD (and not just b/c I live in the sticks)! I try to go there during the weekday (weekends are madness) and it can be quite relaxing. The Characters in Flight balloon is certainly worth doing once and my kids love the lego store even if we don't buy anything.

yes, I agree... I have many friends who I met in college who grew up in similar places. Having to drive hours to get to a mall, shopping once a year during the best sales for school.

I was just naming where I live... wasn't being cheeky. But yes, anyone who lives in or around a major metropolitan city will find the same things at home.

Animaniac93-98

DTD, as is, is a waste of time for me. The same stuff can be bought anywhere else on property and the current selection of stores doesn't really interest me at all. I don't see the appeal of spending all that time and money to go to WDW, and then see a substandard strip mall. :shrug:

J03Y

it's nice to just end your evening there and simply browse the stores. you don't have to necessarily BUY anything. it's just nice to stroll through and take in the Disney, and that's all DTD is for. you don't have to spend all of your time at the parks. that's not what WDW is all about.

personally i love going with my six to four year old cousins (i'm not sure what kind of kids you have, but i love going with little kids), going to Ghiradelli and having ice cream, eating sandwiches at Earl of Sandwich, maybe watching a movie at AMC, paying a visit to World of Disney and Once Upon A Toy Story and ending the evening at Goofy's Candy Co and making my own little treat. it's pleasant and actually quite peaceful.

if you just take things slow and steady and just take everything in as it is instead of trying to MAKE it fun, DTD is very enjoyable. it's a must whenever i go up to Disney. i usually do it the last day of vacation after spending a day or two in the parks. and then there's Disney Quest whenever you can which is awesome no matter how old you are.

Sharkreef11

yes, I agree... I have many friends who I met in college who grew up in similar places. Having to drive hours to get to a mall, shopping once a year during the best sales for school.

I was just naming where I live... wasn't being cheeky. But yes, anyone who lives in or around a major metropolitan city will find the same things at home.

I was mainly referring to not having Disney World... I was just goofin around, but it's hard to translate that through text. That's why I tried adding the winking guy. :wave:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
In Boston...

so we always skip DTD

I live in Guernsey (channel Islands,U.k. google it) no strip mall no mcdonalds/kfc/pizza hut/starbucks... no cinema with more than 100 seats to a screen.... no world class resteraunts..... not even a disney store.... thats why we go to DTD
Oh and before anyone asks,we have heard of electricity :lookaroun devils work:lookaroun

BrittanyRose428

I would only go to Downtown Disney depending on how long my trip was. The last two times I went to WDW was only for 4 days each time, so Downtown Disney was just not on the agenda. With less time there I'd rather spend most of it at the parks. If I was there for 10 days - 2 weeks I would probably make a point to go, but other than that its not a priority.

forevermickey

I also love to go to DTD during a day we are not going to the parks. I LOVE the parks.. but I like of day of leisure.. walking quietly around DTD, taking a boat out and watching the resorts and parks from afar.. peaceful and quiet. Also Love the atmosphere at night. Little more difficult with a tired 5 year old.. so we have to monitor our time... but fun... I love to see all Disney has to offer while we are there :)

JIMINYCR

We plan into our itinerary to go to DTD at least once sometimes twice during our vacation to WDW. Why? Because of the unique shops there and the restaurants that we enjoy. The Pin Traders station has pins, pin sets, and pin supplies that are not always available in the parks. The Lego store has Lego sets that can not be found in our local toy stores at home. The World of Disney store has many items that we looked for in the parks but couldn't find. The Art of Disney shop has figurines and art work that are not found at MK, DHS or EPCOT shops. The many restaurants have unique menus as well that we enjoy.
So yes, we have shops and Malls at home, we go through the many shops in each park but DTD is unique enough that we enjoy looking around and shopping at during our stay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom