AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Eh, not thrilled with this idea but I also have never seen the movie nor have any desire too. Just out of curiousity, as some one that knows nothing about AVATAR, as a movie, how does this fit in with Animal Kingdom? That said, would it stop me from checking it out when built? No, but I wish Disney would have come up with something else. I guess you take what you can get.

Kamikaze

An entire land is about to be built for $400 million?

Really?

Little Mermaid was $100 million. That's one single, very simple ride.

You're getting all worked up over something that will never happen.

$400 million from WDW today will get you one ride, one shop, one attraction.

Don't set yourselves up for the heartbreak people.

Supposedly the FLE budget is $400-$500m.

bferrara16

Since the only way to judge popularity is the box office, I, for one, cannot wait for the retheming of the Liberty Square Riverboat to Titanic

MKCP 1985

Is anyone else impressed at how well Disney kept the wraps on this announcement until they were ready?

I am as excited about the surprise of a big announcement by Disney not previously leaked to the interwebz as the content itself! Who knew that could happen in 2011?

:sohappy:

DocMcHulk

Original Poster
Via InsideTheMagic:
March 2010 Patent application-
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2011/09/flying2-550x593.jpg

Thrill

If done right, this could be incredible. Makes reasonable sense, could make for an amazing themed area, like most of the rest of the park, and has potential for a couple of good attractions.

Hopefully this can add the capacity to go back and fix some other mistakes. Like Dino-rama, and eventually fixing the Yeti. XD My only issue is that I wonder where it is. I can't see them getting rid of Festival of the Lion King, since it is a really good show, so unless that gets moved, Camp Minnie Mickey is out.

It's got to be a Potter Swatter, but as a franchise, Star Wars would be a better match for Harry Potter. I'm thinking the ability to get something new into Animal Kingdom was the difference maker here.

An entire land is about to be built for $400 million?

Really?

Little Mermaid was $100 million. That's one single, very simple ride.

You're getting all worked up over something that will never happen.

$400 million from WDW today will get you one ride, one shop, one attraction.

Don't set yourselves up for the heartbreak people.

I've read that Harry Potter was budgeted at about $175 million, and went slightly over. Even at $250 million plus the existing infrastructure that was already there, it's possible to build a land rivaling Harry Potter for $400 million. As long as Disney can be as efficient with money as Universal Creative. Which, from what I can see, they aren't being with Fantasyland. XD

CLandrum

Really!? Well your missing out and I highly advise to build up the courage and go atleast once. Because it is, from an Imagineering standpoint, the greatest ride at WDW. The entire ride is perfect.

Sorry Scuttle, I can't handle drops. I have tried work up the courage but it doesn't seem to come. I would love to. I can't even handle the kiddy mexican jumping bean ride at my local amusment park. I cried.

NYwdwfan

Like others, not a fan of the movie, however, this should being an entirely new demographic into the park (and further, into the resorts as a whole). My 14 year old nephew has no interest in going to WDW but thinks Avatar is the best movie ever. More teenagers asking to go to WDW = more guests = more $$ for TDO = more cool things for the rest of us. Sounds good to me.

MAF

I agree and I think that is the important thing to keep in mind here. This is a theme park that desperately NEEDS more capacity. And if you like the movie or not doesn't impact if you enjoy the ride. I think this is a big step for WDW!

...of course it could be worse, we could have gotten something like Twilight. :zipit:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is anyone else impressed at how well Disney kept the wraps on this announcement until they were ready?

I am as excited about the surprise of a big announcement by Disney not previously leaked to the interwebz as the content itself! Who knew that could happen in 2011?

:sohappy:
I think that is the most surprising thing about this announcement.

bferrara16

Have you had a chance to looks at this weekends Box Office numbers?

3D is still going pretty strong...

Let's not attribute the film's re-release success too much on the upgraded technology.

Maybe, I don't know, its success is because its a good story. :shrug:

If they re-released Gigli in 3D do you think it would do better or worse than the original numbers?

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I really did not except as much negativity as is coming out right now. If WDW was giving away free gold bars I guess many on this site would be complaining about how heave they are, why is there not a monorail to carry them to my car, or why could they not just give a butterbeer instead (because I am just going to sell my gold and go to Universal anyway). Last week Disney was too cheap to do anything at all and how they are spending millions but spending on a addition based on the wrong movie. Let’s wait and see what this is all going to be about.

JustInTime

...of course it could be worse, we could have gotten something like Twilight. :zipit:

I was thinking about how awful that would be as I was riding the train around MK yesterday. I am SURE somebody will try to get Twilight. I just hope it's Six Flags or something.

blueboxdoctor

Eh, not thrilled with this idea but I also have never seen the movie nor have any desire too. Just out of curiousity, as some one that knows nothing about AVATAR, as a movie, how does this fit in with Animal Kingdom? That said, would it stop me from checking it out when built? No, but I wish Disney would have come up with something else. I guess you take what you can get.

It fits because they originally had AK designed with a fantasy animal section (like dragons and the like), but they ran out of money at that point. Now they are basically doing it, but with more modern fantasy creatures (though, dragons are much cooler).

stitchcastle

Good thing the movie's available in 2D, no?

too bad the only reason people saw the first one was because of the 3d. That's also the only reason it's even the highest grossing movie, the jacked up 3d prices. If 3d is dying then the movies themselves will have nothing to hide behind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom