Oct 1st - special surprises at MK?

menamechris

The problem for me is that while capacity was certainly an issue in the Magic Kingdom, it didn't seem to be the most dire need. I really think that this expansion will result in the Magic Kingdom not seeing a substantial addition until the 50th Anniversary. Frankly, I'm satisfied with this provided that attention is paid to the other 3 parks in the 2014-2021 range.

Unfortunately, I am not holding my breath. It's been 20 years since Splash - and that was the last significant addition to Magic Kingdom before the FLE. So I am thinking the company thinks the FLE is good for at LEAST that long....maybe even longer. That's kind of my issue. For as long as the company is going to want to milk this - and probably be the excuse not to do much else for years to come - I would have liked to see something more exciting in the plans.

RSoxNo1

Unfortunately, I am not holding my breath. It's been 20 years since Splash - and that was the last significant addition to Magic Kingdom before the FLE. So I am thinking the company thinks the FLE is good for at LEAST that long....maybe even longer. That's kind of my issue. For as long as the company is going to want to milk this - and probably be the excuse not to do much else for years to come - I would have liked to see something more exciting in the plans.

At this point though I'm not sure that the parks need for a major E-Ticket outweigh the greater needs of all of the other parks. It's unrealistic to expect them to be aggressive with attraction additions. Realistically I would expect two significant additions between 2014-2021 and then hopefully multiple projects for the 50th.

TP2000

Great points here about the lack of E-Tickets not just at Magic Kingdom, but all over WDW.

E-Tickets aside, and it's obvious we won't be hearing any of those announcements on October 1st., this little video showed up on the Internets today from Disneyland's 40th Anniversary. There's no Indiana Jones Adventure or a buried Time Castle in WDW's future, but they could at least do the same type of stuff on the actual day that Disneyland did. Make it a big deal! And the balloon arches over Main Street looked neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co8XqZaGPJM

I'm not exactly sure why Randy Travis showed up on top of the Matterhorn to sing Happy Birthday Disneyland, but the thought was nice. :lol:

boufa

This is the perfect example of the kind of thinking that leads to disappointment. FLE is UNDER CONSTRUCTION yet is seems as though you are taking it a a) not very good and b) and done deal, so what are they going to do now. You will not see anything more exciting for the MK, possibly ever. They clearly are uninterested in building any attractions that are not aimed at being tame enough to include most of the family. No one knows for sure yet, but the dwarfs coaster could be thunder isn in intensity. They are saying between thunder and barnstormer, but that does not mean it will be exactly center. If you want Everest or RnRCC you will be disappointed. If you want a fun ride, then you may be o.k.

jt04

Great points here about the lack of E-Tickets not just at Magic Kingdom, but all over WDW.

E-Tickets aside, and it's obvious we won't be hearing any of those announcements on October 1st., this little video showed up on the Internets today from Disneyland's 40th Anniversary. There's no Indiana Jones Adventure or a buried Time Castle in WDW's future, but they could at least do the same type of stuff on the actual day that Disneyland did. Make it a big deal! And the balloon arches over Main Street looked neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co8XqZaGPJM

I'm not exactly sure why Randy Travis showed up on top of the Matterhorn to sing Happy Birthday Disneyland, but the thought was nice. :lol:

Although I am not anticipating any major announcements such as a new E-Ticket, I am not as pessimistic as you.

There are some very curious additions happening within the FLE beyond what has been revealed so far and whatever these are they can't keep them hidden for much longer. So I think it is possible they will have some news for us soon. Obviously more details about the interactive game will be released soon.

Also, it has to be kept in mind that Imagineering has been very busy with DCA , HKDL, the FLE (WDI is largely through with these) and Blue Sky-ing the new park in China. It seems to me though there may be a window of opportunity to do some adds and plussing at WDW to carry the resort through the next several years before things gear up again for the 50th anniversay.

Bottom line, I do expect some news about the MK soon and even more news over the next year concerning DTD and the other WDW parks.

menamechris

This is the perfect example of the kind of thinking that leads to disappointment. FLE is UNDER CONSTRUCTION yet is seems as though you are taking it a a) not very good and b) and done deal, so what are they going to do now. You will not see anything more exciting for the MK, possibly ever. They clearly are uninterested in building any attractions that are not aimed at being tame enough to include most of the family. No one knows for sure yet, but the dwarfs coaster could be thunder isn in intensity. They are saying between thunder and barnstormer, but that does not mean it will be exactly center. If you want Everest or RnRCC you will be disappointed. If you want a fun ride, then you may be o.k.

I think you need to do some research. FLE is a done deal. Plans are finalized before construction. We know EXACTLY what the expansion consists of at this point. We know pretty much exactly what the mine coaster will be be (i.e. no or minimal height requirement, so a toddler can ride; no lifts, etc.). This isn't a matter of getting hopes up about what it can be as you are trying to suggest. It is saying that the biggest expansion in Magic Kingdom's history is giving us..well, not much. Nothing in MK is or should be the intensity of Everest or RnR - so I am not quite sure where you are going with that.... I live in Orlando - I can just as easily go to Universal for rollercoasters, so that isn't the issue for me. My opinion is that the amount of money, time and resources that are being put into this expansion are enormous, and I am not sure the payoff will be there in the end.

jt04

I think you need to do some research. FLE is a done deal. Plans are finalized before construction. We know EXACTLY what the expansion consists of at this point. We know pretty much exactly what the mine coaster will be be (i.e. no or minimal height requirement, so a toddler can ride; no lifts, etc.). This isn't a matter of getting hopes up about what it can be as you are trying to suggest. It is saying that the biggest expansion in Magic Kingdom's history is giving us..well, not much. Nothing in MK is or should be the intensity of Everest or RnR - so I am not quite sure where you are going with that.... I live in Orlando - I can just as easily go to Universal for rollercoasters, so that isn't the issue for me. My opinion is that the amount of money, time and resources that are being put into this expansion are enormous, and I am not sure the payoff will be there in the end.

Just because the plans may have been finalized that does not mean they have all been announced. There could be features that although not terribly expensive could be the kind of add that resonates with people. These hidden gems are more likely than not IMO. Though for those not in the target audience this might not be as celebrated. Lasseter gave a great explanation of this and you can see how successful this strategy has been for Disneyland.

I do agree though that you will never see another Alien Encounter type add at the MK. WDW has the luxury, by having 4 parks, to skew them towards older demogeaphics while making the MK a park geared toward younger families. That wouldn't mean the removal of BTMRR or SM but if they are going to add new thrills in the future they almost certainly would go to another park.

Lee

Adventurer
We know pretty much exactly what the mine coaster will be be (i.e. no or minimal height requirement, so a toddler can ride; no lifts, etc.).
What? There certainly are lifts on the ride. Two of them.
And I do expect a height requirement similar to Barnstormer/Goofini.

Nothing in MK is or should be the intensity of Everest or RnR....
I strongly disagree...but that's a whole other discussion.

Anyhow...they're calling 10/1 "Retro Day." Asking guests to dress like it's 1971. I'll pass...:rolleyes:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What? There certainly are lifts on the ride. Two of them.

I strongly disagree...but that's a whole other discussion.

Anyhow...they're calling 10/1 "Retro Day." Asking guests to dress like it's 1971. I'll pass...:rolleyes:
Agreed. I think I'll go with my new Serenity Valley shirt.

Lee

Adventurer
Agreed. I think I'll go with my new Serenity Valley shirt.

Yes! Shiny! Cool points to you, sir!

Me...I'll be in an Adventurers Club shirt, symbolically thumbing my nose at the powers that be. (Day before, I'm leaning towards my Alien Encounter shirt, for the same reason.:cool:)

menamechris

That would fall under a minimal height requirement, no? As far as the lifts, I thought I had read back when it was announced there wouldn't be any. But yay if there is. On point though - Thunder Mountain is pretty tame as far as rollercoasters go - and we don't expect it to be that thrilling...right? My impression has been that it will be a light little coast along the track that will make toddlers laugh and giggle..

cheezbat

Nothing in MK is or should be the intensity of Everest or RnR - so I am not quite sure where you are going with that.... I live in Orlando - I can just as easily go to Universal for rollercoasters, so that isn't the issue for me.

I don't agree with you here...I don't see why a bigger thrill ride CAN'T be placed in the Magic Kingdom. Why not? Because a two year old can't ride it? A two year old can't ride Space Mountain either so that's not the case...but I do agree that this seems to be Disney's mentality down here. They don't seem to WANT to put a thrill in MK. They normally place them in the other three parks because those are the parks that NEED big rides. None of them have the big attractions roster that the MK has. I personally would LOVE to see a big thrill ride added to MK, but I would also love to see a huge new dark ride on the scale and classiness of Pirates or Haunted Mansion. They just don't make rides like those anymore...well, at least not here in Florida.

TP2000

Yikes. :lookaroun

Really, they want folks to dress like its 1971? That wasn't a good look on anyone, quite frankly. 1961 is fantastic, and very "in" right now. (Hello Mad Men, have you met this Pan Am Stewardess?) And 1981 is even in with the college kids I've noticed wearing preppy stuff at the mall lately, which is funny because hipster 1981 took inspiration from 1961 after the wide and garish 1970's.

But 1971? That would have been fun to do around 1992, but it's no fun now. It's just not what the kids are doing, that's for sure, and I just spent an evening at South Coast Plaza, the SoCal mecca of hip style and the latest latest. Skinny ties, skinny jeans, slim skirts, little sweaters, teased yet surfer-ish hairdos, that's what the kids are wearing. And that's definitely not 1971.

But.... at least TDO is thinking. I can imagine that someone in TDO thought that was clever, and it doesn't cost them anything. It's just a shame that early 70's isn't more in fashion now. I wonder who they'll get to play along? :confused:

_Scar

Yikes. :lookaroun

Really, they want folks to dress like its 1971? That wasn't a good look on anyone, quite frankly. 1961 is fantastic, and very "in" right now. (Hello Mad Men, have you met this Pan Am Stewardess?) And 1981 is even in with the college kids I've noticed wearing preppy stuff at the mall lately, which is funny because hipster 1981 took inspiration from 1961 after the wide and garish 1970's.

But 1971? That would have been fun to do around 1992, but it's no fun now. It's just not what the kids are doing, that's for sure, and I just spent an evening at South Coast Plaza, the SoCal mecca of hip style and the latest latest. Skinny ties, skinny jeans, slim skirts, little sweaters, teased yet surfer-ish hairdos, that's what the kids are wearing. And that's definitely not 1971.

But.... at least TDO is thinking. I can imagine that someone in TDO thought that was clever, and it doesn't cost them anything. It's just a shame that early 70's isn't more in fashion now. I wonder who they'll get to play along? :confused:

Mad Men is getting closer to 71. It's in 66/67 right now. :p

jt04

I don't agree with you here...I don't see why a bigger thrill ride CAN'T be placed in the Magic Kingdom. Why not? Because a two year old can't ride it? A two year old can't ride Space Mountain either so that's not the case...but I do agree that this seems to be Disney's mentality down here. They don't seem to WANT to put a thrill in MK. They normally place them in the other three parks because those are the parks that NEED big rides. None of them have the big attractions roster that the MK has. I personally would LOVE to see a big thrill ride added to MK, but I would also love to see a huge new dark ride on the scale and classiness of Pirates or Haunted Mansion. They just don't make rides like those anymore...well, at least not here in Florida.

I doubt there is a rule they can't add thrill rides to the MK. Common sense dictates that to drive attendence at the other parks it is better to put any thrill ride resources there.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I doubt there is a rule they can't add thrill rides to the MK. Common sense dictates that to drive attendence at the other parks it is better to put any thrill ride resources there.

I would agree. When there are phased closings, more often than not, its MK phase closing before any of the other parks, except maybe for New Years Eve. Thats just from what I recall and not scientific or based on hard numbers in any form or fashion.

boufa

I would agree. When there are phased closings, more often than not, its MK phase closing before any of the other parks, except maybe for New Years Eve. Thats just from what I recall and not scientific or based on hard numbers in any form or fashion.

I recently heard an analysis of expansion ideas at WDW and it raised an interesting point. WDW is full. (Wait, don't hit reply yet!) They are getting over 40 million people a year. It would take a lot, I mean a huge lot to improve that number. Disney is trying to grow their business, and I honestly think that there is some merit to the idea that WDW has started to peak. Double the number of cruise ships and you could easily double the number of people cruising. Bring an entire new park to a foreign country, you could ad 15-20 million new guests each year. Even a 5th gate would not move the WDW attendance numbers much. You would have to spend 2 - 3 billion, and then only get a jump up from 40 million to 43 million?

Lets say for example that they added a 5th gate, and they do get 5 - 10 million more people a year... I wouldn't want to go. Any idea how packed the MK would be. Sure people might skip AK, of DHS, but every one of those addition people would spend at least 1 day at MK. Could MK add 20% to its crowds and not crumble under the extra pressure. Adding to another park other than MK might add days to average stay, or (more importantly) spread the crowds throughout the resort. We will see an AK expansion, redo, when they get to the point where they are desperate to draw attendance off MK.

They are so saturated now, that most people who have any interest in going and are financially capable, go. There are some fence sitters, maybe considering other places for a year, or maybe think that they have seen it and don't need to go back. Those people are the increase that FLE will bring in. A single new awesome ride might not be as successful at driving the numbers in the same way.

(don't click reply yet!) There is an argument that to stay at the top WDW has to grow, or it will lose those who already go, they get bored, or lose interest, and decide to try something else. They could actually shrink and lose some of that 40 million. Your right! BUT from the way that Disney is acting, they don't yet seem to feel that is an issue right now... and I sort of agree, but the day will come when they build to keep the crowds, rather than grow the crowds.... you may now flame away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom