Star Tours II - Ride reviews

hazelrah

This ride is too awesome. Rode it 2.5 times today (it broke down halfway through my second ride and we had to be transferred to a new cabin).

Hard to talk about without giving everything away, but here are the highlights:

1) The clarity of the screen is stunning. I have never ridden a simulator with such vibrant color and detail. the whole thing is CGI, so there's a little bit of hyperrealism that comes with that, but the good far outweighs the bad.

2) For me, it did not cause as much motion sickness as Star Tours I or Body Wars. I think it's because you're actually on planets for a lot of it, without a nebulous star field behind you, and it slows down at points for the hologram transmission, etc., giving you a chance to catch your breath.

3) It's just jam-packed Star Wars from start to finish. The original had the Death Star, but most of it was created for the ride (Rex, the comets, the vehicle, the dock, etc.). This new one has familiar planets, ships, and tons of character appearances (the only familiar characters we got in the first one were R2, 3PO, and generic X-wing pilots).

4) The randomized aspect is really fun. Nice to FINALLY see a ride doing this the right way (yes, I'm scolding you Spaceship Earth).

5) If I had to complain about anything, it was that Vader's voice impersonator wasn't "on model." But that's a very minor quibble.

6) When I blasted out of the hanger behind the Millenium Falcon, straight into a Star Destroyer space battle, I darn near wept tears of happiness. This is what the prequels should have been.

All in all, I think Disney has a MAJOR hit on its hands, and I know I'm a biased Disney freak, but I'd ride this over Forbidden Journey any day :)

ms7479a

Just out of curiosity. For those of you who have ridden it, how do you think the cast members are handling things?

Mad Stitch

What's up with all the "without revealing any spoilers" comments? It will be quite some time before I can experience it for myself so I want details! Where do I find them?

Thurp

I'm not a Star Wars fan myself, in fact, I know nothing about the Star Wars universe, so if there was more to the backstory or anything that was going on in the ride, it went right over my head.

Having said that, I enjoyed it for what it was, a great simulator ride. The animation was very high quality, projected digitally. The simulators no longer make the rattling noise we were all used to.

SMALL SPOILER START - At some point there is something about a spy in the vehicle and they show the picture of a person in the ride. The people who belong to that person's party laugh out loud, the rest of the people didn't really know what was going on - SMALL SPOILER STOP

DESTINATION SPOILER START - Keep in mind I know nothing about Star Wars. We ended up in some ice-covered planet. We slid all of the place. We almost fell down a cliff, just like in Mission Space. We then went back into space, Yoda came on. I forget what he said. Next thing I knew, we were in a gigantic city avoiding flying traffic until we reached our destination. Sorry I cannot be any more descriptive. - DESTINATION SPOILER END

I always have trouble with 3D movies, I can either not see the 3D or the images are doubled. I didn't have the doubled image problem but, to me, everything was perfectly flat. There was no 3D effect. I must have been the only one because everyone in the vehicle "ooooh"ed when the wall came down and you saw the first few shots of the movie. The people in my party all said that while nothing came out at you, there was plenty of depth. I didn't see any of it.

It was a fun experience, very well done. But again, this is coming from someone with no knowledge or interest in the Star Wars universe. I like the idea of having many different possible destinations and events because this will keep the ride fresh for me.

Job well done, Disney!

FigmentJedi

I'm not a Star Wars fan myself, in fact, I know nothing about the Star Wars universe, so if there was more to the backstory or anything that was going on in the ride, it went right over my head.
Do you suppose coming out from under your rock to check out the new attraction might be enough that you'll give the movies a look? Because I find it really jarring when people haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies.

Thurp

Do you suppose coming out from under your rock to check out the new attraction might be enough that you'll give the movies a look? Because I find it really jarring when people haven't seen any of the Star Wars movies.

I have SEEN them all because of my friends, but I have no interest in the series. I don't have any encyclopedic knowledge of this universe. It's simply not my cup of tea.

You see, there's a wide world of interests out there. I'm sorry that mine don't match yours.

I rode the new attraction because I'm in a position where I can do that. I ride every new attraction regardless of the theme.

Thurp

Just out of curiosity. For those of you who have ridden it, how do you think the cast members are handling things?

The Cast Members through the queue were more interested in making sure that no one took pictures or videos of the experience than in anything else.

The loading procedure is the same as its always been and other than saying "may be force be with you" I didn't notice anything special or different than they did or said compared to the old Star Tours.

I have three sisters. here ill talk about two of them. ONE absolutely doesnt get whats so great about star wars, has seen a few movies(maybe 2 i dont remember) and the other can quote star wars right along with me and wants to go to Starwars weekend with me in 2012.

Some people just dont "get" whats great about star wars. Just like i dont get the movie the 10 commandments but i dont judge people who like it

thelookingglass

Rode several times today and I'm simply amazed. This is absolutely the best thing Disney could have done with this overhaul!

THOUGHTS: (this contains SPOILERS, so if you want to be totally surprised, skip this post)

- Everything looks so fresh, clean, modern, and awesome. All the TVs were replaced with HD monitors. All the signage and lighting replaced. You'd never know this was the run down, dumpy ride it was 10 months ago.
- The simulators must have gotten some serious overhaul and not just cosmetically, because they too seem like brand new vehicles. They no longer rattle and squeek like they did near the end of Star Tours' life. The movement is noticeably more aggressive, fast, and accurate, making the ride considerably more thrilling than before.
- The screens look amazing and the 3D is great and not gimmicky.
- The ride is CGI, but the best looking CGI for a simulator yet. Blows The Simpsons ride away (even though that was CGI representing animation)
- Some people will probably complain about it being CGI, but it needed to be CGI to be that incredibly crisp and vibrant and smooth, and also enables them to more accurately program the vehicle motions. That said, this is the most accurate, realistic simulator I've ever experienced.
- The random sequences adds much excitement to the ride. People cheer when they arrive at a planet they haven't seen yet. With 54 different combinations that all flow awesomely, this is how random SHOULD be done!
- C3P0 as your pilot is awesome, and the animatronics are great! They even turn to look at the person who is the "spy" (which I'm still confused as to how they're chosen or how the picture is taken)
- This version is a MUCH better tribute to the Star Wars universe than the original ride. All the different characters, locations, etc, and with the light-hearted humor and quirkiness of the original trilogy.
- Thankfully, Lucas knew his audience, and while the ride is a perfect mix of original and new trilogy material, you don't have to be a "prequel nerd" to appreciate or understand any of this.
- Rex is in the second room of the queue, and he is labeled as "defective". Great touch! There are other various nods to the original here and there, but I don't want to spoil them.
- Locations/variations: I was able to catch all the sequences except the Speederbike one. They're all great, though it will take me more rides to pick my favorite. The transitions from light speed to planet surface (and planet surface to space) are very well done. Also, each finale has a totally different ending. Instead of just saying the same things at a different location, different things happen at the end of each scenario.
- The different environments you see are great - actually being on planets increases the sensation of speed, and its cool how your journey could take you to two planets, or a planet and space battle.

Very minor nitpicks:
- I know the ride film basically had to be CGI to have this kind of 3D effect to stay crisp while moving around, but I wish the pre-show scenes had not been CGI.
- What was the point of creating Ally San-San and Ace and making a big deal out of them? They are barely in it and I don't think their names are even mentioned or what their purpose is.
- Should have had James Earl Jones play Darth Vader. Oh, wait, apparently it WAS him. It didn't sound much like him.
- Why is it called "The Adventure Continues..." if this is a prequel?

All in all, Disney absolutely knocked it out of the park with this remake. They spared no expenses, and all of our worries about this being a cheap overhaul like what Space Mountain got can be put to rest! This wasn't just an overhaul and re-theme, this is a full-fledged, brand new E-Ticket attraction. In my opinion, this is by far the best thing to hit WDW since Expedition: Everest, and I think its going to be a huge hit!

Bravo, WDI! I knew you still had it in you!

joanna71985

I ended up riding 27 times over 2 days, and just love the ride! I was able to see all the different segments, and found which ones I like the best. I think this ride will do very well when it reopens

Well, I know most of the CMs there. But I thought they did a good job with everything

AEfx

- Why is it called "The Adventure Continues..." if this is a prequel?

I've seen a couple of people mention that, but it makes great sense to me now because of the dual meanings. Initially I found it a little bland, but I realize how appropriate it is now.

They couldn't call it Star Tours 2. Well, they could have, but then people would ask, "Well then where is Star Tours 1?" It would be confusing to people who didn't ride/weren't aware of the old one, or new to the park. "The Adventure Continues..." can be taken as the Star Wars films being the adventure, and this ride continuing that adventure (regardless of time frame).

It also works for those that do know of the previous ride - as "The Adventure Continues..." could also be seen as the adventure from the previous ride continues. Yes, the time frame is before, but you can continue an adventure regardless, again, of time frame.

JohnnyDollaz89

well the 1st Star Tours made me really clostraphobic with how tight it was i hope they improved on this one but hearing that 12 people got sick from it is not a good thing for me since i get sick very easily

AEfx

well the 1st Star Tours made me really clostraphobic with how tight it was i hope they improved on this one but hearing that 12 people got sick from it is not a good thing for me since i get sick very easily

Do not ever go on Mission: Space if you find Star Tours tight. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom