Test Track refurb???

TestTrack

So you guys don't think that the attendance increase has nothing to do with the fact that there is now a "ride" there as opposed to just a large aquarium? That is what I would credit MOST of the attendance to rather than solely because they put nemo characters on the ride.

I never said no one liked the new version, I said that it pales in comparison to the attendance of rides of pavillions that have better thought out themes and more interesting ride experiences.

And to the person who implied that I am a person that will complain about everything...I actually consider myself the opposite. In fact, I have specifically avoided this site for some time because of only ever reading about the bad things at WDW. Everytime I have gone I've had a fantastic trip and can't really remember any significant disappointments.

Its a positive that the omnimover ride through the aquarium is back...its just disappointing that all they could do is throw a nemo overlay over it. It, to me, cheapens the Epcot experience somewhat. Similar to what Donald Duck in mexico does in my opinion.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So you guys don't think that the attendance increase has nothing to do with the fact that there is now a "ride" there as opposed to just a large aquarium? That is what I would credit MOST of the attendance to rather than solely because they put nemo characters on the ride.

I never said no one liked the new version, I said that it pales in comparison to the attendance of rides of pavillions that have better thought out themes and more interesting ride experiences.

And to the person who implied that I am a person that will complain about everything...I actually consider myself the opposite. In fact, I have specifically avoided this site for some time because of only ever reading about the bad things at WDW. Everytime I have gone I've had a fantastic trip and can't really remember any significant disappointments.

Its a positive that the omnimover ride through the aquarium is back...its just disappointing that all they could do is throw a nemo overlay over it. It, to me, cheapens the Epcot experience somewhat. Similar to what Donald Duck in mexico does in my opinion.
Of course that is possible but guests want Disney characters in Disney. I to loved the characterless Epcot but the hard fact is that the vast majority of guests did not. If a clown fish was needed to prevent TLS from becoming WoL 2.0 then so be it. Sure, Disney could have come up with something different but they had a know home run hitter on the bench that fit perfectly into the pavilion. Why not let him come to the plate?

TestTrack

Of course that is possible but guests want Disney characters in Disney. I to loved the characterless Epcot but the hard fact is that the vast majority of guests did not. If a clown fish was needed to prevent TLS from becoming WoL 2.0 then so be it. Sure, Disney could have come up with something different but they had a know home run hitter on the bench that fit perfectly into the pavilion. Why not let him come to the plate?

And that's a fair point. I recognize the star power that the characters have. However, When I talk to parents/adults the one common thing I usually hear from them is how much they loved Epcot. I actually just heard someone refer to MK as "Smoke and mirrors"(somewhat true) because he saw a ride when the lights came on and he was surprised how cheap the entire construction was(I assume a fantasyland ride). But he went on and on about how great Epcot was. So I wouldn't necessarily say that guests want disney character's at disney. Young Children sure...but any older than that and I would say they want immersive rides. Doesn't matter what the ride is as long as its a fun experience...I would point to Soarin's popularity as an example of this. No Disney Characters, no Disney music, no castle, just immersion.

Monorail_Orange

And that's a fair point. I recognize the star power that the characters have. However, When I talk to parents/adults the one common thing I usually hear from them is how much they loved Epcot. I actually just heard someone refer to MK as "Smoke and mirrors"(somewhat true) because he saw a ride when the lights came on and he was surprised how cheap the entire construction was(I assume a fantasyland ride). But he went on and on about how great Epcot was. So I wouldn't necessarily say that guests want disney character's at disney. Young Children sure...but any older than that and I would say they want immersive rides. Doesn't matter what the ride is as long as its a fun experience...I would point to Soarin's popularity as an example of this. No Disney Characters, no Disney music, no castle, just immersion.

Just have to have a little bit of fun with you and point out there are several hidden mickeys, Sleeping Beauty Castle, and Tinkerbell all in Soarin' :wave:

Theme Parkitect

Awww. A new theme? :( I sort of liked the test facility theme. As long as it still has to do somewhat with making cars or something like that and not the movie Cars, I'll be alright.

RSoxNo1

That has more to do with Crush and much less to do with putting Nemo on the omnimover ride. If Crush were not there and they still infused it with Nemo, attendance would probably not have gone up

Crush was there long before Nemo and produced a fair attendance increase. Attendance went up considerably once the Nemo dark ride opened.

The Seas Pavilion was absolutely dead before Nemo was added. I know some people on here loved the Seacabs but even prior to their closing the pavilion was still relatively quiet.

The issue of character infusion is that it's an easier fix than other potential options for the pavilion/attraction. Adding Nemo to that pavilion immediately revitalized it. The exhibits are probably the closest thing Epcot has to Edutainment right now outside of SSE and Innoventions. But look at how kids tour that pavilion. They'll look at the tank that has Clown fish and other species featured in the movie and call out the fish by their character names. The same thing happens at the Meerkat habitat in Pangani Forest. I hear guests saying the name Timon more often than they say Meerkat. People are on vacation, and most of them don't want to learn - instead they want to associate with the characters that they know and love.

Having said that, the pavilion could have been revitalized without character infusion - every attraction on property has room for improvement. That improvement could come through character infusion, with something else or a combination of the two.

The opposition of Nemo is two fold - there are people that will say that Nemo is the problem and not the usage of it or the scope of the attraction. I'd argue that if the Seacabs were replaced with a Nemo E-Ticket dark ride that wasn't always less than a 5 minute wait there would be far less protest. It's the same argument about proper theming of a land. If the resulting attraction is well liked, the faults regarding its theming or often overlooked. Splash Mountain and Soarin' are two of the most popular attractions on property yet they don't technically fit in thematically.

Tim_4

Awww. A new theme? :( I sort of liked the test facility theme. As long as it still has to do somewhat with making cars or something like that and not the movie Cars, I'll be alright.

The Living Seas was boring before the refurb.

I hope someone who's in the know can chime in on this refurb...

Test Track will be under wraps for some time in the next year or two but "retheme" is likely a more appropriate term than "refurb."

the-reason14

Test Track will be under wraps for some time in the next year or two but "retheme" is likely a more appropriate term than "refurb."

Will they be changing the name as well? 'Test' track can't really be called that if they get rid of the testing facility theme.

I like Test Track, and I enjoy riding it when I can, but I honestly won't be sad to see it down and get some love. Not sure how I feel just yet about a retheme, but a change of pace can't hurt honestly. Oh, a pun!!

RSoxNo1

This discussion came up a few months ago in this thread:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=764611

The original post is below

I'm not really sure of what to make of this rumor, but based on the information I have heard from various sources, it seems like it would be correct. According to a rumor I heard a while back, Test Track is scheduled to close for refurbishment for 6 months starting in January 2012. According to a new rumor I heard today, it's not going to be a refurbishment, but rather a overhaul of the entire attraction.

The new attraction will have a different name, still be sponsored by GM (who apparently made the call on it's creation), and be focused on the creation of new cars rather than testing. It will include a new fleet of vehicles (hopefully similar to the ones used in next gen Test Track rides such as Radiator Springs Racers) and some track modifications. The ride system and most of the track will apparently remain as is, which is why it will only take 6 months to make this happen.

I have a feeling we will be hearing more about this at D23 this year. It seems to be a completely realistic proposition, especially considering Epcot has a big anniversary next year and it's the park that has had the longest drought, not including minor attractions such as Captain EO's return or Innoventions.

Not really sure what to make of this, since I am a huge Test Track fan. Thoughts?

MansionGoer13z

All I want:

-New paintjob on cars

-NextGen queue, use the dummies already there (i.e., let you control them)

-And finally: please, please, PLEASE update the pre-show video!! So. 90's.

Yes! my sentiments exactly. Can't stand the woman who does the directing. Complete ride pre show overhaul a must.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom