AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Brian Noble

He's making the point that even if the original source of the ride (like SOng of the South) isnt well known or popular, that doesnt mean it wont draw a crowd.
Not just "draw a crowd", but also "inspire a great attraction and immersive environment."

And that's why this:
it's a simple matter of fact that Harry Potter as a property is a billion times more popular and loved than Avatar could ever hope to be.
doesn't really matter. If it did, Splash would never have been built.

durangojim

It's different because those Dragons and unicorns and griffins were fictional creatures that have shaped human history and mythology for thousands of years without having to be real.

This contemporary storyteller's imaginary animals are not even a big internet presence let alone be the focus of an entire culture.

But at the time they were created, they were no more important or ubiquitous than Avatar creatures are today. Also, the creatures in Avatar are mere extensions of those stories, as were the stories of Star Wars, King Arthur, etc. There are very few, if any, truly fresh ideas anymore.

Brian Noble

yes ONE attraction, not an entire land.
Realistically, that's all Potter is, too.

A great attraction, plus a nice enclosing environment (shops, restaurants, etc.) that evokes the sense of place of the films, would be a strong addition.

JustInTime

I am not a fan of this...

I think it would be a mistake putting in near asia. Pandora would flow better into africa. And Lion King could be moved to Africa. That means nothing would get torn down and we would get better theming. Plus Minnie Mickey has more room. We could get that Avatar World of Color type attraction.

TinkerBell9988

I couldn't agree more. The movie was way overhyped and frankly I thought it was boring. I know Disney thinks this will be the answer to Harry Potter, but I just wish they chose a franchise that I actually cared about. Oh well, I'm sure they'll come up with something "neat". :rolleyes:

I just wish Disney's business strategy wasn't an answer to Harry Potter, but a revitalization of WDW as a whole, offering unique, original experiences like they had done years ago. Have times changed this much?

I have always been pretty excited for something like Beastly Kingdom... original, with no 'outside' movie franchises associated with it. Oh, well! :shrug:

stitchcastle

Not just "draw a crowd", but also "inspire a great attraction and immersive environment."

And that's why this:

doesn't really matter. If it did, Splash would never have been built.

But you're talking about one attraction (which at the time was the first big e-ticket addition to the Magic Kingdom in a long while) versus and entire land, which mind you is about to be built with the intent that it could compete with the Harry Potter land.

MrMorrowTom

I'm not a huge fan of Avatar, but I do believe this is huge for Disney.

Perfect Fit for Animal Kingdom. I can see them doing a lot with this.
People saying it doesn't fit in the animal kingdom. But a time machine to pick up an extinct dinosaur or escaping from a mythological yeti does?

Can't please everyone.

DocMcHulk

Original Poster
Some say this doesnt have a lot of "staying power" after the movies are over. I wouldn't be shocked to see an Avatar TV show/cartoon. Make the show a little more kid friendly, and there you go... Avatar land becomes a draw for kids.

JustInTime

Does this mean that they can finally close down E:E to fix the damn Yeti? :shrug:

I hear your growls are realistic enough that they might just use you.:ROFLOL:

Edit: We should start a tally on your complaints. I'd hate to be your server. Official MAF complaints: lllll lllll lllll lllll l

Brian Noble

I should get back to work. Y'all have fun navel-gazing this one.

But, it strikes me that only the Disneyana community could have a violently negative reaction to (a) securing the global theme park rights to the highest-grossing film of all time and (b) promising to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to add something inspired by that film to one of the parks to get started.

Honestly, there's just no pleasing some people.

But you're talking about one attraction (which at the time was the first big e-ticket addition to the Magic Kingdom in a long while) versus and entire land, which mind you is about to be built with the intent that it could compete with the Harry Potter land.
Right. As I wrote above (and which may have crossed your post in the aether): one big e-ticket plus supporting infrastructure and an enclosing environment is pretty much all there is to the Potterverse, too.

So far.

Epic Epcot

If I were drinking something, I would've spittaked. I'm by no means of a fan of Avatar (Ferngully 2.0 :fork:), but I'll concede that it was a visually stunning movie that'll make for an awesome land, if done right. Now whether or not it belongs in DAK is a different story, but it's been in desperate need for any kind of expansion.

bferrara16

Posts from the Future:

What the Heck?!?! I waited all day at the bus stop for the bus to Avatarland and it never came!!??!?! I am writing a complaint letter to Disney. Next time I'll go to Harry Potter Land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom