Test Track refurb???

celluloid

Whats wrong with the woman and the pre-show video other than the outdated vehicle models and graphics?

Nothing much to me. To me it is one of the less dated ones besides those things you mentioned. Not a lot to it, but it does the job.

Also, this may of already been discussed and pointed out so I apologize if so but I remember reading in more than one place that the vehicles were labeled with an estimated life span of about 100 million miles. I am no good at math but since those same things stated that they run about 50,000 miles a year..and considering how long it has been open that would line up fairly well to need new vehicles for the attraction to be well over halfway and close enough in other words for them to maybe invest and getting all new vehicles on the course now.

thelookingglass

Nothing much to me. To me it is one of the less dated ones besides those things you mentioned. Not a lot to it, but it does the job.
I agree, they could easily just replace the car footage and "computer" grid screens and keep the rest and it would be fine.

Though if some of these rumors in this thread are true, its getting a new theme and story, so if that is true, then I guess the whole video would be replaced.

SDav10495

I remember this now. Good call, man.

I sincerely hope they put some sets showing the early days/creation of automobiles, ala WOM, somewhere in the ride.

I'd applaud this for sure, though somehow I think it won't happen. Still, if the above rumor is correct (and even if there is no historical throwback a la WoM), this would appear to be a major step in the right direction for the attraction and a remedy for what's always been its biggest problem.

I've always enjoyed Test Track, but the whole "testing" conceit, while fun and a natural fit for a theme park ride, is so mundane. I'm not drawn to a place called Future World because I'm dying to see what happens inside a GM testing facility. I'm drawn to Future World because I want to be awed, inspired, reassured about what's to come. If Test Track 2.0 is indeed to focus on cutting edge (or even imagined) automotive technologies, even if that theme is no more than an overlay on top of the existing thrill ride, it will at least mark the return of forward thinking to that corner of Future World East. That's good news for Epcot, and frankly it's good news for GM--if they're (astoundingly) going to continue their sponsorship, they might as well take this opportunity to show that they have big ideas for the next few decades of carmaking. I'm not expecting wide-eyed futurism circa 1982, but better to have 10 million people a year associating GM with innovation and optimism than with a hellish maze of car crash fake-outs, don't you think?

RSoxNo1

There will be a change in the pre-show. The guy that plays Bill McKim (seen below as David Letterman):

49397_1245332520.jpg

Will be replaced with this guy (seen below as Jay Leno):
MV5BMTk1NzUxMjY1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTU3MTEz._V1._SX432_SY500_.jpg

After a bunch of fans unnecessarily praise this move they'll replace the guy that looks like Jay Leno with this guy:
FlamingC.jpg

However, people won't know what to make of this guy and then the guy that looks like Jay Leno will return.

NoChesterHester

There will be a change in the pre-show. The guy that plays Bill McKim (seen below as David Letterman):

49397_1245332520.jpg

Will be replaced with this guy (seen below as Jay Leno):
MV5BMTk1NzUxMjY1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTU3MTEz._V1._SX432_SY500_.jpg

After a bunch of fans unnecessarily praise this move they'll replace the guy that looks like Jay Leno with this guy:
FlamingC.jpg

However, people won't know what to make of this guy and then the guy that looks like Jay Leno will return.

Great post.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
The area with the cars and gift shop had filthy carpet. The whole ride had the ick factor in April. A complete overhaul would be great but I'd be happy with clean carpets and freshly upholstered seats in the cars.

castevens

Also, this may of already been discussed and pointed out so I apologize if so but I remember reading in more than one place that the vehicles were labeled with an estimated life span of about 100 million miles. I am no good at math but since those same things stated that they run about 50,000 miles a year..and considering how long it has been open that would line up fairly well to need new vehicles for the attraction to be well over halfway and close enough in other words for them to maybe invest and getting all new vehicles on the course now.

2 years = 100,000 miles. 20 years = 1 million miles. 200 years = 10 million miles. 2,000 years = 100 million miles.

Did Jesus ride Test Track?

celluloid

2 years = 100,000 miles. 20 years = 1 million miles. 200 years = 10 million miles. 2,000 years = 100 million miles.

Did Jesus ride Test Track?

Haha. That was some terrible missing information in my part.

And I doubt it, his quality taste and style were much more in tune to something like World of Motion and old EPCOT than in dire need of refurbishment Epcot.

Prototype82

I've heard this rumor. Future World needs some love. Sure Energy and Imagination need it tons more, but Test Track is the most popularly frequented attraction there. It's deserving and in need of this.

MissMorrow

Test Track has always been one of my favorites, so I certainly hope this is true. So long as there is no Cars overlay I'll be happy!

NoChesterHester

I agree with this, but that's saying a lot because TT seems 5 years outdated to me. Epcot is a theme park lost in time, mainly FW.

Epcot is and always will be my favorite. Much of that has to do with the nostalgia I hold for the positive vision that the original Epcot embodied.

That being said... Disney has long since stopped trying to keep up with the future. So much in Future World needs a drastic overhaul.

That is why elements of Project Gemini would have realistically been the right thing to do. Let the flaming begin.

Lucille

I still don't get why everyone is so anti-Cars theme. I mean, it doesn't really make sense at Epcot, of course. But as a ride, I think it would be nice. Carsland at California Adventure is going to be pretty great.

HM GhostHostess

I still don't get why everyone is so anti-Cars theme. I mean, it doesn't really make sense at Epcot, of course. But as a ride, I think it would be nice. Carsland at California Adventure is going to be pretty great.

I think the problem is that almost every new attraction seems to be character related, especially the Pixar characters. I love the Pixar movies, but Pixar has become so ubiquitous in the parks. It has gotten to the point where I feel kind of annoyed by it. Not to mention the fact that the movie, Cars, has nothing to do with the future, technology, or even the real world. Think about it, Cars takes place is some bizarre alternate universe where cars have taken over the role as humans on Earth. That doesn't seem like it fits in Epcot at all. Another slam against a Cars overlay at Test Track would be the fact that it would seem like a copy of the new Cars attraction at Disney's California Adventure. I wish the parks would stop getting so many clone attractions.

aladdin2007

I think the problem is that almost every new attraction seems to be character related, especially the Pixar characters. I love the Pixar movies, but Pixar has become so ubiquitous in the parks. It has gotten to the point where I feel kind of annoyed by it. Not to mention the fact that the movie, Cars, has nothing to do with the future, technology, or even the real world. Think about it, Cars takes place is some bizarre alternate universe where cars have taken over the role as humans on Earth. That doesn't seem like it fits in Epcot at all. Another slam against a Cars overlay at Test Track would be the fact that it would seem like a copy of the new Cars attraction at Disney's California Adventure. I wish the parks would stop getting so many clone attractions.

True, and also Cars at Epcot would be shoehorning it in just they shoehorned in Nemo at the Seas and Donald in Mexico. Cars at DCA is going to be great because its an entire huge attraction built from the ground up with an entire land to support it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom