Sorcerers of the MK (video)

CountryBearFan

WDW is being reinvented. Into a giant video game/interactive experience that datamines its guests information (for whatever purposes) when they are busy playing life size video games in the parks (that are much cheaper and easier to maintain than things like Splash Mountain or Mansion or PoC).

It's too late to turn back. It's like a runaway train (like that movie from last year that was sorta entertaining while sitting in First Class on my third cocktail, but would never watch otherwise) ... it ain't stopping until it blows through the station, derails and 'splodes.

And $90 for a day at the MK? Um ... not gonna get into that one now!

Mr. I-Hate-Everything strikes again! :fork:

WDW1974

Mr. I-Hate-Everything strikes again! :fork:

I am a lover (and a decent one to be honest), not a hater.

I'm sorry you can't handle adult discussions.

Turning theme parks into giant video games is an insult to the Disney Legacy and the intelligence (and wallets) of guests who pay big $$$ to visit.

~Oh no, you din't~

Jim Handy

Sorcerers has actually had issues lately and the system has had to be reset a couple times. It's open daily for soft openings and was shut down for a little while as they waited for help from California.

Don't know if it's been mentioned in here, but Disney released a video with a WDI show producer talking about this magical new experience. (?) Let me just say its hard to get excited about something when a guy who worked on it shows to no enthusiasm.

RSoxNo1

I am a lover (and a decent one to be honest), not a hater.

I'm sorry you can't handle adult discussions.

Turning theme parks into giant video games is an insult to the Disney Legacy and the intelligence (and wallets) of guests who pay big $$$ to visit.

~Oh no, you din't~

Honest question - how do you feel about Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Even when introduce difficulty levels, it will be nothing but a screen game you stand there and wave cards at. Except it will be a slightly more challenging screen game you stand there and wave cards at.

and all video/computer games are just games where you push a bunch of keys.. or push a bunch more keys.. :brick:

GLaDOS

and all video/computer games are just games where you push a bunch of keys.. or push a bunch more keys.. :brick:

Well written stories and characters you connect to aside, yes basically.

But I'm also not paying nearly $100 to get into a park to play something less interesting and involved than the video games I play at home. I'm there for experiences only Disney can provide that transport and entertain me.

bhg469

Honest question - how do you feel about Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure?

Im curious to see the answer to this question. I know that I think KP is a stroke of genius. This game cannot hold a candle to it, difficulty changes or not. This is nothing that cannot happen on a modern day game system.

********* KP SPOILER ALERT********** I cannot use my cell phone to trigger a rocket to launch or a robot to blow up right in front of me like KP lets you do. That technology is what they should be using and not just in Epcot but every park.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But I'm also not paying nearly $100 to get into a park to play something less interesting and involved than the video games I play at home. I'm there for experiences only Disney can provide that transport and entertain me.

Have you tried these things before?

As someone who has.. on the Disney Dream... these things are interesting and neat too.

The only thing close to things like this at home are xbox Kinect - and these are done far better than that.

GLaDOS

Have you tried these things before?

As someone who has.. on the Disney Dream... these things are interesting and neat too.

The only thing close to things like this at home are xbox Kinect - and these are done far better than that.

No, and honestly I don't need to. I've seen the videos. I've seen what it has to offer. There's no surprises. No hidden bells and whistles. It's holding a card up in front of a screen and camera. It's LESS involved than what a Kinect does, and the Kinect holds little interest for me. The games I play I do so for the stories, characters, and challenge. Not to wave at a TV screen.

With Kim Possible at least there's a sense of your actions mattering. The physical environment shapes around you and reacts to the game. There's nothing like that with this.

I don't think the game is the end of the world, but it's disappointing to see so much time and resources wasted on something so passive and forgettable.

wilkeliza

No, and honestly I don't need to. I've seen the videos. I've seen what it has to offer. There's no surprises. No hidden bells and whistles. It's holding a card up in front of a screen and camera. It's LESS involved than what a Kinect does, and the Kinect holds little interest for me. The games I play I do so for the stories, characters, and challenge. Not to wave at a TV screen.

With Kim Possible at least there's a sense of your actions mattering. The physical environment shapes around you and reacts to the game. There's nothing like that with this.
forgettable.

Your actions do matter in this game. As people have pointed out before as of now only the easy level is being played. However, even on the easy level the specific card you hold up cast a specific spell and the video changes due to that. Also the more you use your cards their values can go up and down. Yes there is nothing that makes the environment it is in react but the videos do change based on the spell used.

There are stories involved and what I personally thought was some interesting plot lines. This is one of those things that people are either going to hate, love or just be meh about. Disney can't please everyone and seeing as I was there during what was considered a low month and people were excited to play and came up and asked what I was doing when I was at portals means that at least some people want this game in the parks.

bhg469

Can we all agree this execution is inferior to kp? I'm all for giving it a fair try but seriously can it even measure up?

flynnibus

Premium Member
The system can do motion tracking too..

In the Disney Dream variant you must interact with the scenes, not just stand there. You can move the card around, interact, turn things, grab things, etc.

ptaylor

Premium Member
For me, Sorcerers is a complete waste of time as it stands right now. If things dramatically improve with the addition of the levels, it may be salvageable. But as it is right now, walking between a few video screens and holding up a card is a total waste of time. It is something that resembles a video game at home, rather than something that should be in a park. It is nowhere near as good as Kim Possible in my opinion.

A lot of blame around here goes to park management, but in this case, it looks to me as though WDI really did a poor job on this. It is a weak concept, with a very poor story and virtually non existent gameplay. No doubt though it cost a fortune to build.

Mike730

I haven't tried Sorcerer's yet, but I still think there's too much hating on it right now. Epcot is a much bigger park that can handle lots of people doing KP. If Sorcerer's was as grand as that it would create a mess in MK. There would be lines all over the place and you'd have to wait forever to look at a screen. I honestly think Sorcerer's was made to be a little less involved on purpose.
Of course there are ways around such problems, (reservations, player caps, etc..) but if they created a game that the whole park would want to play, then they wouldn't have been able to discretely place the game components all over the park. This, in my opinion, is the greatest draw of it in the first place.

erstwo

The game components are definitely not discreetly placed. From what I have seen, SOTMK infringes upon the environments of the various themed lands.

Okay, this is SO untrue it's not even funny.

I was in the MK and had no idea - ZERO - that the portals were even there until the day they opened up the Firehouse. They are so well hidden that I even CLOSELY inspected the Little Mermaid window at the front of Main Street on a Saturday night (I noticed the display was new) and did not notice for even one second that there was any kind of 'portal' or 'key box' in/ around/ near it.

I think the Imagineers have knocked it out of the park (pun intended) on this one. I think it will only grow in popularity as the complexity of the game increases.

asianway

The game components are definitely not discreetly placed. From what I have seen, SOTMK infringes upon the environments of the various themed lands.

The worst offender is the one by the Liberty Belle. Nothing says magical like a TV on in the background during the electrical parade.

HMF

IMHO, The games infrastructure is well integrated, The game itself is not. I see the whole portal concept as Disney saying "These portals help explain how we attempt to justify as a creative excuse to make you think you are not just watching an over-glorified TV Screen with very little context to tie it in to it's environment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom