5th Park Opening in Time for WDW's 50th (Jim Hill)

TP2000

It's perfect fodder for his "throw some crap on a wall" style, as no one will be able to prove him wrong for a decade, and my guess is by then he thinks he'll be the King of All Media, since he has seemingly abandoned his website to do the sparse stuff on Huffington (my, how the Huff Post has gone down down down the drain since it was sold - I still can't figure out how they have credited Hill-billy as an "award winning writer" LOL). There he can get away with more fluff and BS because his audience aren't the Disney experts most people who come through these parts are.

Bingo! We have a winner.

This 5th Park rumor currently means nothing, it is currently nothing, and I have a strong hunch it's been entirely fabricated within the walls of Mr. Hill's cabin in New Hampshire as he readies for winter hibernation.

Disney has no plan for the 50th yet. Heck, I can gaurantee that there's a bit of a frenzy in TDO's offices on this Friday afternoon as they scramble to finish the plans for the 40th they pulled out of thin air a few weeks ago. They have not given one single thought to the 50th yet. They'll get around to that in 2019, if we're lucky. If we are unlucky, TDO will get around to it in early 2021.

And Mr. Hill has decreed that there will be "new parades and shows" in all the parks by then? And that there will be a fifth park by then too? The new parade thing proves Hilly has got no idea what he's talking about (again), as parades and shows get even a shorter development span than a new park or attraction would, so that's stuff they would start thinking about in 2019 for a 2021 debut.

This is much ado about absolutely nothing. A cynic would assume this was a desperate grab for some weekend traffic to a dying website, and nothing more. I would side with the cynic on this one.

uklad79

I would prefer to see a third waterpark first as in summer they are often packed out. Plus it would require much less investment.

What happened to those rumors of smaller niche experiences? Something along the Discovery Cove theme?

Maybe the next park could take on Seaworld?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
A lot of WDW's problems come from over-extension. I say plow the studios, save a few shows and attractions and distribute them around the rest of the property. I think the show quality and maintenance would approve a lot with contraction as opposed to theme park expansion. Then, they could concentrate on having a wider variety of things to do on the rest of the property.

TP2000

Or maybe this'll be a "Just kidding!" moment like when they announced Night Kingdom right before the economy tanked and we never heard about it again.

"They" never announced Night Kingdom. And by "they", I assume you mean Disney.

Night Kingdom was a concept that only Jim Hill spoke about publicly. Night Kingdom and the Night Kingdom Saga was a tale entirely distributed by Jim Hill and his website. No one from Disney ever mentioned it once. Interestingly, none of the other well-known bloggers or website celebs (Al Lutz, etc.) ever got close to the Night Kingdom topic, they wouldn't even touch it. It was entirely a Jim Hill property, and it never came to be.

Night Kingdom may have existed as an advanced concept, it may not have gotten past Blue Sky or the doodlings on a cocktail napkin, but only Jim Hill mentioned it publicly. He actually mentioned it over and over, and claimed it was about to be announced for more than a year. The bank panic and financial collapse during September-November of 2008 provided sufficient cover for Jim Hill to claim "They changed their mind" when the announcement that Hill claimed was imminent never arrived.

But the Walt Disney Company never once said anything publicly about a 5th park called Night Kingdom.

Magenta Panther

I agree that Disney should concentrate a majority of their effort on refurbishing and expanding the old parks to take them past their former glory and into something even better.
As for a 5th park? The Star Wars idea might draw a large crowd, but a whole park dedicated to it? I think it would be better to expand the Star Wars attraction in DHS to make it a Star Wars themed land, thus giving DHS something completely new and amazing. :shrug: That's just my opinion though.

It's an opinion I share. The money would be better spent on a radical refurbishment of Peter Pan's Flight, Jungle Cruise, and Philharmagic, plus a good E-ticket dark ride based on a little-known Disney film called "THE LION KING". The Star Wars attraction at WDW is enough IMO. I haven't yet seen the new version but I hear it's awesome. But that's ENOUGH. I do not want WDW to become, as I stated on another thread, a park with some Disney in it but comprised mostly of stuff created by other studios. I don't want WDW to turn into another Universal. What would be special about it then?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
As bad as this sounds, this would probably make LOTS of money! :ROFLOL:

It would also fill magic up with too many posts to count. Servers would be shut down. The message board potential of this alone makes the announcement worth it.

WDWmazprty

It would also fill magic up with too many posts to count. Servers would be shut down. The message board potential of this alone makes the announcement worth it.

It would definitely beat the Avatar thread in speed of quantity of posts!:ROFLOL:

KCheatle

Disney's Space Frontier???

I just don't see Disney making a whole park based on the Marvel characters - it would be a like a 6-Flags - tacky. There is not enough material there to satisfy all generations.

That being said, if there was to be a fifth park, you have to look at the 4 current parks, each with its own over-arching grand scheme: MK = fantasy lands, Epcot= the world, both present and future, HS = hollywood and glamour, AK = animals (prehistoric, current and fantasy).

If they make a 5th park, it will have to be based on a BIG theme - I say they go with a Space themed park -can you imagine! Think of all the imagineers could do with "space" as their theme! They could have attractions based on star wars for the adults, Buzz Lighyear for the kids, gravity defying rides for the teenagers, etc. It could get into a more techy feel and include themes from Tron. I know it would be infringing on Tomorrowland a bit, Mission Space and Star Wars already at HS but, the ideas with space are limitless. And, it's a big enough theme to interest all sorts of people and have attractions for all age groups. Heck, with space, you get "dark" and it could even include some type of villain section???

But what would the icon be???

I'm not holding my breath for a 5th gate, nor would I want one if it's going to be watered down.

I thought I had read countless times that DAK didn't do what they had expected for attendance numbers. I'm sure if this is the case, they're not going to be quick to repeat that "mistake", unless they have something truly fabulous up their sleeves.

As far as a 5th gate opening for the 50th, I guess I could see it, but they made enormous money for the Happiest Celebration with just the new attractions, etc. Planning a whole new park is a HUGE undertaking and I don't really think that timing it with the 50th would be their first (or 10th) priority.

I'd love to see a 5th park if they open a good one. More Disney is good in my book. I think it probably WOULD create longer stays for some people, getting them to come back because they felt that hadn't seen it all, or take longer trips because it takes longer to see it all. Then again to this day I know people who go to WDW for 3 days and spend all of their time at MK and EPCOT and don't even know about the other parks.

BrerFrog

MK is going to be looking great after the FLE. AK will also be amazing after Avatar comes around.

So as long as they fix what needs to be fixed at EPCOT and DHS before going for a 5th park, I am all for it!

Lee

Adventurer
Watch how I go out on a limb here..,

No new park opening at WDW on or before 2021.
Maybe....maybe...a small, limited access gate of some sort...but even that is quite unlikely.

Disday

Dark Kingdom - sometime after Avatar. Don't expect an all thrill ride "Six Flags-type" park. It will be a well-themed "Dark Magic Kingdom type" park with Disney Villains.:)

saxamoophone

Dark Kingdom - sometime after Avatar. Don't expect an all thrill ride "Six Flags-type" park. It will be a well-themed "Dark Magic Kingdom type" park with Disney Villains.:)

I admit I bought Epic Mickey but haven't opened it yet (yieks!) but I'd love the idea of seeing a "Mirror Universe" Magic Kingdom where the Villains "won." I know they are starting to do that in the real MK, but extend it to a whole park..heck yeah!

rsoxguy

Upon reading Mr. Hill's article, my initial thought was that he started on the wine tasting before his arrival at EPCOT. A fifth park within the coming ten years makes no real sense to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom