FLE Capacity

Goofy6294

Original Poster
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but I couldn't locate it...How much with the FLE expand MK's capacity?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
By a little bit... Mermaid can handle around 220 guests at a time, plus the not small line.. Factor in a few stores, Beasts restaurant and the Snow White MG too plus walking space and there's easily a ballpark of 5000. Tomorrowland 74-5 was still more...

Horizonsfan

By a little bit... Mermaid can handle around 220 guests at a time, plus the not small line.. Factor in a few stores, Beasts restaurant and the Snow White MG too plus walking space and there's easily a ballpark of 5000. Tomorrowland 74-5 was still more...

Is it known if there will be a net gain of throughput in the "conversion" of Scary Adventures to Mine Train?

TP2000

Tomorrowland 74-5 was still more...

Thank you for that part, Martin. :wave:

TDO's mindless marketing blather about FLE being "the biggest expansion in Magic Kingdom history" is insulting, and just plain wrong. It's basically a lie. :eek:

At best that lie is a product of a clueless TDO Marketing Department staffed by a bunch of texting-tweeting idiotic 20somethings who don't bother to research their company's product or their own personal production. At worst that lie is a product of a less-clueless TDO Marketing Department staffed with barely intelligent people who think the consumers they are texting-tweeting at are too stupid to know WDW's own recent history. Either way, it's not good.

The Tomorrowland expansion of 1974-75 was bigger than the Fantasyland remodel, er, expansion of 2012-14 in every way possible; new park acreage, hourly ride capacity, facility square footage, and total attraction count.

FLE is a good thing for the Magic Kingdom overall, but TDO is lying when they say it's the "biggest expansion in history". One only need to go back to the Disco Era to realize they are lying, or more likely, that TDO doesn't even know its own history. :rolleyes:

IlikeDW

TDO's mindless marketing blather about FLE being "the biggest expansion in Magic Kingdom history" is insulting, and just plain wrong. It's basically a lie. :eek:

At best that lie is a product of a clueless TDO Marketing Department staffed by a bunch of texting-tweeting idiotic 20somethings who don't bother to research their company's product or their own personal production. At worst that lie is a product of a less-clueless TDO Marketing Department staffed with barely intelligent people who think the consumers they are texting-tweeting at are too stupid to know WDW's own recent history. Either way, it's not good.

The Tomorrowland expansion of 1974-75 was bigger than the Fantasyland remodel, er, expansion of 2012-14 in every way possible; new park acreage, hourly ride capacity, facility square footage, and total attraction count.

FLE is a good thing for the Magic Kingdom overall, but TDO is lying when they say it's the "biggest expansion in history". One only need to go back to the Disco Era to realize they are lying, or more likely, that TDO doesn't even know its own history. :rolleyes:

Was Tland actually an expansion or was it more of a phase 2 of the original plans.

Cosmic Commando

It's not a lie... from a certain point of view. I'm sure FLE will cost more than the Tomorrowland expansion if you don't adjust for inflation (not sure what happens if you do). That point of view helps further the idea that this is the greatest thing to ever happen and so that's the idea that marketing will latch on to.

Was Tland actually an expansion or was it more of a phase 2 of the original plans.

I believe that was the end of phase 1? Anyway, if it happens more than a year or two after opening, I'd definitely consider it an expansion.

IlikeDW

It's not a lie... from a certain point of view. I'm sure FLE will cost more than the Tomorrowland expansion if you don't adjust for inflation (not sure what happens if you do). That point of view helps further the idea that this is the greatest thing to ever happen and so that's the idea that marketing will latch on to.

I believe that was the end of phase 1? Anyway, if it happens more than a year or two after opening, I'd definitely consider it an expansion.

Don't disagree, just curious how much was known and planned when WDW opened and just not done or if they came up with it after opening.

Horizonsfan

Don't disagree, just curious how much was known and planned when WDW opened and just not done or if they came up with it after opening.

There's this guy named Martin Smith:lookaroun and he put out a pretty good 3 part tribute to TL and its history. I'd suggest checking it out.

CountryBearFan

I also disagree with TP2000's post, which I think I was way too harsh, insultive and uninformed. The Fantasyland expansion IS bigger than the "completion" of Tomorrowland in the mid-70's, so the Fantasyland expansion has every right to be refferred to as the Magic Kingdom's biggest expansion ever.

The opening day Tomorrowland does seem like it was just a "Phase 1", with other attractions scheduled to open in the later years. Kinda like how DL's Tomorrowland wasn't totally finished in time for their opening day. :p

So, for this one, it's best to leave TDO, and WDI, alone.

tl77

The funny thing about the Fantasyland Expansion is that it they keep saying "it will double the size of Fantasyland" which is true if you're talking about the current size of FL, but really when they're finshed "expanding" it, it's going to be the exact same size it was in the 90's when "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "Mickey's Birthdayland" were both still open :lookaroun :ROFLOL:

disney fan 13

The funny thing about the Fantasyland Expansion is that it they keep saying "it will double the size of Fantasyland" which is true if you're talking about the current size of FL, but really when they're finshed "expanding" it, it's going to be the exact same size it was in the 90's when "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "Mickey's Birthdayland" were both still open :lookaroun :ROFLOL:

lol :ROFLOL:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I dont recall birthdayland, but if it was the precursor to toon town, then the expansion back to include the Beaty and the Beast area would make this expansion larger?:shrug:

AEfx

I dont recall birthdayland, but if it was the precursor to toon town, then the expansion back to include the Beaty and the Beast area would make this expansion larger?:shrug:

It was the original name of the "temporary" area, for Mickey's 60th. Then it was Starland, before it finally landed on Toon Town. The houses and such were there from the beginning, but Barnstormer was added later.

As to the topic, TLM undoubtedly has more capacity than 20K, so if you are counting acreage...maybe it was more. But we have not seen an expansion like this in modern times. If the early 70's thing truly was bigger, it also was just a few years after opening and perhaps is counted among that. Who knows. And, frankly, who cares, LOL.

We are getting two new rides (yes, losing one, my favorite actually - but even I can admit it certainly wasn't the slam-bang attraction people came for, it always has no line when other surrounding rides are 30+ min), a TON of atmosphere, and I'm very excited about even the B&TB restaurant.

What I think people keep missing on this topic is the PLACEMAKING that is FINALLY happening to our Fantasyland. It was almost embarrassing before. The whole Renaissance fair thing was tacky to begin with, and wasn't terribly well done even if you like that theme. I was so amazed at Disneyland's Fantasyland - you felt like you were exploring and not going down the carnival lane. We will finally have more of that feeling that Fantasyland is a place in and of itself, not just the tar and plain white overhangs in between the rides.

It's funny, because Fantasyland SHOULD be my favorite place in the park. The dark rides there are what my love of Disney is all about. But I find myself going there, riding the rides a few times, then settling somewhere else to relax (Liberty Square, Tomorrowland). There just isn't anything attractive about it aside from the rides itself.

All changing now. :) We should have the #1 Fantasyland after this is done, and then hopefully they will start gutting Pan and bring the DLP tech over here and really knock our socks off.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Actually, pretty much the entire BatB area was backstage space when 20,000 Leagues was there, you can see this in the Google Earth images from 2002. Also, 20K took up a lot of space for relatively low capacity, so for the same space the FL expansion will offer more guest capacity.

Dan

Goofy6294

Original Poster

That works out to about a 12% increase, right? I'm basing that off of a current capacity of 40,000...

TP2000

Did some Googling this evening, and came up with some amazing capacity numbers. The Tomorrowland expansion of 1975 (Space Mountain & Carousel of Progress in January '75, and the PeopleMover in July '75) added some truly massive ride capacity to the park that year. It helps that the Carousel Theater and PeopleMover ride systems are the two highest ride capacity systems they've ever built, but still, the Tomorrowland expansion of '75 was truly epic.

Sit down before you read these numbers...

Tomorrowland Expansion 1975 Hourly Capacity
Space Mountain - 1800 riders per hour
Carousel of Progress - 3600 riders per hour
PeopleMover - 4000 riders per hour
Total 1975 Expansion = 9400 riders per hour

Versus what we already know about the Fantasyland Expansion of 2012-14 based on the existing DCA version of Mermaid, the doubling of the current Dumbo capacity, a guesstimate of the mine train, and a subtraction for the closure of Snow White's Scary Adventures.

Fantasyland Expansion 2012-14 Hourly Capacity
Little Mermaid - 2000 riders per hour
Dumbo (the gain of one additional spinner) - 600 riders per hour
Mine Train - 1200 riders per hour
Snow White's Scary Adventures - Subract 700 riders per hour
Total 2012-14 Expansion = 3100 riders per hour

It's roughly one-third the ride capacity they added to Tomorrowland back in '75. Amazing, isn't it? :animwink:

ob1thx1138

Did some Googling this evening, and came up with some amazing capacity numbers. The Tomorrowland expansion of 1975 (Space Mountain & Carousel of Progress in January '75, and the PeopleMover in July '75) added some truly massive ride capacity to the park that year. It helps that the Carousel Theater and PeopleMover ride systems are the two highest ride capacity systems they've ever built, but still, the Tomorrowland expansion of '75 was truly epic.

Sit down before you read these numbers...

Tomorrowland Expansion 1975 Hourly Capacity
Space Mountain - 1800 riders per hour
Carousel of Progress - 3600 riders per hour
PeopleMover - 4000 riders per hour
Total 1975 Expansion = 9400 riders per hour

Versus what we already know about the Fantasyland Expansion of 2012-14 based on the existing DCA version of Mermaid, the doubling of the current Dumbo capacity, a guesstimate of the mine train, and a subtraction for the closure of Snow White's Scary Adventures.

Fantasyland Expansion 2012-14 Hourly Capacity
Little Mermaid - 2000 riders per hour
Dumbo (the gain of one additional spinner) - 600 riders per hour
Mine Train - 1200 riders per hour
Snow White's Scary Adventures - Subract 700 riders per hour
Total 2012-14 Expansion = 3100 riders per hour

It's roughly one-third the ride capacity they added to Tomorrowland back in '75. Amazing, isn't it? :animwink:

was that considered an expansion or just a delayed opening? I guess the question is if those areas were planned prior to opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom