AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

captainkidd

The entire theme of this movie was conservation. How does this not fit in at AK? Besides they have loads more room at AK.

Because though that's part of the theme at Animal Kingdom, most people don't associate conservation with the park. They associate animals with the park. There's plenty of room at DHS. They don't even use half of the space they have now.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Not a lot. Avatar ain't no Harry Potter.

You're right...It's better by all box office accounts. People saw that movie repeatedly.

With another 2 movies on deck, I'm betting that many more will learn about the Avatar universe. The world will continue to gain depth, which leads to more possiblities for the new expansion for years to come.

To me: The haters are already boiling into a few main arguments:

1)Want to keep all park rides Disney Specific (If Disney had done Avatar, would you still be complaining, or saying "it took long enough?")

2) Those that simply don't like the movie. I'll group the "Harry Potter is the best and nothing can compare" in this as well. This is a matter of personal preference.

However, it's insane to think that the highest grossing movie of all time is going to have its sequel fail. This franchise is going to grown and expand for a long time.

stitchcastle

This.

Why they haven't done this yet is mind boggling.

I think Universal should retaliate with a whole land dedicated to Twilight. You could have vampires walking around that sparkle when it's sunny outside. Be a cool special effect.

heh, Universal's got this in the bag, all they have to do is expand The Wizarding World and add a big E-ticket and then create a whole Transformers land to the other gate.

No matter how you put it, people will flock to see Harry Potter and Transformers, as opposed to the handful of people who'd want to go see Avatar.

JustInTime

Compare those numbers with the numbers for the FLE.

People are setting themselves up for a major disappointment with this.

They might be spending a billion dollars worldwide, they're not spending even half that in Florida.

This won't be another gate, it won't even be a full "land". You'll get one major ride and some shops at most.

Maybe.

Have you thought about one positive thing to say in this thread? You are whining that people are setting themselves up for disappointment, but what do you know? Are you a secret insider that has more information? If you do, please let us know. And for the record, clue us in on any unannounced attractions that you seem to know a lot about. You should have let it be known sooner. But We actually have an announcement saying that we are getting a new land directly form the source. So don't blame us if we are excited. Perhaps you would be more happy if you allowed yourself to be open-minded? Or you could just go back to sleep, monk. :rolleyes:

Scuttle

Compare those numbers with the numbers for the FLE.

People are setting themselves up for a major disappointment with this.

They might be spending a billion dollars worldwide, they're not spending even half that in Florida.

This won't be another gate, it won't even be a full "land". You'll get one major ride and some shops at most.

Maybe.

I disagree with this. I don't think James Cameron would have said " I'm chomping at the bit to start work with Disney's legendary Imagineers to bring our 'Avatar' world to life". This thing sounds like it's going to be huge and sounds like they are going all out.

DocMcHulk

Original Poster
Kids don't know the film exists because Disney won't release it on video. How is that anywhere near a valid comparison?

He's making the point that even if the original source of the ride (like SOng of the South) isnt well known or popular, that doesnt mean it wont draw a crowd. Few people know what the "Twilight Zone" is, but Tower of Terror is popular because it is a great ride.

GLaDOS

This is a great addition to WDW.

That being said, people saying this is bigger than the Potter acquisition are jumping a little overboard. Yes, Avatar made a crap load of money. But it comes far from fostering the intense passion and love that people feel for the Harry Potter franchise.

But still, a great addition to WDW, and something that was desperately needed. I just worry that the proper amount of money will not be allotted here for the project, due to TDO's reputation. This needs more money thrown at it than the FLE if they expect to blow people away.

nerdboyrockstar

heh, Universal's got this in the bag, all they have to do is expand The Wizarding World and add a big E-ticket and then create a whole Transformers land to the other gate.

No matter how you put it, people will flock to see Harry Potter and Transformers, as opposed to the handful of people who'd want to go see Avatar.

A handful of people who'd want to go see Avatar? Delusional. :lol:

MAF

Can't say I'm excited to hear this. I didn't enjoy the film at all and found it to be ridiculously over hyped. I'd much rather see them develop in-house properties, though I suppose this must make business sense at some level.

I couldn't agree more. The movie was way overhyped and frankly I thought it was boring. I know Disney thinks this will be the answer to Harry Potter, but I just wish they chose a franchise that I actually cared about. Oh well, I'm sure they'll come up with something "neat". :rolleyes:

WDWmazprty

Kids don't know the film exists because Disney won't release it on video. How is that anywhere near a valid comparison?

Exactly! I have a video of Song of the South and I showed it to my daughters and they loved it! If only Disney would release it, to think how many new fans of a great classic they would have.

The same sort if thing will happen with Avatar. Once its in the parks, a lot more people will enjoy the movie or at least warm up to it if they didnt like it before.

redkoala245

YESSS!!! Finally something good and reasonable to add. :sohappy:

Disney is connected with the creators of Avatar? Not sure about that but this news is still amazing!

julia_

I don't really care about Harry Potter, Transformers or even AVATAR, I'm just really excited that Animal Kingdom is finally getting a much needed expansion...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom