Working at Disney- Ruin the Magic???

britdaw

At any job, you're going to have your good days and your bad. It's definitely not the same, but a few years ago, I worked for AT&T. I remember being SO excited to be hired into what I had always thought of as one of the best corporations to work for. After all, the name alone is a respected one, so I was really happy to tell people "I work for AT&T".
I was a call center representative, and I had days where I left work with a spring in my step, so excited that I saved someone $50 a month on their cell phone bill, and other days I'd leave wanting to go track down John Doe in Chicago IL and beat the hell out of him.
When you work in a job where you deal with the public, it's not all sunshine in roses, so I imagine working in Disney would have it's moments, too. However I still hope to be able to work there one day. The very idea of getting to make millions of children's dreams come true or help making a family's vacation amazing is enough to make me hope it happens one day. However, since my husband is planning on being career military, I doubt I'll ever get to. :\

Alektronic

So in about 5 - 10 years.. what would be step on for a "retired old guy".. just send a resume' and take any position offered???

I've got one more year 'til my 20th here in public education.. I want to be the "old guy" at Playhouse Disney Jr... ;)

Just sending in a resume won't do anything for you. The best way is to come into the Casting bldg, and get a current open job positions sheet and apply for one of those jobs, they usually will give you an interview the same day.

One of the best CM's I know is a retired teacher. His name is Lonnie and works at American Adventure, he is really knowledgable about American history and really enjoys sharing his knowledge.

flavious27

Yes, this is what I am afraid of... when you see the "nuts and bolts".. it just becomes a "regular job"..

Well really any job is a regular job unless you make it more than that. Even though the curtain has been yanked open and you see the facade that makes the magic, I think that you also get to see the immense operation that tdo runs to make wdw the happiest place on earth. Is that not why we watch the modern marvel wdw special and the other tv specials that give us an "insider" view.

muse1983

A part of me has always wanted to work behind the scenes in some fashion yet at the same time I have always pondered the same question as the OP. If I was offered a lucrative position working behind the scenes at WDW (and by lucrative I mean 100,000 a year..which yes I know immediately gets rid of 99.9% of all jobs in the park) then I would consider it.

In the end I would rather leave the inner workings alone and just continue to enjoy being a guest in the most magical place on earth.

EvanAnderson

Curious is to how the guests try to "scam you"? How do they try to get you fired?? Please, give details.. this is facinating to me..

Well working in attractions, they'll try to get by the rules, sneak small kids on, try to get by with fake FastPasses or expired ones, then when you try to stop them, they tell you that you're the one who has ruined their vacation, then they'll tell you that they're going to guest relations to report you and they'll tell you "I'll have your job for this!!!"

muse1983

Well working in attractions, they'll try to get by the rules, sneak small kids on, try to get by with fake FastPasses or expired ones, then when you try to stop them, they tell you that you're the one who has ruined their vacation, then they'll tell you that they're going to guest relations to report you and they'll tell you "I'll have your job for this!!!"

Want....so someone has ACTUALLY yelled "I'll have your job for this!!!"?:ROFLOL:

HS0411

Want....so someone has ACTUALLY yelled "I'll have your job for this!!!"?:ROFLOL:

You'd be surprised what people will say to try to get their way. I had a lady when I was working at AS Movies FD curse me out and demand that my manager fire me on the spot because I couldn't place her in a room in the Toy Story buildings because she promised her son that he could sleep next to Buzz and didn't want to be the "mean" parent. You just have to brush it aside and laugh sometimes (just not in their face).

Crockett

Banned
A few things I've noticed over the years visiting Disney. At WDW you have mostly two groups: The retirees, and the college-aged employees. Obviously the CP is going to reel in a lot of that age, and many jobs are perfect for retirees to make some extra $$ on the side. But what about the in-betweens? Maybe I just don't pay close enough attention, but I rarely see non-college aged, non-retired aged CM's. I know they are there, but not seen as often.

While as, when visiting Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea back in '07, I noticed a lot more of the 30's, 40's and 50's age-range mixed in with the retirees and younger CM's. It was more of a widespread mix.

Either way, I enjoy Disney as a guest. I appreciate what the CM's do and all they put up with. But what makes Disney special for me is that it truely is an escape from the day-to-day.

muse1983

I think a lot of the CM's forget sometimes how their actions and attitudes can really make or break people's vacation in certain situations. I'm kind of going back here talking about finding the rare grumpy CM around the park... I remember telling at least 5-10 CM's last time we were in WDW how much I appreciated their service and how it really enhances the magic that so many people expect from WDW.

For example: Hollywood Studios is an amazing park yet in my opinion without the Citizens of Hollywood it would lose a ton of it's "magic". I cannot tell you how much fun my wife and I had interacting and talking to Cynthia Bloom, Joodie Patootie (one of my favorites), Melvin Macheezmo, Percival Peabody and Vladimir Pooey (my all time favorite). If I had a way to personally e-mail each of them I would just to let them know how much we enjoyed them.

flavious27

A few things I've noticed over the years visiting Disney. At WDW you have mostly two groups: The retirees, and the college-aged employees. Obviously the CP is going to reel in a lot of that age, and many jobs are perfect for retirees to make some extra $$ on the side. But what about the in-betweens? Maybe I just don't pay close enough attention, but I rarely see non-college aged, non-retired aged CM's. I know they are there, but not seen as often.

While as, when visiting Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea back in '07, I noticed a lot more of the 30's, 40's and 50's age-range mixed in with the retirees and younger CM's. It was more of a widespread mix.

Either way, I enjoy Disney as a guest. I appreciate what the CM's do and all they put up with. But what makes Disney special for me is that it truely is an escape from the day-to-day.

I think the pay rate keeps those in betweens out as cms.

flavious27

This happens in every job and career, the burger flippers making $6/hr.

Elonwy

I came from a Disney freak family before I spent 2 years working at WDW. I already had a good base of believing in the Pixie Dust before I worked there which helps to preserve the magic.

My first day of real work (after the week long, incredibly cheesy, even for a Disney freak, brainwashing course) I saw a girl backstage dressed as Mickey but with the head off screaming into a cell phone about how much of a d!*K her boyfriend is.

I lived at Vista Way (aka Vista Lay) and dodged random couples having ______ in the parking lot, hot tub, volleyball court and my shower on a daily basis and partied my @$$ off almost every single night (we Canadians had quite the reputations for parties at Vista Lay) which left me feeling less than chipper most mornings. So it's not all sweet innocence for CM's which I'm sure you knew.

BUT...

Every single day I had a smile on my face that was only removed backstage, when I was tired. I was frequently nominated for CM awards and was known for bringing the magic to my area. If you have ever seen a Canadian CM teaching moose calls to kids or highland dancing during Off Kilter that would have been me!

Besides CM's have their own magic moments making the best friends they will ever have there. I still visit and keep in touch with my Canadian CM's and arrival group after almost 15 years. I also dated "Tigger" while I was there and when the red bus would pass by he would jump off the back and hand me a flower or a chocolate or a note...how magical is that!? When kids asked if I really know Tigger I would say "Oh I know Tigger and he really is a bouncy wonderful thing":animwink:

Yes, I bitched about guests backstage and we had "Tacky Tourist" parties to make fun of vacationers choice in fashion but it was all in good fun.

To this day when I visit WDW it brings tears to my eyes when I first step into my resort hotel and they say "Welcome Home"

I would go back to work there in a minute (even though I'm no spring chicken anymore) and I believe in the magic as much (if not more) than before. I just know how it feels from the other side.

HS0411

I came from a Disney freak family before I spent 2 years working at WDW. I already had a good base of believing in the Pixie Dust before I worked there which helps to preserve the magic.

My first day of real work (after the week long, incredibly cheesy, even for a Disney freak, brainwashing course) I saw a girl backstage dressed as Mickey but with the head off screaming into a cell phone about how much of a d!*K her boyfriend is.

I lived at Vista Way (aka Vista Lay) and dodged random couples having ______ in the parking lot, hot tub, volleyball court and my shower on a daily basis and partied my @$$ off almost every single night (we Canadians had quite the reputations for parties at Vista Lay) which left me feeling less than chipper most mornings. So it's not all sweet innocence for CM's which I'm sure you knew.

BUT...

Every single day I had a smile on my face that was only removed backstage, when I was tired. I was frequently nominated for CM awards and was known for bringing the magic to my area. If you have ever seen a Canadian CM teaching moose calls to kids or highland dancing during Off Kilter that would have been me!

Besides CM's have their own magic moments making the best friends they will ever have there. I still visit and keep in touch with my Canadian CM's and arrival group after almost 15 years. I also dated "Tigger" while I was there and when the red bus would pass by he would jump off the back and hand me a flower or a chocolate or a note...how magical is that!? When kids asked if I really know Tigger I would say "Oh I know Tigger and he really is a bouncy wonderful thing":animwink:

Yes, I bitched about guests backstage and we had "Tacky Tourist" parties to make fun of vacationers choice in fashion but it was all in good fun.

To this day when I visit WDW it brings tears to my eyes when I first step into my resort hotel and they say "Welcome Home"

I would go back to work there in a minute (even though I'm no spring chicken anymore) and I believe in the magic as much (if not more) than before. I just know how it feels from the other side.

Very well put.

I think the CP/ICP CM due have a different experience because they also live with who they work with. I've been a CP, full time CM, and DCL CM, and each one has their own advantages and disadvantages. From work collegues, I keep in closest contact with my roommates that did the ICP program.

PS-- Even as little '06, Canadians still had the best parties and the most fun to go out with!

wizards8507

I think the pay rate keeps those in betweens out as cms.

It keeps them out as *hourly*, *on-stage* CMs. You can't support a family as a fast food cashier, whether its at McDonald's or Walt Disney World. The "career" cast members are more likely to be in management, finance, or another "degree required" position.

^This,^ in my opinion, is why the College Program is fairly useless. It'll set you up nicely for a fun summer, or if your life dream is to check the seat belts on Expedition Everest, but it does nothing to help you get the career that is the whole reason you went to college in the first place.

HS0411

It keeps them out as *hourly*, *on-stage* CMs. You can't support a family as a fast food cashier, whether its at McDonald's or Walt Disney World. The "career" cast members are more likely to be in management, finance, or another "degree required" position.

^This,^ in my opinion, is why the College Program is fairly useless. It'll set you up nicely for a fun summer, or if your life dream is to check the seat belts on Expedition Everest, but it does nothing to help you get the career that is the whole reason you went to college in the first place.

I hate to do this, but I got to disagree with you on that. For me personally, I would have never got the job with DCL without being a CP. Once they found out I was a CP during the interview, all they asked me was about living with foreigners. They didn't care about my experience. My roommate got a management role in Entertainment due to his CP. About half of my managers at AS were former CPs (and one of them threw the best parties when were in college together-- talk about a small world!). Do you become a manager overnight? No. But I think the best managers at WDW are the ones that were a CP. They know what it's like to work the frontline and can appreciate the CMs that do. Does it work out for everyone? Probably not, but I think there was more success than failure.

wizards8507

I hate to do this, but I got to disagree with you on that. For me personally, I would have never got the job with DCL without being a CP. Once they found out I was a CP during the interview, all they asked me was about living with foreigners. They didn't care about my experience. My roommate got a management role in Entertainment due to his CP. About half of my managers at AS were former CPs (and one of them threw the best parties when were in college together-- talk about a small world!). Do you become a manager overnight? No. But I think the best managers at WDW are the ones that were a CP. They know what it's like to work the frontline and can appreciate the CMs that do. Does it work out for everyone? Probably not, but I think there was more success than failure.

All I know is that when I was down for my "Super Day" of interviews, none of the candidates for salaried positions were from the College Program. There were a couple who had done Disney Professional Internships, and the rest had held internships at companies like PricewaterhouseCoopers, JPMorgan Chase, McDonalds, GE, and Exxon. For reference, there were 30-40 candidates applying for 10ish positions.

When you refer to the "managers" at the parks that get promoted from the rank-and-file, what kind of position are we talking about? I worked in fast food all through high school, and we had "managers" who made a dollar or two more per hour than the regular crew and wore a different colored shirt. I don't know how it works at Disney, but if its along those lines then I still wouldn't consider the CP a "career building" opportunity.

I certainly understand that money isn't everything and that there are various opportunities within Disney Parks and Resorts, but this might go to what previous posters observed about a lack of 25-55 year old cast members "on stage" at WDW.

flavious27

Very well put.

I think the CP/ICP CM due have a different experience because they also live with who they work with. I've been a CP, full time CM, and DCL CM, and each one has their own advantages and disadvantages. From work collegues, I keep in closest contact with my roommates that did the ICP program.

PS-- Even as little '06, Canadians still had the best parties and the most fun to go out with!

I agree, I worked my high school summers at a resident boy scout and most of the staff lived together. I feel we had a closer bond than when I worked at arby's and cvs during the school year. You can't p!ss off the people you worked with at camp because you live with them the other part of the day, and we had staff members that left because they could not understand that chemistry.

flavious27

That is true and that is why the in betweens have less customer experience and exposure. I doubt that guests will see the low and middle level management at the park unless there is a problem. As for the degree oriented, back office positions guests won't see them unless those employees are witnesses in a trial.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom