Sorcerers of the MK (video)

jjnshane

:mad: There are already sellers on ebay selling cards for $4 to $8 -- and they are not the "rare" cards. There is a Key Card with the starting bid of $5. This makes me so angry that they are selling the cards that you can get for free in the park and at an outrageous price! Shame on them!
(Although I can't say that I didn't see it coming!)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
:mad: There are already sellers on ebay selling cards for $4 to $8 -- and they are not the "rare" cards. There is a Key Card with the starting bid of $5. This makes me so angry that they are selling the cards that you can get for free in the park and at an outrageous price! Shame on them!

Anything that is even remotely collectible has an intrinsic value regardless of the initial cost of the item.

bhg469

It makes me want to scan all of them, print them on card stock and send them at cost. Just to stick it to these people. I have no issue with Disney selling them but the free cards being sold irks me.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It makes me want to scan all of them, print them on card stock and send them at cost. Just to stick it to these people. I have no issue with Disney selling them but the free cards being sold irks me.

Why? It's capitalism at it's finest.

John Doe has something than Jane Doe wants. John provides it at a cheaper cost than what it would cost Jane to get it herself.

bhg469

Why? It's capitalism at it's finest.

John Doe has something than Jane Doe wants. John provides it at a cheaper cost than what it would cost Jane to get it herself.

I guess its the type of person that does this that gets me. One look at most of those pin sharks and I get I'll.

smurfwreck

Just got back from a trip to the world and I have to say that I was really underwhelmed by the Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom experience. Going in my wife and I were excited about the concept and looking forward to playing it. We'd scheduled the Key's to the Kingdom tour for our first day and figured we'd use the last half of the day to try out the game and lounge around the park.

My main issue came while waiting on our first portal. We picked Adventureland and figured the portal in the Tortuga Tavern would be a fun way to start. Well there were 4 families in front of us, which didn't seem to be that big of a deal at first, but with two kids in two of the families each getting a turn, and the parents and kid in another both taking turns, the wait for the first portal was 40 minutes plus. I typically don't wait that long for rides. To add insult to injury, during our turn it told us to go to a different portal to start, so we burned 45 minutes to turn around and wait again. Granted, I'm sure it was explained somewhere that there was a specific starting portal, but it's not obvious enough. During the wait we saw a bunch of the Adventureland scenes, some repeatedly, so it seemed very anticlimactic when we actually got a chance to do it ourselves. After taking a look at the lines that were 4 or five deep at each portal we decided to ditch it. Just took took too long and was was mind-numbing by the time we got a chance to play.

I still like the concept and interactivity, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. We were also in the park on a very light day, so I can't imagine what this would be like at busier times of the year. I'm really glad it was free. If I had to pay for the cards I would have been pretty peeved at the time investment.

eranwolf

Was at MK twice last week and wanted to report an interesting change to the rules regarding distribution of the cards after talking to 3 separate CMs during our visit.

The CMs were explaining that Disney is very upset already at the abuse and sale of the cards on eBay. The CMs are taking a no nonsense approach to card distribution now. I am not sure how cards were distributed before as I went into MK on the day the new policy went into effect. The way the system was supposed to work is that you are only allowed one pack of cards per day OR if you level up from Easy to Medium then to Hard level. Which in my experience would force you to walk roughly the span of the park 3 times in order to accomplish one level up. However, many players were circumventing the system by simply going back for more cards when the CMs would change shifts and using other methods such as using multiple key cards from other packs to receive additional packs.

Essentially, the new method ties your key card to your ticket so that you can only have one key card active at a time. If you try to activate a new key card it will deactivate the previous one bound to the ticket. Also, you can not be issued new cards daily unless your current key card has been activated at a portal. This prevents someone going in daily and just getting cards and never playing the game.

I am sure I am missing some details but that is the jist. I can honestly say that I saw 6-7 people with multiple complete decks of all 70 cards when I was playing the game both nights. I was playing with my 10 year old son and he is a Pokemon collector. He instantly became hooked on getting all 70 cards in the set and was wheeling and dealing his doubles. Luckily he is a shrewd kid when it comes to his collectibles and we knew from the start that the beginning numbers in the set were rare cards and he was not going to trade them unless it was for another rare. I stayed out of his trades only standing on the perimeter to watch over the trade. On at least 6 different occasions adult card players tried to trade him their uncommons for his rares. He was wise though and politely said no deal unless you want to trade for a rare. You should have seen the surprise on many of the adults faces that they had been called out by a kid.

Also as far as difficulty and the game goes, Easy is too easy and unless you are dedicated to getting to the harder levels you will lose interest quickly. It is nothing more than repeat after me. It doesn't matter what spell card you hold up, you always win on Easy. However Medium and Hard is where the fun comes in. At advanced levels you have to figure out which cards work on which villains. Also you can do multiple card attacks, combining and holding up 2 and 3 cards at a time. Also, when doing the combo card attacks certain cards compliment one another. Such as cards from the same movie work better with each other than solo. Once my son and I got to the higher levels it was WAY more enjoyable. IMHO the Easy level requirement to level to Medium is way to steep. You have to defeat all the villains in each land twice before leveling. Honestly one time through the park on Easy is way more than enough to get people used ot the game.

eranwolf

Interesting. I tried to get cards for my daughter while she was in the restroom, showing the CM her Annual Pass, and I was rudely told that she would have to come back and wait in line herself. The CM nastily muttered, "People are trying to collect all of the cards." You think? Isn't that the point?

What would be a "rare" card? Kevin Yee mentioned somewhere that he believes Disney is now holding back cards 61-70 for sale. Other than that, I am assuming they come as full decks, so I can't imagine why one card would be more "rare" than another. Heck, on several different visits, the CMs just peeled off five cards in consecutive order for us (e.g., 6-10, 24-28), not even bothering to mix them up (unbelievably stupid/lazy), and there weren't any "rare" cards missing from the sequences.

Was at MK twice last week and wanted to report an interesting change to the rules regarding distribution of the cards after talking to 3 separate CMs during our visit.

The CMs were explaining that Disney is very upset already at the abuse and sale of the cards on eBay. The CMs are taking a no nonsense approach to card distribution now. I am not sure how cards were distributed before as I went into MK on the day the new policy went into effect. The way the system was supposed to work is that you are only allowed one pack of cards per day OR if you level up from Easy to Medium then to Hard level. Which in my experience would force you to walk roughly the span of the park 3 times in order to accomplish one level up. However, many players were circumventing the system by simply going back for more cards when the CMs would change shifts and using other methods such as using multiple key cards from other packs to receive additional packs.

Essentially, the new method ties your key card to your ticket so that you can only have one key card active at a time. If you try to activate a new key card it will deactivate the previous one bound to the ticket. Also, you can not be issued new cards daily unless your current key card has been activated at a portal. This prevents someone going in daily and just getting cards and never playing the game.

I am sure I am missing some details but that is the jist. I can honestly say that I saw 6-7 people with multiple complete decks of all 70 cards when I was playing the game both nights. I was playing with my 10 year old son and he is a Pokemon collector. He instantly became hooked on getting all 70 cards in the set and was wheeling and dealing his doubles. Luckily he is a shrewd kid when it comes to his collectibles and we knew from the start that the beginning numbers in the set were rare cards and he was not going to trade them unless it was for another rare. I stayed out of his trades only standing on the perimeter to watch over the trade. On at least 6 different occasions adult card players tried to trade him their uncommons for his rares. He was wise though and politely said no deal unless you want to trade for a rare. You should have seen the surprise on many of the adults faces that they had been called out by a kid.

As far as the game goes, easy levle is way to easy and requires you to play it too long in order to level up. Many people will lose interest in this. Having to walk around the park roughly 3 times in order to beat each level is fine on Medium and Hard but on easy it is asking to much. You really need to only beat one land to "get it". Easy is just a repeat after me level and having to do at least twice in each land becomes boring very quickly. That said, once we got to Medium level the game became MUCH better. You were able to use multiple card attacks. Also, having to figure out which cards worked best against certain villians was great. Also, figuring out which cards complimented each other in a card attack was fun.

TronAThon

I played the game for a while yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. If you can deal with a bunch of cotton candy infused kids screaming and jumping in front of you its a good time.

I do wish I could accumulate some more cards however I respect that Disney is only allowing 5 cards per day. Having an AP and being a local it won't be too tough getting more cards over time.

joanna71985

I started playing on Leap Day, and I have officially become hooked. It's a fun game, and I hope I can find all the cards (and today I beat Medium!).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom