Poly Worth 465 / Night?

ddbowdoin

I am starting planning for my honeymoon in July 2012... thinking 12 nights, spread out at a few resorts so we can get a few tastes of different resorts.

Last year we stayed at the Beach Club, first time staying on property for myself, whereas my fiance has never stayed off. She has stayed primarily at the BC and Boardwalk.

Simple question, is the Poly worth the hefty price ticket of 465 a night?

WOW

durangojim

When my wife and I went on our honeymoon in 2002 to Hawaii we stayed at some really fine resorts -- Halekulani, Princevile, and the Four Seasons on Maui. We paid between $400-600 per night at all of those locations. There is no way I would spend that at any Disney resort. We just returned from the Polynesian 2 days ago and it was wonderful, but not worth over $400/night. I suspect that discounts will become available and you'll be able to get a room for less than $400, also you can look into a AAA discount. The other factor is it worth it to you because this is hopefully your only honeymoon and something you'll remember for the rest of your life. In that case, if you can swing it, I'd pay the $465 a night. Also what class of room are you looking to stay in?

Upvote 0
My wife thinks Poly is well worth it.

Several things to consider,
1. Poly is extremly more romantic with the sandy beach, tiki torches etc. It's where I'll take my wife for our honeymoon/anniversary in a few years. Also cool, is watching MK Fireworks from the beach.

2. If you're not looking for atmosphere, and just a place to crash, then no, it's not worth that price.

3. The prices you were given are advance full-price rack rates. Past years have shown there will be some type of discount that will eventually come along.

4. You can apply any discount to any reservation. So the best thing is to book EXACTLY what you want so that it's guaranteed keeping in mind, that you can apply a discount whenever you hear about it. But if you wait til the discount comes out, what you want may not be available.

Just my 2¢ :wave:

Upvote 0

cinderellafan6

I personally would never spend that much a nite for any Disney Resort or any hotel for that matter. But as they said before,,there could always be discounts available.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

If you have the money, yes. It's our favorite resort. That being said, I would never pay that much per night to stay there. I'd try for at the very least a AAA if I couldn't get an AP or general discount.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
If you have the money, yes. It's our favorite resort. That being said, I would never pay that much per night to stay there. I'd try for at the very least a AAA if I couldn't get an AP or general discount.

yes, those are the full price racks. Since we're going 10+ nights we're going to swing AP's and try and head back later in the year and likely stay off property to save some bread. I may just book and then wait for a 25% discount or something... fingers crossed. Normally I just go and crash, but since we're extending the trip and its our honeymoon we'll have enough nights in the park so take it easy and enjoy dinner at Ohana and watch the fireworks on the beach. Normally I am 110% speed in the parks

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

It is highly unlikely that you would have to pay rack rates on the rooms. There always seems to be some sort of promotion that would save you money. However, you are probably going to be looking in the high 200-low 300 a night range.

I do really like the resort, but the price tag is rough. It's hard to really say if it is worth it, but with the increasing room costs I am pretty happy I purchased my DVC.

Upvote 0

MaryJaneP

Stayed there twice. $ for room = definitely not. $ for environment around Poly = maybe. I wouldn't rebook until after they refurb rooms. Since most guests are rarely in their room, Disney has no incentive to refurb. If you will rarely be in your room, consider $ as part of entire cost of trip.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Stayed there twice. $ for room = definitely not. $ for environment around Poly = maybe. I wouldn't rebook until after they refurb rooms. Since most guests are rarely in their room, Disney has no incentive to refurb. If you will rarely be in your room, consider $ as part of entire cost of trip.

They just did a room refurb 3-4 years ago. I wouldn't expect another one for quite some time.

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

It really depends on how much time you're planning to spend at the resort and/or in your room. It is your honeymoon so if you think you're going to be there enough to make it worth then go for it. As people said, it's likely your not going to pay the rack rate so definitely look for discounts. Most of the time you'll find at least one to use.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

It is highly unlikely that you would have to pay rack rates on the rooms. There always seems to be some sort of promotion that would save you money. However, you are probably going to be looking in the high 200-low 300 a night range.

I do really like the resort, but the price tag is rough. It's hard to really say if it is worth it, but with the increasing room costs I am pretty happy I purchased my DVC.

I have never seen a room at the Poly in the 200 range. Lowest has been in the 300's.

Upvote 0

wolf359

It's your honeymoon, the Polynesian is a beautiful resort; it seems like a great place to spend the money if you're looking for something special.

My wife and I stayed on the 14th floor of the Contemporary for our honeymoon, and didn't think twice about the insane price of the room. Our honeymoon was incredible, and I'm so glad we didn't try to talk ourselves out of spending the money.

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

If you have to care about the price, NO! I love the Poly, it is beautiful, strong theming, perhaps the best in all Disney resorts and the location is stunning.

But the Poly has it's flaws. When I stayed there last September for 5 nights a childhood dream came true as I had dreamed of staying since I saw it the first time in the early 80ies.

And as I said the paradise has some flaws. If I pay such an extraordinary amount of money I expect first-class hotel service, first-class housekeeping, first-class rooms etc. I mean honestly you pay as much money (or even more) for the room as you pay at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC, the Adlon in Berlin, the Ritz in London, The Breakers at Boca Raton etc. In these hotels the management would consider it a major flaw if you would find any tiny stain in your room.
But the rooms and especially the housekeeping in the Poly are sub-par, cleanliness definitely is a problem. The housekeeping didn't manage to wipe our (really) dirty windows clean in FIVE days and after three complaints! Cobwebs on the balcony were not removed either before I had complained twice at the reception. The bathrooms are nice but definitely not deluxe standard, the furniture is the same, it looks used.

It's a beautiful resort but I would never pay the price again as long as they don't improve service and housekeeping. We prefer WL instead although the rooms there are actually to small for a deluxe.

Disney resorts were always overpriced but it's getting ridiculous by now.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I have never seen a room at the Poly in the 200 range. Lowest has been in the 300's.

It's probably been a couple years, but there were some deep discounts where in some seasons you probably saw high 200's...right below that 300 range. However, you are correct that at this point that would probably be impossible to find.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom